Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Weir article lead story at ESPN.com

Custom Title

Johnny Weir article lead story at ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...114/JohnnyWeir

Great article. Really great article. Still don't understand why he talks about gender and masculinity but dodges the sexuality question...

But a great article. Nice to get some major American press for skating.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by doug_log View Post
    Still don't understand why he talks about gender and masculinity but dodges the sexuality question...
    His bots will appear and explain that to you very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post

His bots have taught me better to ignore if you can't say something nice about him

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    Sigh. Why is it that it some people think it is so very smart and clever to demand that Johnny publicly declare his sexual orientation to the media, but anyone who takes the other view that it isn't the public's business and he shouldn't be required to declare who he sleeps with to the press is derided as a "bot" or an "uber"?

Since when is YOUR point of view the only one that is allowed to be presented without derision and declarations that anyone who disagrees is just an obsessed fan? Trying to pre-empt disagreement with your viewpoint by attacking anyone who might oppose it in the future seems rather like obsessed behavior to me.
    Last edited by pippa; 01-14-2010 at 02:25 PM.

Custom Title
    Hey, Pippa. Sigh, indeed.

I think your use of "demand" is too strong. All I said was that "I don't understand." Gender, sexuality, and masculinity are so intertwined in American culture, that discussion of two without the third leaves a glaring hole. I agree that in an ideal world, absent of stereotyping and discrimination, we could isolate one idea. But I think we all know that this is not the case.
    Last edited by doug_log; 01-14-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by doug_log View Post
    Hey, Pippa. Sigh, indeed.

I think "demand" is too strong a word. All I said was that "I don't understand." Gender, sexuality, and masculinity are so intertwined in American culture, that discussion of two without the third leaves a glaring whole. I agree that in an ideal world, absent of stereotyping and discrimination, we could isolate one idea. But I think we all know that is not the case.
    doug, the sigh wasn't directed at you, it was for the poster who declared that anyone who responds to your question is a "bot". And we did have a thread on this board just a few months ago from a poster or two who demanded that Johnny announce his orientation publicly. Fortunately, it was closed and deleted by the Mods.

Johnny gets asked about his orientation all the time by the media, and he has explained as well as anyone could why he doesn't want to give them a label to put on him. He wants people to appreciate his skating and know him for who he is and not for one single aspect of what he is. Unfortunately, I think we all know that is exactly what would happen if he made a public declaration of his orientation.

The level of homophobic hatred in many of the comments attached to that ESPN article kind of says it all for me. I can't blame Johnny for not feeling safe to make an announcement when there are so many people like that in the world. People say he should just declare his orientation publicly, but if he did, plenty of people would attack him for that, too, and say he should have kept it to himself - and he's probably scared that among all those homophobic creeps would be a few who might actually do something. He had to shut his MySpace page down last year after it was repeatedly hacked by someone making threats and blackmail attempts concerning his orientation - I can't imagine dealing with that made him any more willing to go public.
    Last edited by pippa; 01-14-2010 at 02:43 PM.

I have faith in the swan futureidol's Avatar
    I thought it was a very well written article and Johnny was fantastic as usual. I especially enjoyed all the video clips of them getting their mani/pedi, very cute! Wow I've never seen so much Johnny press in one month! Work it in Spokane Johnny! You can do it!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pippa View Post
    Sigh. Why is it that it some people think it is so very smart and clever to demand that Johnny publicly declare his sexual orientation to the media, but anyone who takes the other view that it isn't the public's business and he shouldn't be required to declare who he sleeps with to the press is derided as a "bot" or an "uber"?

Since when is YOUR point of view the only one that is allowed to be presented without derision and declarations that anyone who disagrees is just an obsessed fan? Trying to pre-empt disagreement with your viewpoint by attacking anyone who might oppose it in the future seems rather like obsessed behavior to me.
    I agree with you. If Johnny doesn't want to disclose his sexual orientation, that's his right and he shouldn't be criticized for it.

Custom Title
    People should stop asking this silly question to Johnny, as I've said before, he won't tell no matter how you ask. On the other hand, I don't think Johnny is afraid of the result if he tells the specific. I just think that he wants to be the way he wants, that's the reason that he acted this way. So let's be the way it is. It really doesn't matter one way or the other.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Great article! I am getting the feeling that Johnny will really go out with a bang. This is the biggest he has been in a long time ( namely this time 2006)

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post

His bots have taught me better to ignore if you can't say something nice about him
    like that's ever stopped you before

Great article and thanks for posting! I love Johnny and hope against hope that he reclaims the top spot at Nationals... He does it his way. He's a true original!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    People should stop asking this silly question to Johnny, as I've said before, he won't tell no matter how you ask. On the other hand, I don't think Johnny is afraid of the result if he tells the specific. I just think that he wants to be the way he wants, that's the reason that he acted this way. So let's be the way it is. It really doesn't matter one way or the other.
    People shall stop asking silly questions to Johnny when Johnny stops giving interview during mani-pedi-facial.
    What do you expect the guy to ask when he was like, let's buff and paint our toe nail. Seriously. I personally don't care and actually find him entertaining, but don't get all hissy when he's asked because the questions aren't exactly out of the blue. Where there's smoke, just saying.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    People shall stop asking silly questions to Johnny when Johnny stops giving interview during mani-pedi-facial.
    What do you expect the guy to ask when he was like, let's buff and paint our toe nail. Seriously. I personally don't care and actually find him entertaining, but don't get all hissy when he's asked because the questions aren't exactly out of the blue. Where there's smoke, just saying.
    It's true. But why ask? If you ask, it's silly to me.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    What do you expect the guy to ask when he was like, let's buff and paint our toe nail. Seriously.

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    I came out of the closet when I was 16 - I was still skating and competing at that point - and am now 27. I never had any problems and I still don't. I firmly believe, however, Johnny's choice to not discuss his sexuality in the media is very much his own. That said, what kind of a message is it sending out to the hundreds of young gay and bisexual boys and men coming up through the sport when a flamboyant and popular U.S. skater is dodging the issue, so to speak? Maybe that's not Johnny's problem. It just reminds me so much of the Rhianna/Chris Brown situation even though it's so different - when you choose and indeed celebrate your celebrity and media attention and you have those people looking up to you as a role model, is that a price you have to pay? Does Johnny have an obligation to be an advocate or is his life really his own business? I see valid points in both areas but I think there's really only one real answer: the latter of the two. I do know one thing though, from experience, because my life has been very public and out in the open as well - when you welcome the media/attention etc. you welcome the consequences and responsibilities that come with that, you do. However wherever you choose to cross that line and say no to a question, you are making a statement in itself and the public will not uniformly interpret that one way or the other. They will interpret it both ways.

Not meaning to be controversial - just offering up my two cents.
    Last edited by n_halifax; 01-14-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast