Lysacek news story: Evan's changing his free skate program | Golden Skate

Lysacek news story: Evan's changing his free skate program

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Lysacek news story: Evan is making changes to his free skate program

The link:

http://blog.taragana.com/sports/2010/01/14/while-other-guys-sweat-the-olympic-team-lysacek-more-concerned-with-changes-to-his-program-65613/

Quote:

The reigning world champion has made some big changes to his free skate since winning the Grand Prix final last month to pump up his technical score. He is now doing a quadruple toe loop jump at the beginning of the program, has replaced his three-jump combination with a triple flip-double axel sequence and is doing a triple flip instead of a double axel at the end.

Edit: I changed the title so people are less confused. Oops, it only changes the title inside... not the outside title... sorry for the confusion people.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wow. Very interesting. The will he or won't he with the Quad has been going back like a ping pong ball lately...he said all year he would do the quad at Nationals but recently alluded to just skating clean...and that the "quad wasn't fun anymore since his injury." well, i guess we will see this weekend. I really hope he does go for it, and I am surprised that he changed his program layout since it was working so well for him the way it was.

Fight on Evan!:rock:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Thanks for the link! It certainly is a welcome news. It's good that Lysacek found the neccesity to do a quad and is willing to bet on it. But I believe that it will take down his consistancy. So we'll see.

“I think he’s the best,” coach Frank Carroll said. “I think he’s the most passionate and interpretive skater in the field.”

This statement makes me sick.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Looks like Evan isn't going to play safe. He doesn't want just to podium, he wants the OGM.

“I really feel ready for Vancouver,” Lysacek said Thursday. “But I’m happy to have this as a test because I do have some changes and I want to see if they work.”

And what if they don't?

a triple flip-double axel sequence

Don't remember is there's other men doing that kind of sequence.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Well, I kind of disagree with Mr. Carroll. But based on GPF and last world results, Evan is the best skater there is.

I can only say he was the best skated skater on that night. No one could say that Sarah Hughes is the best skater in the World because she has won that one and only Olympics gold medal.

Evan won 2009 Worlds because Joubert fell. Evan won the GPF because the top guns were not there. I will agree with it if everyone skates at the same competition and most top skaters skate clean, in that situation, Evan wins.

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Indeed. Very interesting.

I've found who's done it before! Kanako Murakami, this season's lp. But... she's not a guy, she's a little girl. :p

Evan won 2009 Worlds because Joubert fell. Evan won the GPF because the top guns were not there. I will agree with it if everyone skates at the same competition and everyone skates clean, in that situation, Evan wins.

Yeah, I agree with what you say, Evan isn't on my dream podium, no way, but somehow the top guns help Evan every time.

schiele

Final Flight
Don't remember is there's other men doing that kind of sequence.

I don't think most men and coaches realizes exactly how to work the COP and stack up points with a secure strategy. Evan and Frank are an expert at it. I think this is what Evan is the most succesful at and I think it makes a lot of sense instead of a combo with a double.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm somewhat confused by his new jump layout. It sounds like he is doing 2 Flips instead of 2 Lutzes, but that makes no sense for him. He is just as consistent with the Lutz and usually gets a ! on his Flip.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Yes it looks like its nothing but all these little tricks add up. Otherwise Weir would be on the podium more often, would he not? :laugh:
Well, speaking of Weir, there were titles in the past lost due to a, what was it?, .01 stat error? The mortal precision of CoP.

Sure, little tricks add up, but - instead of switching to a completely new jump layout - Evan could try to be 0.4 more passionate and interpretive.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
“I think he’s the best,” coach Frank Carroll said. “I think he’s the most passionate and interpretive skater in the field.”
This statement makes me sick.
It doesn't make me sick. It does, however, make me wonder as to whether Frank Carroll is delusional. Which would explain some of his past statements, too :p.

Lysacek has been pretty consistent for the past year, but he has also gotten some major assists from the judges since Worlds - he was overscored at the WTT and at Skate America, and was blatantly overscored at the GPF. I really hope this will stop at the Olympics, where the standard of competition will hopefully be higher. Evan Lysacek is not the best technically, he's not the best in interpretation, he's certainly not the most musical and he's not the most passionate, and I'm tired of having him promoted as though he is.

schiele

Final Flight
Sure, little tricks add up, but - instead of switching to a completely new jump layout - Evan could try to be 0.4 more passionate and interpretive.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Bless, that was genius!

I am just playing the devil's advocate, cos obviously I totally agree with B. Unfortunately I believe some other skaters like Joubert or Weir could add simple points by being more careful with what little tricks they could do with COP, while keeping the spirit of their programmes. But then again, god forbid they become true COP skaters!

James R

Match Penalty
(Now Evan-hate in the Evan thread?)

I think it might be smart for Evan to go for the quad, as long as he doesn't injure himself training or sacrifice other areas of training because of it.

seniorita

Record Breaker
how much MORE?:eek:
either you have it or not!:p
I m glad to hear for the quad, it will be a fight!:rock:

schiele

Final Flight
I m glad to hear for the quad, it will be a fight!:rock:

Yes, it's suddenly starting to look like all the top guys are going for a quad.. It'll be very interesting indeed..
I am willing to bet my money on Plushy as the real motivator. ;)

^ :laugh:

What's wrong with saying Evan is "passionate." He throws himself into his performances. He is covered in sweat when he finishes. All for us.

Is he "more interpretive" than his rivals? Well, I am not sure that "interpretive" can be applied to a person, and I am not sure that it has a legitimate comparitive form, but hey, is Frank Carrol an English teacher or a skating coach? Evan's performances may not be full of nuance and subtlety, but he interprets slam, bam, thank you ma'am like nobody's business! :yes:

Edited to add: I mean, "comparative." (I never claimed to be Spellingman.")

Last edited: