Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Senior Mens SP

Custom Title

Nationals Figure Skating Judges.

Okay, I need to add my 2cents to the CCCP jacket and Johnny Weir, and figure skating judges. At the national level these people are conservative old buffalos. I recogonize the SAME judges as when I was a skater, and they were conservative THEN. I guarantee you that when I was competing, I would have LOVED to own a CCCP jacket, BUT my coaches and other skating folks would have warned me NOT to wear it at a national competition-or heck-any competition. Skating is subjectively judged (STILL), and from the time you are a juvenile lady you are warned about offending judge A or B. Prejudices and attitudes DO sneak in, and you wish not to go into competition with two knocks against you. I wish there were not as many 'beauty pageant' elements to figure skating, but the fact is, there are, and these elements apply to the 'gentlemen' as well.

Sorry had missed this earlier but how many US men are being sent to Olympics? If its only 2 then a potential medalist could be sitting home :( Hope it was 3.

Quote Originally Posted by figuristka View Post
    Sorry had missed this earlier but how many US men are being sent to Olympics? If its only 2 then a potential medalist could be sitting home :( Hope it was 3.
    Three men, three dance teams, two Ladies and two pairs teams.

Custom Title
    Could anyone who was able to watch Shaun Rogers's SP tell me how he did jumpwise?

Sad about Ryan...just like last year...I'm starting to think Ryan and Tomas Verner are twin brothers. I hope he will at least grab a spot for the US team for Worlds, if not the Olympics, before he retires.

Thanks janet, glad to hear its 3 , iam not american but would hate to see Johnny, Evan, or Jeremy sitting having to miss Olympics, hope its those 3.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by champs View Post
    Could anyone who was able to watch Shaun Rogers's SP tell me how he did jumpwise?
    Protocols are up for the Mens' SP!

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...0/results.html

Shaun fell on the opening quad toe combination and neglected to turn any of his other 2 jumping passes into his combination, so a major loss of points there not having a combination jump in the SP. His 3Axel was fine, but then he fell on the 3Lutz, again resulting in a major loss of points.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 01-16-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by figuristka View Post
    Thanks janet, glad to hear its 3 , iam not american but would hate to see Johnny, Evan, or Jeremy sitting having to miss Olympics, hope its those 3.
    You are welcome.
    I am not Finnish but I will root for Laura at Euros and Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Johnny got a "!" call on his 3f, which explains why he is below Evan who didn't get any edge calls. I actually thought the scores were pretty fair, Evan lost about 2 points on his 3a and he was a little bit tense tonight. I could see it in his skating, still lovely, but a little bit tentative, which explains the slight drop in PCS.

Does anyone think Bradley has a shot at the bronze at this point? He's 13 points behind Evan/Johnny, he has the quad, but PCS will be lower. I'm kinda thinking the only way it's gonna happen is if Bradley has the SOHL and Johnny bombs. Anyone with a more hopeful outlook?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Protocols are up for the Mens' SP!

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...0/results.html

Shaun fell on the opening quad toe combination and neglected to turn any of his other 2 jumping passes into his combination, so a major loss of points there not having a combination jump in the SP. His 3Axel was fine, but then he fell on the 3Lutz, again resulting in a major loss of points.
    Thanks museksk8r for the link and the details!

ou

Johnny was clean but too much concentration on the Tech, and not enough on his performance. His devoted fans will be happy anyway. I would like more of that old Otonal feeling in his skating.

Evan skated a bit uptight. Needs to relax more. His LP will tell us more.

Jeremy IS the all round skater and is able to combine the tricks with the music. Hope he keeps his cool.

I felt sad for the incomplete Quad of Mroz, and what happened after the completed quad of Bradley.

Cassar is in that category of "A skater's skater" as is Overett.

Can anyone bounce off the podium of the three Muskateers? The selection committee will not have a difficult time with this one.

ou

Johnny was clean but too much concentration on the Tech, and not enough on his performance. His devoted fans will be happy anyway. I would like more of that old Otonal feeling in his skating.

Evan skated a bit uptight. Needs to relax more. His LP will tell us more.

Jeremy IS the all round skater and is able to combine the tricks with the music. Hope he keeps his cool.

I felt sad for the incomplete Quad of Mroz, and what happened after the completed quad of Bradley.

Cassar is in that category of "A skater's skater" as is Overett.

Can anyone bounce off the podium any of the three Muskateers? The selection committee will not have a difficult time with this one.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by katymay View Post
    Okay, I need to add my 2cents to the CCCP jacket and Johnny Weir, and figure skating judges. At the national level these people are conservative old buffalos. I recogonize the SAME judges as when I was a skater, and they were conservative THEN. I guarantee you that when I was competing, I would have LOVED to own a CCCP jacket, BUT my coaches and other skating folks would have warned me NOT to wear it at a national competition-or heck-any competition. Skating is subjectively judged (STILL), and from the time you are a juvenile lady you are warned about offending judge A or B. Prejudices and attitudes DO sneak in, and you wish not to go into competition with two knocks against you. I wish there were not as many 'beauty pageant' elements to figure skating, but the fact is, there are, and these elements apply to the 'gentlemen' as well.
    Thank you for this very honest post, katymay. Facts are facts, and all the wishful thinking in the world does not change that. I feel that your post tells it as it is. This is the system, whether 6.0 or CoP or now, "IJS". The PCS is really just the old 6.0 "Presentation" and with it, the judges have tremendous leeway to lift or lower any skater at will, without having to back their scores up with anything truly specific. Judges clearly have realized this. There is a famous French saying which means, in effect, "the more things change, the more they stay the same".

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I thought his playing to the crowd was great, I've NEVER seen him go all out like that in the footwork before... while I LOVE Otonal, this SP was by far my favorite one from him.

and I'm so not a devoted fan of Johnny, my allegance is firmly in the other camp

Custom Title
    Jeremy was amazing (possibly the best skater when he includes a clean quad), but I'm still skeptical about his chances in Vancouver or in any big competitions for that matter.

I'm surprised Evan didn't get significant world-champion bonus. This is the way it should be, but I'm nonetheless shocked whenever skaters like him don't get extra refutation mark.

g

Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    Jeremy was amazing (possibly the best skater when he includes a clean quad), but I'm still skeptical about his chances in Vancouver or in any big competitions for that matter.
    I'm surprised Evan didn't get significant world-champion bonus. This is the way it should be, but I'm nonetheless shocked whenever skaters like him don't get extra reputation mark.
    I am becoming more and more happier that the US judges are basing their scores on what they see at each competition, and not on favorites.Great!

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast