Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 76

Thread: Lysacek news story: Evan's changing his free skate program

  1. #1
    Custom Title Phoenix347's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    661

    Lysacek news story: Evan is making changes to his free skate program

    The link:

    http://blog.taragana.com/sports/2010...program-65613/

    Quote:

    The reigning world champion has made some big changes to his free skate since winning the Grand Prix final last month to pump up his technical score. He is now doing a quadruple toe loop jump at the beginning of the program, has replaced his three-jump combination with a triple flip-double axel sequence and is doing a triple flip instead of a double axel at the end.
    Edit: I changed the title so people are less confused. Oops, it only changes the title inside... not the outside title... sorry for the confusion people.
    Last edited by Phoenix347; 01-15-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Clearify title so people aren't confused

  2. #2
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,990
    Wow. Very interesting. The will he or won't he with the Quad has been going back like a ping pong ball lately...he said all year he would do the quad at Nationals but recently alluded to just skating clean...and that the "quad wasn't fun anymore since his injury." well, i guess we will see this weekend. I really hope he does go for it, and I am surprised that he changed his program layout since it was working so well for him the way it was.

    Fight on Evan!

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,560
    Thanks for the link! It certainly is a welcome news. It's good that Lysacek found the neccesity to do a quad and is willing to bet on it. But I believe that it will take down his consistancy. So we'll see.

    “I think he’s the best,” coach Frank Carroll said. “I think he’s the most passionate and interpretive skater in the field.”
    This statement makes me sick.

  4. #4
    Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,989
    Looks like Evan isn't going to play safe. He doesn't want just to podium, he wants the OGM.

    “I really feel ready for Vancouver,” Lysacek said Thursday. “But I’m happy to have this as a test because I do have some changes and I want to see if they work.”
    And what if they don't?

    a triple flip-double axel sequence
    Don't remember is there's other men doing that kind of sequence.

  5. #5
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post




    Don't remember is there's other men doing that kind of sequence.
    Indeed. Very interesting.

  6. #6
    Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,989
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    This statement makes me sick.
    Well, I kind of disagree with Mr. Carroll. But based on GPF and last world results, Evan is the best skater there is.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    Well, I kind of disagree with Mr. Carroll. But based on GPF and last world results, Evan is the best skater there is.
    I can only say he was the best skated skater on that night. No one could say that Sarah Hughes is the best skater in the World because she has won that one and only Olympics gold medal.

    Evan won 2009 Worlds because Joubert fell. Evan won the GPF because the top guns were not there. I will agree with it if everyone skates at the same competition and most top skaters skate clean, in that situation, Evan wins.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 01-15-2010 at 01:59 AM.

  8. #8
    Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Indeed. Very interesting.
    I've found who's done it before! Kanako Murakami, this season's lp. But... she's not a guy, she's a little girl.

    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    Evan won 2009 Worlds because Joubert fell. Evan won the GPF because the top guns were not there. I will agree with it if everyone skates at the same competition and everyone skates clean, in that situation, Evan wins.
    Yeah, I agree with what you say, Evan isn't on my dream podium, no way, but somehow the top guns help Evan every time.

  9. #9
    End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    Don't remember is there's other men doing that kind of sequence.
    I don't think most men and coaches realizes exactly how to work the COP and stack up points with a secure strategy. Evan and Frank are an expert at it. I think this is what Evan is the most succesful at and I think it makes a lot of sense instead of a combo with a double.

  10. #10
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    4,108
    I'm somewhat confused by his new jump layout. It sounds like he is doing 2 Flips instead of 2 Lutzes, but that makes no sense for him. He is just as consistent with the Lutz and usually gets a ! on his Flip.

  11. #11
    Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,989
    Quote Originally Posted by schiele View Post
    I think it makes a lot of sense instead of a combo with a double.
    You mean a 0.4 advantage of 3F+2A+seq over 3F+2T?

  12. #12
    End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    You mean a 0.4 advantage of 3F+2A+seq over 3F+2T?
    Yes it looks like its nothing but all these little tricks add up. Otherwise Weir would be on the podium more often, would he not?

  13. #13
    Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,989
    Quote Originally Posted by schiele View Post
    Yes it looks like its nothing but all these little tricks add up. Otherwise Weir would be on the podium more often, would he not?
    Well, speaking of Weir, there were titles in the past lost due to a, what was it?, .01 stat error? The mortal precision of CoP.

    Sure, little tricks add up, but - instead of switching to a completely new jump layout - Evan could try to be 0.4 more passionate and interpretive.

  14. #14
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,438
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    “I think he’s the best,” coach Frank Carroll said. “I think he’s the most passionate and interpretive skater in the field.”
    This statement makes me sick.
    It doesn't make me sick. It does, however, make me wonder as to whether Frank Carroll is delusional. Which would explain some of his past statements, too .

    Lysacek has been pretty consistent for the past year, but he has also gotten some major assists from the judges since Worlds - he was overscored at the WTT and at Skate America, and was blatantly overscored at the GPF. I really hope this will stop at the Olympics, where the standard of competition will hopefully be higher. Evan Lysacek is not the best technically, he's not the best in interpretation, he's certainly not the most musical and he's not the most passionate, and I'm tired of having him promoted as though he is.

  15. #15
    End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    Sure, little tricks add up, but - instead of switching to a completely new jump layout - Evan could try to be 0.4 more passionate and interpretive.

    Bless, that was genius!

    I am just playing the devil's advocate, cos obviously I totally agree with B. Unfortunately I believe some other skaters like Joubert or Weir could add simple points by being more careful with what little tricks they could do with COP, while keeping the spirit of their programmes. But then again, god forbid they become true COP skaters!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •