Can a skater's music selection help them to win? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can a skater's music selection help them to win?

hurrah

Medalist
I agree that TAT chooses repetitious music for Mao. Not only Bell and Masquerade, but also the violin fantasia SP from two seasons ago was repetitious. I do not necessarily assume that TAT chooses such music to make the choreos flexible, however. I guess that TAT may like that kind of music. Repetition creates intensity. I feel that way when I listen to East-European folk dance music that have the same melody line repeated over and over again. That kind of music can be appealing and memorable for the audience if the main melody line is likable. Here the skater conveys just one theme in one program, rather than doing Act I, Act II, and Act III in four minutes.

Well, not only Mao but in general, Tat chooses repetitious music for competition pieces, and Tat probably does like excellent repetitious music and I agree with your point that repetition creates intensity.

But Tat has chosen the second type of music you mention in Mao's exhibition, Caprice and also last year's Scent of a Woman, which was just so lovely.

Maybe next year, they will indulge and choose the second type of music for competition?:love:

Bennett

Record Breaker
But Tat has chosen the second type of music you mention in Mao's exhibition, Caprice and also last year's Scent of a Woman, which was just so lovely.

Maybe next year, they will indulge and choose the second type of music for competition?:love:

I love those programs, too!
I think it nice when the skater wins Championships with really nice, masterpiece programs---something not just jumps, but really beautiful and memorable. That makes the winning really convincing.

My favorite programs (regardless of the actual results) include:
- Lu Chen's Last Emperor (Masterpiece!)
- Oksana's Swan Lake
- Daisuke's Swan Lake (Something really memorable)
- Jeff Buttle's Samson et Dalila (regardless of the actual result, it was a great program with ecstatic music)
- Sasha's RJ (regardless of the actual result)
- Yuna's Bond Girl, Danse macabre (Both have wow effects!)
- Mao's Nocturne, Fantaisie-Impromptu (Perfect match with her skating)
- Shizuka's Turandot (I had barely been impressed by her presentation during her competitive career including her Fantasie-Impromptu for her Olympic SP, but this program was a masterpiece that made her shine)

hurrah

Medalist
Lark Ascending is my favorite Yuna program. In fact, at that point in my life, I was more Yuna fan than Mao. I also totally admired Dance Macabre but was conflicted about feeling this way because I was by then Mao fan. Oh, I also think Claire Lune is totally sublime---one of my favorite Mao program in fact---and only Mao could have pulled it off so beautifully. Of course I liked Fantaisie-Impromptu as well. It was the program that made me into a Mao fan, but I think that may have more to do with how she performed it rather than the program itself.

Because skating standards have made so much progress, when I look at it now, I see many things about it that makes me want to laugh, but Katarina Witt’s Carmen was memorable. The music, dress, head piece, facial expression was revolutionary at the time.

And I agree Okasana’s Swan Lake was just beautiful. The way she does her swan neck thingy, if anyone else had done it, it would have been cheesy but she did it with so much style, so much grace, so much skill.

And of course, seeing Torvill and Dean’s Bolero was another defining moment, and then to see Grishuk and Platov turning up with Rock Around the Clock culminating in Memorial was just wow, wow, wow. That was the golden era of ice dancing.

Daisuke’s Swan Lake made me into his fan. He’s such a great, great skater. His step sequence which he performs with so much flair is out of this world. I also love his Bjork exhibition piece, and I love La Strada.

Jeremy Abbot’s A Day in the Life is really majestic and dreamy. I just turned all quiet when I first saw it.

I also can’t help but admire anything of Plushenko and Joubert. I think they have charisma.

Anyway, so yeah, music and musicality is very, very important.

miki88

Medalist
As much as I love Fantaisie-Impromptu, I think Czardas is still my favorite of Mao's LPs. I think the dance type of music suits Mao well because of her intricate spins and footwork. That's why I feel "Libertango" would be a great choice for Mao :agree:

I agree about Libertango for Mao!

While I understand the points people have made about repetitive music building to an effective ending (as proved by one of the most powerful ice dance programs of all time, Torvill and Dean's Bolero!), I like music that has more rhythmic variation. It's all too easy for a really regular beat to make a skater start looking dutiful, as if he/she is checking off moves on a list.

I just got a chance to watch Joannie Rochette's Samson and Delilah long program all the way through, and it managed to combine so many moods and levels of intensity while remaining an integrated whole. Such music allows space for the most wonderful, fluid transitional moves (courtesy of Lori Nichol's inspired choreography), while building to a grand peak at the end.

sk8mix

Spectator
Of course!

Music is the canvas on which choreographers paint their creations...the selection is determinant and needs to enhance the athlete's skills. And of course...to borrow a quote from David Wilson "Music Editing is Crucial"

miki88

Medalist
I just got a chance to watch Joannie Rochette's Samson and Delilah long program all the way through, and it managed to combine so many moods and levels of intensity while remaining an integrated whole. Such music allows space for the most wonderful, fluid transitional moves (courtesy of Lori Nichol's inspired choreography), while building to a grand peak at the end.

I also think music pieces that build up to a grand peak is good for a program. I actually listened to Debussy's Isle of Joy recently and I felt that piece really has different moods and builds up to a big climax at the end. It's perfect for a long program. Mao's did Debussy's Claire de Lune last season and it was an elegant piece, but I think Mao got tired of doing soft, elegant music like Claire de Lune and Nocturne. However, Isle of Joy has a faster tempo, more impact without being too gloomy like Bells.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
A skater's choice of music can certainly make a difference to how well they skate to the music. I don't think it matters if the music is classical or modern.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think Joannie Rochette's programs and Mirari's SP as well as Rachel's SP are examples of perfect music for that skater. The music choice and the chreography for it package the skater to their best advantage.

OHgal

Rinkside
Some skaters are just "wrong" for certain pieces of music and no amount of "stretching one's boundaries" will get them there.

I'm personally open to almost any type of music, as long as it's well choreographed, executed, and interpreted.

Amen!!:rock:

Personally, I feel like screaming whenever someone drags out one of those overused songs (like Swan Lake). I don't care how good the skater, I am sick to death of hearing the same songs over and over again. Sheesh. With all the music in the world, can't we be a little more original? :sheesh:

The first person to skate to "Pants On The Ground" will automatically become my favorite forever. LOL.:rofl:

Michelle'sFan

Rinkside
To the title question: yes, I do think the music can help you win.

Individual skaters/teams have their strong suits and types of music that they like. So going a different way with the music would be risky: good or bad, we'd have to see the program.

But also if the music is a popular piece of music, say Romeo and Juliet, people understand the story that is being told without having to have it explained to them.

As for another lesser known piece, the audience has to be told the story, not just instinctivly knowing it. A good example of this, for me at least is Tanith and Ben's freedance compared to Meryl and Charlie's.

Michelle'sFan

trinity90

Rinkside
But also if the music is a popular piece of music, say Romeo and Juliet, people understand the story that is being told without having to have it explained to them.
As for another lesser known piece, the audience has to be told the story, not just instinctivly knowing it. A good example of this, for me at least is Tanith and Ben's freedance compared to Meryl and Charlie's.
Michelle'sFan

ITA, with certain types of music like Romeo and Juliet and Carmen, the audience is already aware of the storyline and what to expect to a certain extent. However, what about pieces such as V/M's Adagietto? I think they do a fine job of turning a bittersweet and somber piece into a wonderful performance. They did the same with Umbrellas of Cherbourg too.

Music selection is important in the sense that it should match a skater and not override the skater's style and whatnot. Stronger and more show-offy pieces of music work the best for Plushenko. And tender pieces of music with a lot of expression and variation work good for Abbott and Lambiel too. Softer and more lyrical pieces from Chopin and Debussey are perfect for Mao due to her gentle and ballerina-esque moves.

How would people feel if Mao and Yu-na switched music. Could Mao pull off a James Bond performance and could Yu-na pull of "Bells of Moscow"??????

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
How would people feel if Mao and Yu-na switched music. Could Mao pull off a James Bond performance and could Yu-na pull of "Bells of Moscow"??????

hmmm. I think Yu-na coud skate to Bells of Moscow really well, but not sure sure about Mao as a Bond Girl. I woud like to see her try it though!

trinity90

Rinkside
hmmm. I think Yu-na coud skate to Bells of Moscow really well, but not sure sure about Mao as a Bond Girl. I woud like to see her try it though!

I feel the same way, with music like Bells of Moscow, Yu-na could have turned that into one of the best performance in skating history! This season, I dont think that Yu-na is really using her lp music and she doesnt really fit with her Gershwin music selection. With Mao, I think she could pull of a James Bond performance. Mao can exude the flirty and fun persona like she has with her Por una Cabeza and Caprice exhibitions.

lcd

Match Penalty
There's music that can touch you. There is also music that can help you lose. And definitely, music that can help a skater win. IMO music choice is huge.

miki88

Medalist
I feel the same way, with music like Bells of Moscow, Yu-na could have turned that into one of the best performance in skating history! This season, I dont think that Yu-na is really using her lp music and she doesnt really fit with her Gershwin music selection. With Mao, I think she could pull of a James Bond performance. Mao can exude the flirty and fun persona like she has with her Por una Cabeza and Caprice exhibitions.

Personally, I don't think Bells is a good fit for any skater. Mao as Bond girl? that's a thought:biggrin:

N

n_halifax

I don't think you can SKATE to sweeping, beautiful music like Out Of Africa, The Mission, Somewhere In Time, Nessun Dorma, The Piano soundtrack, Reflections Of Passion etc. without invoking some sort of stirring emotion from the audience and judges.

N

n_halifax

Personally, I don't think Bells is a good fit for any skater. Mao as Bond girl? that's a thought:biggrin:

Bells Of Moscow could have worked as a free dance for a very dramatic Russian team perhaps (?) or a very dramatic skater like Maria Butyrskaya or something. I could also see Ilia Kulik interpreting the music well. Even Plushenko or Yagudin for that matter.