Senior Women's Free | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Senior Women's Free

Bennett

Record Breaker
I havent watched it but just checked out the protocol and it looks like Joannie was clean?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
You know something, this is something that drives me nuts and is not a slam against you bigsisjiejie.

Sorry if I upset you. I didn't mean anything harmful or toxic or even hidden. But I will take your comments as a slam and I won't return to the Canadian competition boards but instead will stay elsewhere on GS. You are just too touchy. Goodbye.

amateur

Final Flight
Sorry if I upset you. I didn't mean anything harmful or toxic or even hidden. But I will take your comments as a slam and I won't return to the Canadian competition boards but instead will stay elsewhere on GS. You are just too touchy. Goodbye.

???? :confused:

Who is the touchy one here?? Tigger specifically stated he/she was talking about attitudes of particular people that he/she knows in real life, and also specifically said he/she was not slamming you, nor was he/she even talking about YOUR attitude!! The wording of your post just reminded him/her of that frustration; othewise the content of his/her post is completely sympathetic with your sentiment.........

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Awesome! Thanks for the link. It was so nice to see Rochette in such command, fantastic!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Thanks for the link!

"This is a good day!" Love it. Wow. That was EFFORTLESS. It was like watching a practice session. No doubt, no hesitation, no nerves, just pure joy and pure skating.

hongligl

Final Flight
congratulations to Joannie for the supperb LP!

Congratulations to Cynthia for making the team and wish her have a 5-6 triple LP in the Olympics! She looked so determined .

Thank you SO MUCH for posting the CBC link to Joannie's long program. What a gorgeous skate! And the choreography is so intricate and lyrical--she and Lori Nichol have done each other proud. The footwork! And some of the slides or whatever they are, those little moves that pull us into the music, are as ravishing as the music. I just love that they used the "Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix" slow part as well as the Bacchanale.

I hope Rochette skates exactly this splendidly, or even more so, for the Olympics. That will be a beauty to behold.

And as an extra added attraction, the commentary of Tracy Wilson and Kurt Browning.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I also want to thank CBC for posting Rochette FS online. A very confident and powerful performance. 144 is definitely too high but I would like to see the protocol. I bet that she wishes that was her Olympic performance. Hope she can keep the feeling for the Olympics. It going to be a shoot out. I wonder what she did to turn the ship around? It's like night and day from GPF. I knew she would be back... congrats Joannie on your triumphant 6th national title!

shine

Record Breaker
I hope Rochette skates exactly this splendidly, or even more so, for the Olympics. That will be a beauty to behold.

A beauty to behold it was. OMG! Joannie! This is the kind of performance I've been waiting for since the debut of this program! :love: If she skates like that at a certain competition in Febuary, the Pacific Coliseum is going to explode!!!!

gourry

Final Flight
Thanks for the link!
Even though that video didn't really run smoothly on my computer, I could see Joannie did really well! Congratulations, Joannie!!:clap:
It was just like watching Joannie from last season. Solid, confident Joannie! Wow.

roma

On the Ice
I liked Joannie's program ever since she skated that really well at Japan Open at the start of the season and I'm really glad she topped that one with her skate at nationals. That was such an AMAZING skate!!!

persimmon

Rinkside
Yes, the scoring at this nationals was very inflated, but honestly, if Yu na can score ~134 in the long with only 5 triples, repeating the lowest scoring one (toe), and not even attempting a flip or loop, I don't see why Joannie can't score ~140 with a seven triple program that repeats Salchow as opposed to Toe-loop, where all types of triples are attempted and successfully landed. And Yu na, like it or not, is somewhat vulnerable to an edge calle on her flip, while Joannie never gets any edge calls. I have been watching figure skating competitions for years, and Joannie has some of the cleanest, most proper technique on her jumps that I have seen. Plus, they are HUGE. Easily deserving of a +2. It is difficult to appreciate just how good her jumps are until you see them in person. That triple loop she did in the long was probably the best I have ever seen from a lady skater. She doesn't have the best spins or spirals, but then neither does Yu na. I know this makes me sound like a Joannie uber, but I'm not. I am just amazed by the quality she displayed yesterday. :rock: What she does not have is Yu na's nerves, but she did say that she was very nervous before the long yesterday so...

It's really anyone's game in Vancouver. What looked to be a one-horse race suddenly doesn't look so certain. Joannie has proved she can deliver the goods. If she skates clean, she can win. If Yu na skates clean, she can win. If Mao skates clean, she can win. If Miki skates clean, she can win. I also have a feeling that the short program will be a lot closer in terms of scores than it has been so far. I can't seen Yu na having a 15 point lead going into the long. I think the judges, if they have the chance based on the performances, are going to make sure everything is decided by the long, not the short. I, for one, am REALLY looking forward to Vancouver!!!:clap:

miki88

Medalist
Yes, the scoring at this nationals was very inflated, but honestly, if Yu na can score ~134 in the long with only 5 triples, repeating the lowest scoring one (toe), and not even attempting a flip or loop, I don't see why Joannie can't score ~140 with a seven triple program that repeats Salchow as opposed to Toe-loop, where all types of triples are attempted and successfully landed. And Yu na, like it or not, is somewhat vulnerable to an edge calle on her flip, while Joannie never gets any edge calls. I have been watching figure skating competitions for years, and Joannie has some of the cleanest, most proper technique on her jumps that I have seen. Plus, they are HUGE. Easily deserving of a +2. It is difficult to appreciate just how good her jumps are until you see them in person. That triple loop she did in the long was probably the best I have ever seen from a lady skater. She doesn't have the best spins or spirals, but then neither does Yu na. I know this makes me sound like a Joannie uber, but I'm not. I am just amazed by the quality she displayed yesterday. :rock: What she does not have is Yu na's nerves, but she did say that she was very nervous before the long yesterday so...

It's really anyone's game in Vancouver. What looked to be a one-horse race suddenly doesn't look so certain. Joannie has proved she can deliver the goods. If she skates clean, she can win. If Yu na skates clean, she can win. If Mao skates clean, she can win. If Miki skates clean, she can win. I also have a feeling that the short program will be a lot closer in terms of scores than it has been so far. I can't seen Yu na having a 15 point lead going into the long. I think the judges, if they have the chance based on the performances, are going to make sure everything is decided by the long, not the short. I, for one, am REALLY looking forward to Vancouver!!!:clap:

But Yuna usually builds a good lead from her short, and she rarely makes mistakes in her short which allows her the room to make mistakes in LP and still be able to win if others do not skate perfect. The SP is actually very important for determining the winner nowadays. So if Joannie wants to give Yuna a run of her money, then she can't afford to fall in her short at the Olympics. I also hope Mao does not make silly mistakes in her SP, as she is prone to in the past. I also wish for a fierce competition in Vancouver :agree:

herios

Medalist
But Yuna usually builds a good lead from her short, and she rarely makes mistakes in her short which allows her the room to make mistakes in LP and still be able to win if others do not skate perfect. The SP is actually very important for determining the winner nowadays. So if Joannie wants to give Yuna a run of her money, then she can't afford to fall in her short at the Olympics. I also hope Mao does not make silly mistakes in her SP, as she is prone to in the past. I also wish for a fierce competition in Vancouver :agree:

That is true, but do not foget Joannie secured her silver in LA with a flawless SP, because she was she wasn't error free in the LP there, so it was the other way around. So, in theory she could do both, but she never had a clean back to back skate in both. that is the bug headache, do you see that happening in the pressure cooker in Vancouver?I hope it does, but I would not bet on it.

tripleaxle

Rinkside

Very good analysis. Could not agree more. I think the skater who attempted all 5 triples and no edge call should get bonus points.