Thread: Articles and Media Reports

Hybrid View

Articles and Media Reports

Here's an article on the US men and how they are much more of a presence internationally than the American ladies are right now. Some quotes:

Jeremy Abbott:
    Our depth is incredible. … Down to eighth place at nationals could possibly be on the (Olympic) team.
    I'm trying to think who other than Abbott/Lysacek/Weir this refers to... I guess Rippon, Carriere, Mroz and Bradley, which means I'm missing someone.

Johnny Weir:
    The thing that I’m hoping to see come out of the Americans’ success is that we get … the respect of a real athlete and we aren’t thought of as just the boys who are doing the girls’ sport... I want people to see how difficult what we do is and have respect for the titles we bring home to our country.
    I want people to be aware of how hard I work... I don’t have a team around me and I don’t have pads all over my body. I’m doing this by myself, on my own. And I want people to see how difficult that really is
    Evan Lysacek:
    It’s important that I don’t just promote myself but promote the entire men’s team
    We have a breed of male skaters in this country that is so strong in the depth of technique, artistic interpretation (and) just overall strength… The men’s field in the United States right now is without a doubt the strongest it has ever been.
    Emphasis mine, because I don't think that's true for all the US men.

Nice fluff article about college roommates Charlie White, Trevor Young (Best and Young), Evan Bates (Samuelson and Bates) and Alex Shibutani (Shibutani and Shibutani) -- all students at the University of Michigan. (Go Blue!)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...ID=20101140478

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Nice fluff article about college roommates Charlie White, Trevor Young (Best and Young), Evan Bates (Samuelson and Bates) and Alex Shibutani (Shibutani and Shibutani) -- all students at the University of Michigan. (Go Blue!)

Cute article! Very cool that they are all roomies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

Thanks MM! I normally don't read Twitter but the four of them tend to have some pretty funny stuff about each other, so I'm not surprised that came across in the article, too.

It's nice to see ice dancers get some attention from the media, esp. ones other than the top two teams (and Trevor Young, too). The Free Press has pretty good skating coverage, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Buttercup; 01-15-2010 at 03:48 AM.

On the Ice

Keegan Messing in the local paper today - http://www.adn.com/sports/story/1094268.html

and yes I realize the article's author is a moron.

Men's SP coverage:

Christine Brennan for USA Today - Lysacek wuzrobbed! There are some very entertaining statements. I'm pretty sure she's wrong about Lysacek's PCS being unusually low.**

Philip Hersh is not in a snarky mood, and he really liked Jeremy Abbott's program. As well he should!

** ETA: of course she was wrong! Evan Lysacek scored 39.46 on PCS yesterday. Although the trauma of not winning CoC may have led to short term memory loss, one would think he would maybe remember how he did at 2009 worlds? I have it - he meant it was the lowest he'd gotten at Nats in two years... nope, not that either.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 01-16-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Responsible journalism. Also, I'm a geek (-: