Senior Free Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Senior Free Dance

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I wish I watched them for years. I first saw them just under two years ago. Worlds, 2008, FD. Love at first sight, I swear.

amateur

Final Flight
I prefer C/P as dancers to W/P, but W/P's free dance is really well choreographed. I continue to be very impressed with Shae-Lynn's work this year!

happy hollow

Rinkside
The first time I saw them was as Juniors in 2001 (I think, in Saskatoon). They did a flamenco number and her sleeves were huge and they were about a foot shorter than everyone else on the ice. We thought they were so cute...and then we saw them skate and were blown away! The next year they won Juniors. Just fantastic. I think he has more musicality than any other male ice dancer out there!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I prefer C/P as dancers to W/P, but W/P's free dance is really well choreographed. I continue to be very impressed with Shae-Lynn's work this year!

Agreed. I think over the next few years Bourne's status as a choreographer will simply increase. She's marvelous.

figuristka

Medalist
They should have been able to have 3 ice dance teams , shame. 3 pairs would have been nice also. Heartbreakers having 2.

mishieru07

On the Ice
I wish I watched them for years. I first saw them just under two years ago. Worlds, 2008, FD. Love at first sight, I swear.

Haha I saw them 1 year earlier than you; Worlds 2007 FD. Quite possibly their best FD but we'll see after Vancouver.

Don't leave me hanging! I'd really like more details - Was the new "goose" just as smooth in transition? What was she wearing? What was the audience's reaction like? What did PJ say about them?

jettasian

Match Penalty
I think the crowd might prefer W/P over C/P maybe because Crone's mistake was obvious...she fell and everyone could see it...as for Poje's mistake, most people could miss it because he covered it nicely?

Agree, I wish we could send 3 teams....

So the Olympic determines how many teams going to World 10? We might be able to send 3 then...

jettasian

Match Penalty
Haha I saw them 1 year earlier than you; Worlds 2007 FD. Quite possibly their best FD but we'll see after Vancouver.

Don't leave me hanging! I'd really like more details - Was the new "goose" just as smooth in transition? What was she wearing? What was the audience's reaction like? What did PJ say about them?

The new "goose" exit was smoother than the jump as the jump is riskier. But then, I find the jump is more difficult and exciting.

Scout

Final Flight
I think the crowd might prefer W/P over C/P maybe because Crone's mistake was obvious...she fell and everyone could see it...as for Poje's mistake, most people could miss it because he covered it nicely?

Agree, I wish we could send 3 teams....

So the Olympic determines how many teams going to World 10? We might be able to send 3 then...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Olympics determines the # of teams going to Worlds...I think we get the same # at worlds as the Olympics.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Same costume as one she's already worn - I think at Skate Canada.

The goose has him more like an eagle (not spread eagle, bird eagle) with his arms curved out in the air (as opposed to on his knees). She's in a similar position. She jumps off lightly into his arms, he dips her and releases her. It can be smooth in transition but isn't quite there yet - but it fits more the romantic nature of the dance. The audience was enthusiastic, but not as much as at Skate Canada when she nailed the landing. PJ was gushing overall, mentioning the legality of the old dismount.

Scout's correct - the Olympics don't determine # at worlds. I expect we'll get the three back for 2011, though. And keep it straight through Sochi.

Tigger

Final Flight
Well...Colour me confused and I'm sorry. A fall on a required element should have gotten a bit more of a dock than I have a feeling it did and I am not at all impressed by what happened just now in London. I much preferred Kaitlyn and Andrew and they've given me chills all year long this year. Whereas Vanessa and Paul...I don't know...I just didn't feel they followed up last year's great programs w/more of the same. JMO, but there it is.

I also think Vanessa and Paul should have gotten some sort of "notice" if you want to call it that concerning her expression in their Flamenco yesterday. A Flamenco, and Tango for that matter, calls for a look of such anger and fire that you look like you want to rip your partner's face off. Not a pleasant, "Oh I'm having so much fun out here", smiling face as Vanessa had. That bugged me w/the Russians and their Tango CD at Worlds and it bugged me here w/Vanessa and Paul.

Maybe just me on that one, but...Nope, not happy at all w/what just happened.

Congratulations to Tessa and Scott. Breathtaking as usual. Would have been more enjoyable if PJ had kept her mouth shut, but I can't stand her tone of commentary at the best of times, so that's just me. I like the new exit from the Goose lift and feel it works far better than the rotational dismount did and there's still that "Wow!!" factor there too.

Don't like the all beige dress on Tessa though and hope she goes back to one of the white dresses she's been wearing during the GP. I just felt it didn't suit her at all and washed her out a wee bit.

After such a great day of skating, what a shame for it to end in such a controversial way. :(

mishieru07

On the Ice

No, IIRC, it's Worlds 09. So still 2 teams for Worlds.

I really enjoy Shae-Lynn's choreography as well. Can't wait to see more programmes from her!

Bummer. Happy for C/P but I'm devastated for W/P. Only consolation is that all three teams are young and can stay on for the next Olympic cycle.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Tigger, check out the protocols. In ice dance, a fall by one partner on a required element means two things

1. A negative GOE (all judges gave did so, GOE of -1 to -3)

2. A two point deduction in said GOE (that implies that the judges would've gone from 1 to -1)

They got hammered on the levels (from level four to one)

I don't think it was completely out of line.

hongligl

Final Flight
I like the new goose exit better! Don't like the dress.

I love W/P's OD, very dramatic, which covered their lacking in skating skill comparing to C/P. C/P do have superior edge quality, which shows in romatic skating. In contrast, W/P's romantic FD expose the slight lack of extension and smoothness of leg movements.

I don't kow, they are so close. I think W/P would stand-out more to the audience, C/P may play better with the judges, same in international competition as in here.

The problem is that we should have got 3 berthes:)

scs

Rinkside
What an evening of skating! I too wish we had three dance and pairs entries at the Olympics! I enjoyed both C/P and W/P today, and do agree with the final standings. In the warmup/practice sessions, W/P skate with such power and flow when skating around the ice but I don't find it transfers into their competition. Perhaps that is due to the choreography. I thought that W/P free dance was at times a tad frantic and overdone.

As for the original dance, I sat five rows from the ice and had a good view of facial expressions. Vanessa certainly did wear a "look of fire" at our end of the ice, although that turned into a smile at the end of the dance!

i love to skate

Medalist
I am thrilled to see that C/P finished second!! I was hoping to see this news when I got home.They are going to have an amazing experience in Vancouver. I'm also thrilled to see that Ralph and Hill finished fourth. I adore this team. What a strong dance program Canada has developed :clap:

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Ok... Saw the event from Sarah and Justin onward. So happy that Sarah and Justin finished in the top 10. Richly deserved. A great new team!

Loved Kharis and Asher, and also Tarrah and Keith.

Really impressed by the immense progress of Allie and Michael. Wow!

As for the 2nd/3rd controversy: just had a look at the protocols on the Skate Canada site. Yes, Vanessa and Paul were docked for the twizzles. HOWEVER, they were given very healthy GOE points on everything else to make up for it, especially in comparison to Katelyn and Andrew. Furthermore, the presentation scores were bumped for Vanessa and Paul to make sure they made up for the -1 deduction for the fall. Katelyn and Andrew had WAY better presentation and interpretation of the dance than Vanessa and Paul. Katelyn and Andrew look like a more traditional dance team, while Vanessa and Paul at times look less connected as a pair. Passion vs sweet friendship. Vanessa and Paul do some very cool innovative things, but so do Katelyn and Andrew. Both teams have had some good results on the international stage this year. Both teams are very even technically, and there was no reason to score one GOE significantly higher than the other team. This result is nuts. Very disappointing that this would happen at Canadians. Today, the 2nd best team did not come 2nd.

herios

Medalist

Actually the FD was done by Camerlengo. But both Pasquale and Shae-Lynn are doing an awesome jobs.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Wow - I completely disagree (with Northern Dancer). I think Crone/Poirier, who've been together for seven years (I think), have a great connection. They also attacked their program throughout, something that Weaver/Poje struggled with. They beat W/P by .32 - which to me suggests that outside the fall, they were about two points better, which I feel is true. They left the door open, but W/P didn't go for it like they should have.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Olympics determines the # of teams going to Worlds...I think we get the same # at worlds as the Olympics.

Well, if that's the case, can they share the pie, say, #2 goes to Olympic, #3 goes to World? Yah, that's kinda silly....but it sux to be #3...