Senior Mens SP | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Senior Mens SP

katymay

Medalist
Nationals Figure Skating Judges.

Okay, I need to add my 2cents to the CCCP jacket and Johnny Weir, and figure skating judges. At the national level these people are conservative old buffalos. I recogonize the SAME judges as when I was a skater, and they were conservative THEN. I guarantee you that when I was competing, I would have LOVED to own a CCCP jacket, BUT my coaches and other skating folks would have warned me NOT to wear it at a national competition-or heck-any competition. Skating is subjectively judged (STILL), and from the time you are a juvenile lady you are warned about offending judge A or B. Prejudices and attitudes DO sneak in, and you wish not to go into competition with two knocks against you. I wish there were not as many 'beauty pageant' elements to figure skating, but the fact is, there are, and these elements apply to the 'gentlemen' as well.

figuristka

Medalist
Sorry had missed this earlier but how many US men are being sent to Olympics? If its only 2 then a potential medalist could be sitting home :( Hope it was 3.

champs

Final Flight
Could anyone who was able to watch Shaun Rogers's SP tell me how he did jumpwise?

Sad about Ryan...just like last year...I'm starting to think Ryan and Tomas Verner are twin brothers. I hope he will at least grab a spot for the US team for Worlds, if not the Olympics, before he retires.

figuristka

Medalist
Thanks janet, glad to hear its 3 , iam not american but would hate to see Johnny, Evan, or Jeremy sitting having to miss Olympics, hope its those 3.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Could anyone who was able to watch Shaun Rogers's SP tell me how he did jumpwise?

Protocols are up for the Mens' SP!

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2010/64740/results.html

Shaun fell on the opening quad toe combination and neglected to turn any of his other 2 jumping passes into his combination, so a major loss of points there not having a combination jump in the SP. His 3Axel was fine, but then he fell on the 3Lutz, again resulting in a major loss of points. :frown:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks janet, glad to hear its 3 , iam not american but would hate to see Johnny, Evan, or Jeremy sitting having to miss Olympics, hope its those 3.

You are welcome.
I am not Finnish but I will root for Laura at Euros and Olympics.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Johnny got a "!" call on his 3f, which explains why he is below Evan who didn't get any edge calls. I actually thought the scores were pretty fair, Evan lost about 2 points on his 3a and he was a little bit tense tonight. I could see it in his skating, still lovely, but a little bit tentative, which explains the slight drop in PCS.

Does anyone think Bradley has a shot at the bronze at this point? He's 13 points behind Evan/Johnny, he has the quad, but PCS will be lower. I'm kinda thinking the only way it's gonna happen is if Bradley has the SOHL and Johnny bombs. Anyone with a more hopeful outlook?

champs

Final Flight
ou

Johnny was clean but too much concentration on the Tech, and not enough on his performance. His devoted fans will be happy anyway. I would like more of that old Otonal feeling in his skating.

Evan skated a bit uptight. Needs to relax more. His LP will tell us more.

Jeremy IS the all round skater and is able to combine the tricks with the music. Hope he keeps his cool.

I felt sad for the incomplete Quad of Mroz, and what happened after the completed quad of Bradley.

Cassar is in that category of "A skater's skater" as is Overett.

Can anyone bounce off the podium of the three Muskateers? The selection committee will not have a difficult time with this one.

ou

Johnny was clean but too much concentration on the Tech, and not enough on his performance. His devoted fans will be happy anyway. I would like more of that old Otonal feeling in his skating.

Evan skated a bit uptight. Needs to relax more. His LP will tell us more.

Jeremy IS the all round skater and is able to combine the tricks with the music. Hope he keeps his cool.

I felt sad for the incomplete Quad of Mroz, and what happened after the completed quad of Bradley.

Cassar is in that category of "A skater's skater" as is Overett.

Can anyone bounce off the podium any of the three Muskateers? The selection committee will not have a difficult time with this one.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Okay, I need to add my 2cents to the CCCP jacket and Johnny Weir, and figure skating judges. At the national level these people are conservative old buffalos. I recogonize the SAME judges as when I was a skater, and they were conservative THEN. I guarantee you that when I was competing, I would have LOVED to own a CCCP jacket, BUT my coaches and other skating folks would have warned me NOT to wear it at a national competition-or heck-any competition. Skating is subjectively judged (STILL), and from the time you are a juvenile lady you are warned about offending judge A or B. Prejudices and attitudes DO sneak in, and you wish not to go into competition with two knocks against you. I wish there were not as many 'beauty pageant' elements to figure skating, but the fact is, there are, and these elements apply to the 'gentlemen' as well.

Thank you for this very honest post, katymay. :clap: Facts are facts, and all the wishful thinking in the world does not change that. I feel that your post tells it as it is. This is the system, whether 6.0 or CoP or now, "IJS". The PCS is really just the old 6.0 "Presentation" and with it, the judges have tremendous leeway to lift or lower any skater at will, without having to back their scores up with anything truly specific. Judges clearly have realized this. There is a famous French saying which means, in effect, "the more things change, the more they stay the same".

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I thought his playing to the crowd was great, I've NEVER seen him go all out like that in the footwork before... while I LOVE Otonal, this SP was by far my favorite one from him.

and I'm so not a devoted fan of Johnny, my allegance is firmly in the other camp :laugh:

Wrlmy

Medalist
Jeremy was amazing (possibly the best skater when he includes a clean quad), but I'm still skeptical about his chances in Vancouver or in any big competitions for that matter.

I'm surprised Evan didn't get significant world-champion bonus. This is the way it should be, but I'm nonetheless shocked whenever skaters like him don't get extra refutation mark.

g

Jeremy was amazing (possibly the best skater when he includes a clean quad), but I'm still skeptical about his chances in Vancouver or in any big competitions for that matter.
I'm surprised Evan didn't get significant world-champion bonus. This is the way it should be, but I'm nonetheless shocked whenever skaters like him don't get extra reputation mark.
I am becoming more and more happier that the US judges are basing their scores on what they see at each competition, and not on favorites.Great!

Because Uni-Sports started early I missed 2/3 of Johnny's skate so I can't really comment on it yet, but Jeremy was fabulous. Hate the music but love Shae-Lynn's choreography. And I was very proud of Armin! Great senior Nats debut!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Adam ... :cry:

I have a total blind spot for Evan so no comment on him.

I also want to mention Stephen Carriere's improvement, in spite of the unfortunate errors. :thumbsup: In the past I found him workmanlike but he's really learning to perform and I thought he did a great job with the intricate steps. I'm normally sick to death of Carmina Burana but he got me involved - the power-music suited him.

I also enjoyed watching Dennis Phan. He doesn't have the technical difficulty but what beautiful line and musicality. :yes:

I only saw what was on Uni-Sports, which wasn't much, alas.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Jeremey, Wow. That was delightful. I am so proud of him. Score and placement well deserved.

Johnny. Well skated. His jumps were not textbook, but he fought for everything and sold it. He did his best, and that was nice to see.

Evan. I think he was very nervous. Another great skate minus the step out. Things could have been a lot worse considering the near collision in the warm-up, the long wait to skate and almost hitting the boards setting up for the axel (did the commentators even notice that?).

Ryan. he blew it. He could have been in first place. Sad to see, but that quad/triple was a thing of beauty.

Adam. I don't get it. How he is in fourth ahead of Armin who had a fabulous skate I just don't see. His axel and 3/3 was very good, but I felt like the choreography looked very generic and somehow I just wasn't impressed with the program like I had been at the GP.

Armin. Nice job! He must be very happy!

shine

Record Breaker
Adam. I don't get it. How he is in fourth ahead of Armin who had a fabulous skate I just don't see. His axel and 3/3 was very good, but I felt like the choreography looked very generic and somehow I just wasn't impressed with the program like I had been at the GP.
Nice to see that I'm not the only who doesn't get why Adam's SP is so great. There's lots of stroking around and I agree about the choreo being generic. It's nice and pleasant, but I just don't get what others see in this program.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Adam should have been placed ahead of Armin . . . that was a wrong call on the judges' part. I think Adam got the benefit of the doubt because his resume is more impressive than Armin's.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Nice to see that I'm not the only who doesn't get why Adam's SP is so great. There's lots of stroking around and I agree about the choreo being generic. It's nice and pleasant, but I just don't get what others see in this program.

I wasn't too keen on it either. Just throwing that out there!