Delobel/Schoenfelder interview and FD practice clips | Golden Skate

Delobel/Schoenfelder interview and FD practice clips

Final Flight
http://www.lequipe.fr/Ski/20091125_162041_delobel-schoenfelder-derniere-quete.html

a little late in dicovery, but it's a nice and lengthy interview with both skaters that include many questions that are actually answered with the time given and several practice clips

it's cute in the beginning how the interviewer asked the pair to introduce each other since they new each other well enough.

but basically, they ask the same questions and tell the obvious.

pregnancy, baby is great, pregnancy as an athlete is "extraordinaire"
olivier's doings while she was off, their views on how they will manage to go through this season, their opinions on the concept of the olympics,
talking about how they just push harder no matter how difficult it might be, blurbs on what made them last so long, training schedules, isabelle talking about her love for skating is what made her go back asap, work with what they have, how their team works with dealing with each other working together towards their GOAL....all in no particular order. just what my rusty french can pick up.

CLIPS:
this program will be very, very emotional. judging from such a quick clip you can still see their...presence on ice. now with evident emotion.

then suddenly footwork practice with muriel - cute! i dont really see coaches, especially muriel with Del/Sch, get up close and go technical.

like i said before, this time off-competition really "recharged" these two, to my eye at least. by the looks of their serpentine, its very vivacious and strong. no wild tanith faces, no pseudo V/M romances, but they're uniquely personal on ice - with theme and presentation.

olivier closes interview talking about how they, with their experience and age (reasons of this being their last?), will try to do an excellent performance without mistakes, have quality of their programs, have maturity in order to get a medal....(GOLDDDDDD!)

this will be a great FD regardless of results. certainly, EASILY imaginable to be that olympic moment as they do their final pose, i can just feel it.

cannot wait :clap:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Does it mention anywhere what they are skating to? It would be very interesting if they skated well enough for a medal. Are they skating in Europeans?

N

n_halifax

It is a French adaptation of the song "The Impossible Dream" from "Man Of La Mancha"... Liz Manley skated a breathtaking number back in 94, 95 and 96 to Luther Vandross' version of the version of the English song. It is a stunning and fitting choice for Isabelle and Olivier at what will probably be their Olympic swan song. They (I believe) are withdrawing from Europeans to spend more time preparing for the Olympics in Vancouver.

Final Flight
It is a French adaptation of the song "The Impossible Dream" from "Man Of La Mancha"... Liz Manley skated a breathtaking number back in 94, 95 and 96 to Luther Vandross' version of the version of the English song. It is a stunning and fitting choice for Isabelle and Olivier at what will probably be their Olympic swan song.

Pang/ Tong also chose this for their LP, but the Joe Hisaishi orchestral version.

personally, Brel's version is more powerful than the original english. something very and effortlessly poetic about the french language....and his vocals and RrRrRrs :biggrin:

They (I believe) are withdrawing from Europeans to spend more time preparing for the Olympics in Vancouver.

what makes you say so?
how would a performance not be a mode of practice?
traveling to estonia?

if i were them, just go. see how ISU like it, than go blindly into the olympic stage.

preparing-schmaring

Last edited:
N

n_halifax

Pang/ Tong also chose this for their LP, but the Joe Hisaishi orchestral version.

personally, Brel's version is more powerful than the original english. something very and effortlessly poetic about the french language....and his vocals and RrRrRrs :biggrin:

what makes you say so?
how would a performance not be a mode of practice?
traveling to estonia?

if i were them, just go. see how ISU like it, than go blindly into the olympic stage.

preparing-schmaring

I personally prefer the Luther Vandross version but I do agree this version is extremely beautiful and certainly will grab the audience's attention at the Olympics. I think it's going to really exciting to see them in Vancouver.

KKonas

Medalist

preparing-schmaring

All the skaters say they are in great shape - going for Olympic gold, blah, blah, blah. I seriously doubt you can tell just by a brief clip how good a program is or their stamina, etc. If Delobel & Schoenfelder are really ready, just go to Euros and skate and prove it!

viv

On the Ice
They are not at Europeans. According to a statement of the French Federation there:

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-skating/news/newsid=25761.html

the reason is:

"For purely strategic reasons, related entirely to the element of surprise regarding their innovative new free programme, the FFSG took the decision that the couple will begin their competitive season at the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver."

Am I the only one who thinks this is completely blah?

Well, if they can skate up to the level of Jacques Brel :bow: singing about the impossible dream :love: :boohoo: :love:, they will win OGM for sure.

Go, Isabel and Olivier! :bow: :rock:

N

n_halifax

I'm just really excited to see what this 'surprise element' is. ;) Go Isabelle and Olivier! :biggrin:

viv

On the Ice
Well, if they can skate up to the level of Jacques Brel :bow: singing about the impossible dream :love: :boohoo: :love:, they will win OGM for sure.

Go, Isabel and Olivier! :bow: :rock:

You think the judges like that they announce their withdrawal from Europeans "for strategic reasons"? I don't think so. I think it's arrogant and provocative. Why didn't they just say she needs a bit more time after the baby? It very likely would have been the truth, and everybody would have understood it. I always liked their skating but this is a kind of behaviour - towards their fans, their rivals and the judges - that annoys me completely.

Gosh, viv, I love you too. But how did you know I have D&S & the Olympic judges wrapped around my little finger? I've tried to be so modest about my Powers.
:rofl:

Final Flight
pre-olympic fluff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-vBOhQIlgQ

talking about how long there career has lasted.
FD info - why "the quest"

"do you really know your partner?" game:
- olivier's middle name
- isabelle's boot size
- what isabelle would bring to vancouver

GAH can't wait

p.s. that's right practice your compulsory....don let torino CD happen again!