Do men need the quad at this Olympics? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Do men need the quad at this Olympics?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
:love:
plushy is spectacular:boohoo:

i thought this was lysacek.;)what go big does he do?
On the other hand, johnny has great jumps, smooth steps, very very nice spins and he is original.

AND Johnny has such nice hair! As for Jeremy - well, I just don't get it. His skating is boring and he always looks five seconds from tears.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
plushy is spectacular:boohoo:

On the other hand, johnny has great jumps, smooth steps, very very nice spins and he is original.

And Joubert isn't?

Evan's jumps are big even if he doesn't have a quad. And his 3a is more consistent than Johnny's. Plus he is FAST.

Johnny's pretty good, I just think he is just past his prime at this point. Kind of like Fumie.

seniorita

Record Breaker
And Joubert isn't?
i thought we agreed joubert is really beautiful;)I m left with spectacular for plushy, dont take and this away from me:laugh:
Johnny of worlds 08 is not that far, and I really liked him there, people wrote him off too fast last year, so they did for Buttle before the same worlds as well;) He is one of the quadless guys i will be pleased to see on podium!:clap:
On top of that as kwanford said he has great hair.:p

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist

I thought his arms swung as big as they can. Does that count?;)

To answer the thread title, I certainly hope so. Or I, wish my opinion counts, will rate this Olympics the worst Olympics ever.:)

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
i thought we agreed joubert is really beautiful;)I m left with spectacular for plushy, dont take and this away from me:laugh:
Johnny of worlds 08 is not that far, and I really liked him there, people wrote him off too fast last year, so they did for Buttle before the same worlds as well;) He is one of the quadless guys i will be pleased to see on podium!:clap:
On top of that as kwanford said he has great hair.:p

I do love a pretty boy...
:rofl:

I thought his arms swinged as big as they can. Does that count?;)

:rofl::rofl:According to the GPF judges it does... Its so mean, but even after all these years, I simply cannot appreciate Evan's skating. I don't know why and he's the one skater that I always feel bad about. Abbott - no guilt at all. he's soo not my type of skater... I just want him to go away. One day a scientist will conduct a experiement on why we like some skaters and not others - I hope they include me, because I seriously want to know why some skaters just leave me cold...Lambiel is like that. I just don't get it.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Anyone know if Joubert is conceited in person or nice? I've always wondered if he was a "man diva" or not. Lol, he also looks like a football player out there; Lysacek is tall and lanky, Oda and Takahashi are straight out tiny, Verner and most of the other guys are long and lean, then there's muscles Joubert! I wonder if they are just for show, perhaps it isn't intentional and he just builds muscle easily like one of my favorite ladies Joannie! If she wins an OM I hope they show her in magazines in an outfit that shows off her ripped arms and shoulders :laugh:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Anyone know if Joubert is conceited in person or nice? I've always wondered if he was a "man diva" or not. Lol, he also looks like a football player out there; Lysacek is tall and lanky, Oda and Takahashi are straight out tiny, Verner and most of the other guys are long and lean, then there's muscles Joubert! I wonder if they are just for show, perhaps it isn't intentional and he just builds muscle easily like one of my favorite ladies Joannie! If she wins an OM I hope they show her in magazines in an outfit that shows off her ripped arms and shoulders :laugh:

Joubert has never come across as arrogant to me, but I know many posters who feel he's a sucky whiny baby...so who knows. And according to my son, Joubert plays recreational soccer but that could be wishful thinking on the monster child's part since he'd rather die than admit to being a fan. He's 12.

Now, my husband has a line for JoRo whenever she's on the ice: "what's that soccer player doing ice skating?!? What a waste of an athlete!" He thinks he's funny...

Medusa

Record Breaker
And according to my son, Joubert plays recreational soccer but that could be wishful thinking on the monster child's part since he'd rather die than admit to being a fan. He's 12.
I don't know if Joubert plays much football, but he often said that he enjoyed it very much and was/is apparently quite good at it. Brian also plays Tennis, he fences, does some off-ice workout, but I think he said he limits off-ice workouts, because he doesn't want his muscles to become too big.

What hit me in real-life, when I saw him in normal clothes, and when I stood just a few metres from him once, is that he is actually a rather slender guy. Fairly tall (well, I am 5 feet 5, so everything above 5 feet 8 looks tall to me), but really slender and lean. And absolutely stunningly handsome, in person even more so than on TV and on photographs.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Kwanfan said:
Joubert has never come across as arrogant to me, but I know many posters who feel he's a sucky whiny baby...so who knows. And according to my son, Joubert plays recreational soccer but that could be wishful thinking on the monster child's part since he'd rather die than admit to being a fan. He's 12.

Now, my husband has a line for JoRo whenever she's on the ice: "what's that soccer player doing ice skating?!? What a waste of an athlete!" He thinks he's funny...

Lol, my Dad does the same thing. Everytime we watch skating and she comes on he says: "Why isn't that girl a gymnast? Look at those muscles!" :laugh: . Apparently the people in Canada always ask her if she's ever played/considered playing hockey (probably because she'd be really good at it! :rock: ) and she just gets embarrassed and says she's bad with a stick. A blogger once said she looked like Serena Williams next to the asian skaters, haha love JoRo :agree:

I don't know if Joubert plays much football, but he often said that he enjoyed it very much and was/is apparently quite good at it. Brian also plays Tennis, he fences, does some off-ice workout, but I think he said he limits off-ice workouts, because he doesn't want his muscles to become too big.

What hit me in real-life, when I saw him in normal clothes, and when I stood just a few metres from him once, is that he is actually a rather slender guy. Fairly tall (well, I am 5 feet 5, so everything above 5 feet 8 looks tall to me), but really slender and lean. And absolutely stunningly handsome, in person even more so than on TV and on photographs.

His NBC bio says he's 5'10" and 164 lb, which is not that much for a guy of his height with that much muscle mass. To be an actual football player he'd have to gain about 30 or so pounds so it makes sense that he would look lean and slender. That's nice to hear he has other interests beyond skating.

jennylovskt

Medalist

Oooh, imagine that!:love::laugh: Seriously, most male figure skaters are stunningly handsome.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Oooh, imagine that!:love::laugh: Seriously, most male figure skaters are stunningly handsome.

I agree :agree: ....Joubert, Kysacek, Verner, Chan, Abbott....I don't hate it :love: . Oda and Takahashi are a little tiny but i guess they are cute if you are into small asian men.

schiele

Final Flight

:rofl::rofl:According to the GPF judges it does... Its so mean, but even after all these years, I simply cannot appreciate Evan's skating. I don't know why and he's the one skater that I always feel bad about. Abbott - no guilt at all. he's soo not my type of skater... I just want him to go away. One day a scientist will conduct a experiement on why we like some skaters and not others - I hope they include me, because I seriously want to know why some skaters just leave me cold...Lambiel is like that. I just don't get it.

Oh Kwanfard Wife, I was agreeing with almost everything you were posting up and laughing loudly until I saw that last sentence... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: How could you! :laugh:

I think (as a woman) Joannie looks great.. She's so damn athletic and it doesn't bother me at all, to the contrary I enjoy looking at her muscles (now what's wrong with me?) And if Jouby actually built more muscles, I'd bee eeking and put off for good. So maybe my brain should be examined as well! :laugh:

On the bright side, after 5 pages of on the topic discussion, this thread was also successfully led off the topic to a very juicy conversation. If we're talking about muscles and pretty boys, I don't mind at all! :biggrin:

seniorita

Record Breaker
One day a scientist will conduct a experiement on why we like some skaters and not others - I hope they include me, because I seriously want to know why some skaters just leave me cold...Lambiel is like that. I just don't get it.

Can i come to the experiment too?:biggrin:
Oy kwanford, from all the skaters...little Zebrah:eek:???He is the universal skater:p

On the bright side, after 5 pages of on the topic discussion, this thread was also successfully led off the topic
yes we managed to live up to our legend, moderators should be proud of us:rock:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I don't like it when people make fun of Joannie's body - I think it's cool that she's so athletic. Who says all ladies have to be baby ballerinas?
No way! Abbott is probably the best one out there. It's should be Lysacek Abbott and Bradley. It's time for Johnny to retire, he just doesn't skate like he used to.
My dream US team for Olys would be Johnny, Jeremy, and Adam. But it'll be a frosty day in Hades before Evan Lysacek is left off the Olympic team.

Anyone know if Joubert is conceited in person or nice? I've always wondered if he was a "man diva" or not.
Johnny Weir was once asked whether he and Brian are friends, and as we know, Johnny is not one to mince words. He said no, because they live on different continents, but that he likes Brian and thinks he is a very kind person. Make of that what you will.

Brian was asked on Breaking the Ice if he'd rather play hockey after he retires, or skate pairs with Kiira Korpi. Brian picked hockey and said it was probably in Kiira's best interest ;). I know that in addition to fencing and the other stuff you mentioned he's into motorcycles and motor sports, but he promised Laurent Depouilly and Didier Gailhaguet (sp., I bet) that he'll stay away from that this season.

Evan's jumps are big even if he doesn't have a quad. And his 3a is more consistent than Johnny's. Plus he is FAST.
Evan Lysacek has a real 3A? :scratch: I'll defer to the only Olympic champion in the field on that one :biggrin:.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Being busy doesnt mean I cant read :unsure:
But:rofl:I cant stop laughing!:laugh:
But I checked his rn videos, his sit spin is fast and centered and lower than before 2006, then when he changes to pancake etc it looks like he needs a serious push:rolleye:

BUSTED! I thought i'd get away with it...i'm blaming B if she tipped you off! :rofl: I'm glad you saw the funny side.

I'm seriously not laughing right now because Eurosport are seemingly not showing the men's SP :eek: I can't tell you how annoyed I am with eurosport.

Ant

Bennett

Record Breaker
I don't think that everyone can pick out a quad. Kevin Reynolds' quads look like triples because he spins so fast. He often gets little audience reaction for them. Timothy Goebel's quads werent' huge either.

I agree. Also really clean quads look like triples because everything is in place without any efforts. I once felt that way when Jeremy excuted a really clean quad. He also may have fast rotation, as he does not jump extremely high.

A bit off topic, but I could think of an opposite case as well. When I saw Midori Ito excute a really big, easy 3A at an ice show, I thought it a 2A because it was just so easy and had so slow rotation (theoretically, I should have been able to count it!). I was like "Wow Midori jumps so high even when it's 2A!":p

Buttercup

Record Breaker
BUSTED! I thought i'd get away with it...i'm blaming B if she tipped you off! :rofl: I'm glad you saw the funny side.

I'm seriously not laughing right now because Eurosport are seemingly not showing the men's SP :eek: I can't tell you how annoyed I am with eurosport.
It wasn't me! Don't mess with seniorita, she has awesome powers. Maybe she can use them to get Eurosport to air more of Euros instead of taped horse shows and the like?

Re quads, suddenly everyone is talking about putting them in their programs... Is it the Plushenko effect? Maybe, but if I had as vivid an imagination as Frank Carroll does, I'd wonder if someone at USFSA told him that it was un-American to leave the quads to the French. :laugh: