A little advice/plea (medical) | Golden Skate

A little advice/plea (medical)

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
When most people think about something ending or hurting their skating career, they probably immediately think of some sort of injury. I thought the same... and because of that neglect, mine is now over. I finally finished passing all of my tests, was giddy happy about it, and thrn wound up getting bacterial meningitis. For anyone, especially teens or college students out there that skate, get the vaccine. :bow: Don't let it ruin your chances of skating again too. The symptoms are so easy to mistake if you are an athlete... I thought I just had a cold at first (something I commonly would get from skating and the cold environment) and the stiff neck and other aches I just attributed to practicing too much. If one person reads it and winds up getting vaccinated that wouldn't have otherwise, I'll be a happy camper. It would kill me to see someone else's skating dreams crash like mine did.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
beth, I am so sorry to hear this. I hope you will regain your health soon. And I hope others heed your thoughtful warning..

jjane45

On the Ice
I am really sorry to hear this. Did the doc find out what was the likely factor? Long skating hours, extreme cold, or just luck of the draw? :|
Will definitely check out the vaccine, thank you for your great advice, bethissoawesome!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I am really sorry to hear this. Did the doc find out what was the likely factor? Long skating hours, extreme cold, or just luck of the draw? :|
Will definitely check out the vaccine, thank you for your great advice, bethissoawesome!

Bacterial meningitis is contagious, so unless OP has a structural defect of the respiratory system (esp the nose/sinus area), she almost certainly picked it up via airborne proximity to somebody infected. It does tend to strike harder at teens and young adults, partially because many are in close-living situations like dormitories and camps. It tends to be seen more in winter because people are indoors and in closer proximity to one another. Vaccine is not a bad idea.

Hopefully, OP will recover fully without any follow-on issues, and can eventually get back to skating, at least for recreation and skills improvement, even if not for competition.

Last edited: