Skating blogs | Golden Skate

Skating blogs

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The Olympics are less than a month away and while media coverage is picking up, much of it comes from people who do not specialize in figure skating, and it shows. So I figured I’d list some of the skating blogs I've enjoyed reading in recent months – and maybe find some new ones to add to the list.

• Video Replay=Artistry?: the blogger occasionally posts here and at FSU. The event previews are informative and very well thought out; I only wish it could be updated more often! I guess some people are busier than I am. ;)
  • Aunt Joyce’s Ice Cream Stand: this will not be everyone’s cup of tea; it’s snarky, gossipy and mean, but IMO, very funny - and rarely, if ever, dull. Too many gymnastics posts for my liking, but then you can’t have it all.
  • Xanboni: focuses mainly on training and coaching, and is written by a coach with some very good advice for skaters and parents. It’s updated quite often.
  • Life on the Edge: “our skater” who’s often referred to on this blog is Jeremy Abbott. The blog’s focus isn’t really on Jeremy, though, and his family has been involved in skating for many years.
  • Axel, Loops and Spins: nothing groundbreaking, but several posts a week and some good reports on national (US) and international skating.
  • Mr. Zamboni Man: a newbie blog and a very funny one, from the review of Adrian Schultheiss’s LP to having Scott Hamilton declare that Yu-Na Kim “transcends all adjectives” to a report on the Zhangs falling asleep in the middle of their program :laugh:.
  • Passion to Skate: an even newer blog, by a blogger who’s been a skater/coach/fan /judge and has now decided to try writing about skating.
  • Skating the Issue: will Jenny Kirk bring back her blog, or will we be seeing her in major media outlets next month?
Since my own involvement in skating is mainly of the couch potato variety :biggrin:, it's fun to read different perspectives and points of view from people whose skating experience has been more active than mine. So, which good ones have I missed?

luvsasha

Final Flight
Required Elements is a good blog to read...it's updated a lot about all kinds of figure skating stuff

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks for the list. "Mr Zamboni Man" had me :rofl:

Jenny said she would be back for the Olympics but not sure if she meant with her personal blog or if it would be for the LA Times.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
Thank you!!!
MrZamboniman is now on my favourites!!!
that about plushenko made me laugh till cry!!! (and, note that I am a devote Plushenko's fan :love:since 2002!!!):rofl::rofl:

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I have to say...Mr. Zamboni Man is pretty awesome!! XD

"The Diva, Man in Black :rofl:, and J Bott"

Last edited:

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I think Mr. Zamboni Man must be a reader of the Golden Skate forum. It was US who pointed out how NBC seem to have preselected the US Ladies Figure Skating Olympic team by reading the NBC schedule! It's the latest entry in his blog! Good blog even if he borrows from here and there. After, isn't science done by borrowing from here and there? :laugh:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Mr. Zamboni Man is the best skating blog on the net.

*cough*

Also, this new rule about signatures on Golden Skate is disappointing.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Thanks for the list. "Mr Zamboni Man" had me :rofl:

I like Mr Zamboni Man's blogs very much!

Evan will most likely be clean, but I think a downgraded triple axel will cost him. Again, it depends upon if the judges choose to downgrade or not. They are great at selective seeing.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But, janetfan, did you write that blog about Plushenko?!:biggrin: It really looks like your style.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Thanks for the mention! Livetweeting US Nats, too, just for fun!
Hi Xan, I was happy to do it and really like your blog. If only I had a nearby rink where I could make use of your advice... ;)
Thank you. Believe me, I wish I could update more often but school comes first!
I thought so - I hope that's going well. Your blog is wonderful and I'm happy to see it updated when you do have the time.