Senior Mens SP | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Senior Mens SP

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hey Tonichelle, would you mind explaining the whole jacket thing? I didn't start following men's skating until pretty recently. :biggrin:

Johnny wore a Team Russia jacket to the practices in the 2006 olympics... media latched onto it... here he was skating for team USA and he was wearing the other team's stuff... it didn't go over very well here in the US.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know it shouldn't matter, but maybe if Johnny'd play the game and not be all team Russia in an olympic year, it might help the USFSA feel better having him be their top male skater lol

after 2006 and teh backlash he got because of the dumb jacket fiasco

What's wrong with Americans who love Russia? I love plenty things Russian too. It totally shouldn't matter and shame on the USFSA if they are using something so minute and trivial to hold against Johnny Weir. I hate when skating gets political! :scowl: I think it's more that the USFSA has a problem with how open Weir is with his comments and his personality. Again, something else that shouldn't be held against him, if that is indeed the case. I don't know, just speculating. I actually like Johnny for his personality, much more so than for his skating, which I still believe is better than Evan Lysacek's any day. Evan's the better competitor - that's his only advantage over Weir and Abbott. Abbott and Weir are the better skaters I think.

Last edited:

herro

On the Ice
Johnny wore a Team Russia jacket to the practices in the 2006 olympics... media latched onto it... here he was skating for team USA and he was wearing the other team's stuff... it didn't go over very well here in the US.

Ouch, I see. Well, I hope he never does anything like that again. I mean, nothing against loving Russia, but as a US delegate and skater... He's too good of a skater to do things that could potentially jeopardize his career.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
What's wrong with Americans who love Russia?

nothing... but it'd be like Brett Farve still wearing his Packer's jersey even though he now plays for the vikings... seriously... for a few minutes out of your day at least pretend you're part of the team. (or if you don't want to, fine, but quit whining that you don't get backing from the organization you've never truly supported yourself... it's a two way street. you were touted the next big thing for a number of years, and on the biggest stage for skating - in this country - you tout another team. Yeah, people are gonna be ticked. And I refuse to believe you're just that naive to think otherwise.)

Medusa

Record Breaker

Actually he was also seen wearing a CCCP jacket, and CCCP basically represents one of the most repressive and cruel regimes in the history of mankind. I think that CCCP jacket made people more furious than a simple Russia jacket would have.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well I was more ticked off by his interview where he used the term "republican" where "conservative" was the better word to use... I am big on that sort of thing and it just drove me batty for the rest of the men's event (seriously, I latch on to the weirdest things). he really suffered from foot in mouth disease during the games lol

futureidol

On the Ice
That jacket thing was a long time ago. Also who cares? He has the right to wear whatever he wants. Besides he's playing the p.c./suck up game relatively well this year, and not sticking his foot in his mouth. I just wish the judges would judge what he does on the ice, not what he wears or says off it.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Couple of questions............will the US be sending three men to the Olympics? Is Johnny's short program on You-tube yet, and although I appreciate Jeremy's speed and skill, his posture bothers me. He reminds me of Timothy Goebel a bit with a slump of his shoulders. Ruins the skating for me a tad..............42

skatemom1122

Final Flight
What's wrong with Americans who love Russia? I love plenty things Russian too. It totally shouldn't matter and shame on the USFSA if they are using something so minute and trivial to hold against Johnny Weir. I hate when skating gets political! :scowl: I think it's more that the USFSA has a problem with how open Weir is with his comments and his personality. I actually like Johnny for his personality, much more so than for his skating, which I still believe is better than Evan Lysacek's any day.

With the slim point difference in this case, I seriously doubt any type of "politics"were taking place. Do not condemn the USFSA for becoming political when you have no proof to back these statements up! I think you have made it more than clear that you believe Johnny should have beaten Evan. The scores are extremely close, and anything can happen in the free skate. Let's not rehash a four year old event....Weir did score higher techniccally (if you even bothered to look in your impatience), but suffered on the PCS, which I believe is the fair call.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
problem is their tradition is that whoever wins nationals is the "head" if you will... Johnny didn't do so hot 4 years ago as their representative... I don't blame them for being tentative, especially when he still has his moments... he's a loose cannon. In that way I understand it.

I don't agree with it from a scoring standpoint, but I understand it.

ETA - yes the men and dance teams both get three...
ladies and pairs get two

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Actually he was also seen wearing a CCCP jacket, and CCCP basically represents one of the most repressive and cruel regimes in the history of mankind. I think that CCCP jacket made people more furious than a simple Russia jacket would have.
But Johnny didn't wear that thing to represent one of the most repressive and cruel regimes in the history of mankind, he wore it because that jacket was a gift from Totmianina, IIRC. And in Russia, things with CCCP are nostalgia items.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
not the jacket, but the wild/weird things - oh yeah. they fixated on it in 2006... and continue to. it's his claim to fame (when his skating doesn't speak... well... something has to, I guess)

futureidol

On the Ice
Okay let's stop the Johnny bashing and give him props for what he did tonight. I bid you all sweet dreams.

Medusa

Record Breaker
But Johnny didn't wear that thing to represent one of the most repressive and cruel regimes in the history of mankind, he wore it because that jacket was a gift from Totmianina, IIRC. And in Russia, things with CCCP are nostalgia items.
I didn't say that Johnny did that. I actually have one of those jackets myself. I am just saying that it can throw people off, among others also very liberal people, like e.g. my dad. And I am not really sure if you can complain if it throws people off, it is a touchy subject.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I am just saying that it can throw people off, among others also very liberal people, like e.g. my dad. And I am not really sure if you can complain if it throws people off, it is a touchy subject.
I see. But everything is a touchy subject. And I was just trying to set the facts straight for eventual newbies. :yes:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Okay let's stop the Johnny bashing and give him props for what he did tonight. I bid you all sweet dreams.

no one is bashing anyone. herro asked a question that sparked a minor debate into something that happened 4 years ago. it's stating opinions on his decisions, not him as a person.

just as those who thought Evan was held up went after teh judges integrity.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just don't see the necessity that someone has to make it a priority to be patriotic to their country in order to be a figure skater. If Johnny was a politician, then yes, it would be expected for him to be all "gung-ho America!", but he has stated that he loves both the USA and Russia, and I think that's a great thing. Skating is a very individual sport. Of course, he wants to do his best to represent the USA in competition, but who cares whether or not he is politically correct all the time. It's not like he's running for political office. I don't think he takes himself as seriously as some skating fans do. My last thoughts on this subject. :)

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
When Weir, Lysacek, and Abbott all skate well, Johnny usually scores below both of them, in international competitions too. I doubt international judges really care if he wore a team Russia or team USA jacket in Torino in 2006.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm pleased for Jeremy, HAPPY for Johnny. Evan gave me a scare but my fave top three look like they're going to Vancouver. :rock:

The best of luck to all the guys in the LP!:clap:

Not sure where to post this put Olympic gymnastics AA Champ Nastia Liukin gave a shout out (to Evan?) in huge caps: Spokane:
http://twitter.com/NLiukin
Hello Spokane!
about 12 hours ago from UberTwitter
Reply Retweet

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I saw only Abott's sp but I m also happy for Johnny:clap:Sounds like he had a very good skate!Looking forward to seeing it!