Senior Free Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Senior Free Dance

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Well, if that's the case, can they share the pie, say, #2 goes to Olympic, #3 goes to World? Yah, that's kinda silly....but it sux to be #3...

Yes, that's up to the federation to decide. Japan did it. Nakano was only 0.17 off an Olympic spot at the Japanese Nationals, so they split it and gave her worlds with Suzuki getting the Olympic spot (Asada and Ando got both).

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
I kinda like the idea of splitting the assignments. Weaver/Poje have the momentum in terms of improvement since last season.. I also think they have the nicer program and execute it well (2nd mark). Both teams are very evenly matched technically. There will be lots of disagreement with how results ended for 2nd and 3rd spots, especially looking at the report cards online. It would be a really good way to recognize both teams.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
I'm a big fan of Weaver and Poje and love both their programs this year. In an ideal world I want to see them go to Vancouver BUT I honestly feel, based on this competition alone, that C&P's skating is more mature. Smoother, deeper edges, more attack. I have no issues with Vanessa's expression in flamenco - it requires intensity and she had that - it's not really about smiling or not smiling, etc.

But mostly for me it was the quality of the edges and the confidence in attacking the program throughout that made the difference between the two teams. Edge-wise, C&P are markedly better, in my eyes.

N

n_halifax

You're right about the smiling/not smiling part when it comes to a flamenco. The kind of things you most want to look for (if you want to be authentic) in a flamenco dance are a very upright carriage, expressive use of the arms, emotion, confidence and the rhythmic stomping of the feet. Smiling during a strict paso doble however - not so much.

beabstress

On the Ice
I read something about Shae-Lynn Bourne planning to formally protest the results of 2nd and 3rd place. I hope this doesn't happen. Going into this competition, everyone knew how close the second and third spots were going to be, not to mention how much was at stake. I'm not a W/P fan, and I'm thrilled that C/P came out on top; HOWEVER, had it gone the other way, I really couldn't and wouldn't have argued that result. I think it was just that close. One team does some things better; the other, others. It all averages out to pretty much dead even. Somebody had to win, and somebody had to lose.

And I'm not saying that Shae-Lynn and Victor didn't pull the short straw OVER and OVER in their careers; I'm also not saying that I don't think they got passed over unfairly time and time again. But I DO think she now has a mindset--quite rightfully so, perhaps--that's ready to find scandal and unfairness everywhere. For the sake of everyone, I hope she doesn't file a protest. I think this would be a wonderful opportunity for her to model grace and classy behavior for her students. (We already saw some borderline snarky comments from a U.S. pairs team that was not selected for the Olympics; I hope there are not similar comments from other corners.)

i love to skate

Medalist
If she appeals I will be severely angry. I have also read some comments from Weaver and I am not at all impressed with her attitude. At least D/B showed some class when they finished third - saying it sucked but it would have sucked for whichever team finished third. Weaver is portraying a "poor, poor us" attitude.

C/P are simply the stronger team, the faster team, the team with deeper edges, and the more innovative team. They got docked for their twizzles - what else is there to do? W/P are so slow and that FD does not look natural - it looks a bit frantic, imo.

beabstress

On the Ice
I have also read some comments from Weaver and I am not at all impressed with her attitude. At least D/B showed some class when they finished third - saying it sucked but it would have sucked for whichever team finished third. Weaver is portraying a "poor, poor us" attitude.

That is very disappointing to hear. Of course it sucks to finish third when only two spots are available! No one would disagree with that! Now, if this were the golden age of 6.0 and the "wait your turn" paradigm, maybe Kaitlyn would have some reasonable justification for having her nose out of joint when a "younger" team finished ahead of her and her partner. But it's not that golden age anymore. Now, you have to earn it; it's no longer enough just to "deserve" it because you've been around a long time. Vanessa and Paul earned it; case closed.

Besides, W/P can go to Four Continents and likely do quite well there. Sure, it's not as "exciting" as the Olympics, but it's still an honor to represent your country internationally--and it's also a great way to lay more solid groundwork for yourself when the teams ahead of you retire and you're hoping to be one of the new leading teams. It's all part of a process, and there's a bigger picture. I hope Kaitlyn realizes that throwing a pity party for herself is not going to endear her to fans who value good sportsmanship.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
O goodness!! I'm not sure a protest is such a good idea. It could hurt them in the long run. Showing some grace when there are quite a few people who disagree with the result will earn much more respect in the long-term. And I sincerely hope Katelyn and Andrew are around for the long-term. Just as there are lots of people who agree with the results, there are just as many who will look at how the GOE and second marks were awarded between the two teams, and scratch their heads. The majority in the audience last night certainly didn't seem to like the result. But future competitions could be much easier if they just "suck it up" and prepare for another day.

I think Vanessa and Paul and Katelyn and Andrew are very even in terms of quality of edges, knee action, etc. They are both really good teams. We can disagree on which program we prefer, but each team represents a different style of dance. Last night, I think Katelyn and Andrew were the better team. On other nights, Vanessa and Paul have been the better team. While there used to be a quality gap between the teams, Katelyn and Andrew have clearly closed it over the course of the season.

mystichaze

On the Ice
I'm going to say it right now, it WILL be a travesty if Tessa & Scott are not on the podium at the Oly's. I will throw up if Domnina-Shabalin win the gold, throw up I tell you!

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
I also think Skate Canada has a problem here. The right thing needs to be seen to be done. The words of Dick Pound are still fresh in memory. Any which way you look at it now, there is going to be a team upset and disappointed. It's really hard to close Pandora's box. What's done is done. However, I do think Skate Canada could take some of the sting out of last night by sending one to the Olympics, and 1 to 4CC and Worlds. The team going to Worlds can prove they belong there by helping to qualify 3 teams for next year.

samba

On the Ice
That is very disappointing to hear. Of course it sucks to finish third when only two spots are available! No one would disagree with that! Now, if this were the golden age of 6.0 and the "wait your turn" paradigm, maybe Kaitlyn would have some reasonable justification for having her nose out of joint when a "younger" team finished ahead of her and her partner. But it's not that golden age anymore. Now, you have to earn it; it's no longer enough just to "deserve" it because you've been around a long time. Vanessa and Paul earned it; case closed.

Besides, W/P can go to Four Continents and likely do quite well there. Sure, it's not as "exciting" as the Olympics, but it's still an honor to represent your country internationally--and it's also a great way to lay more solid groundwork for yourself when the teams ahead of you retire and you're hoping to be one of the new leading teams. It's all part of a process, and there's a bigger picture. I hope Kaitlyn realizes that throwing a pity party for herself is not going to endear her to fans who value good sportsmanship.

She's known for her poor sportsmanship, laughing at other teams when made mistake. She acted like she's superior to others. C/P have superior skating skills and have lots of potential. W/P are good but still can see the sloppiness and poor posture in her part. She always made me feel uncomfortable when watching them skate, everything seemed 'too excessive" and "rough". They have no smoothness in their skating, incomparable to V/M or C/P.They are pretty good in PR, making politics work in their behalf. I'm glad that they're judged fairly at the Nationals.

i love to skate

Medalist
I also think Skate Canada has a problem here. The right thing needs to be seen to be done. The words of Dick Pound are still fresh in memory. Any which way you look at it now, there is going to be a team upset and disappointed. It's really hard to close Pandora's box. What's done is done. However, I do think Skate Canada could take some of the sting out of last night by sending one to the Olympics, and 1 to 4CC and Worlds. The team going to Worlds can prove they belong there by helping to qualify 3 teams for next year.

I really don't see the need for an appeal as well. It wasn't an awful total splatfest of a fall. She just put her hand down and kept gliding. She also finished the second twizzle. The got dropped down to a level 1 and received a -.83 on the element. What more does Shae Lynn want? The rest of the program was gorgeous and smooth and they deserved their positive GOEs. Andrew also had a very visible stumble in the circular footwork.

As for the audience reaction, I heard a lot of cheers as well. I think W/P will only go to 4CC and Vanessa and Paul will go to both the Olympics and Worlds. Unless, Tess and Scott pull out of Worlds and then W/P will get to go.

If they do end up appealing, I think it is only going to add to the opinion of her being a poor sportsman.

Last edited:

beabstress

On the Ice
I'm going to say it right now, it WILL be a travesty if Tessa & Scott are not on the podium at the Oly's. I will throw up if Domnina-Shabalin win the gold, throw up I tell you!

I want Tessa and Scott to win gold at the Olympics--they are my absolute favorites beyond a shadow of a doubt, and I think their material, if skated well, merits that win, easily. That said, I could live with it if Davis/White or Belbin/Agosto win gold. They're not my favorites, but there's no denying that they have worked really hard and come up with some fantastic programs in their own right. May the team who earns it fairly and squarely walk away with gold!

(And if Delobel/Schoenfelder show up prepared and with great material, the comments above will apply to them as well.)

I will join in the vomit fest if Domnina/Shabalin pull off a gold medal. Even with adrenaline pumping like mad and everything on the line, I just don't see how they can deliver performances that can even come close to the four couples I mentioned. To ANY of them. Don't even get me started on that "aboriginal" dance. Alas, I'm sure they'll win anyway. But that's getting off-topic. . . .

herios

Medalist
I .

As for the audience reaction, I heard a lot of cheers as well. I think W/P will only go to 4CC and Vanessa and Paul will go to both the Olympics and Worlds. Unless, Tess and Scott pull out of Worlds and then W/P will get to go.

According to Scott's declarations in his interview, they WILL NOT pull out from worlds, no matter what happens in Vancouver. They have not yet won a world title and they are going for it!

Weaver and Poje will have to wait their turn next year, because I am almost sure the top two in Turin will secure 3 spots for next year.

Tigger

Final Flight
Do any of you not get what the big problem is here?

Forget the protocals...The General Public doesn't care or understand about that. All they see is that the team that got the second spot, got it after falling on a required element and over another team that skated better than they did. That's the issue here.

We were just starting to get some creditblity back to the sport here in Canada and the ratings were just starting to come back and what ends up happening? We have another controversy and at all times, another controversy going into an Olympic Games!!

Do none of you understand just how this looks to the General Public!?!

i love to skate

Medalist
Do any of you not get what the big problem is here?

Forget the protocals...The General Public doesn't care or understand about that. All they see is that the team that got the second spot, got it after falling on a required element and over another team that skated better than they did. That's the issue here.

We were just starting to get some creditblity back to the sport here in Canada and the ratings were just starting to come back and what ends up happening? We have another controversy and at all times, another controversy going into an Olympic Games!!

Do none of you understand just how this looks to the General Public!?!

Poje had a stumble as well and the whole program was tight and they did not perform their program as well as Vanessa and Paul did. So it is not as if W/P had a flawless and stunning program.This is hardly a resounding scandal - it was a close competition but Vanessa and Paul came out on top and will be going to the Olympics.

Lilli

Rinkside
Well to this member of the general public it looked like the better team got second place. I watched both programs twice and in my opinion Crone and Poirier just looked better. They skated with more power and I felt like the deserved to be slightly ahead of Weaver and Poje.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
I'm sorry, but it's this type of thinking that created the ridiculous Salt Lake City controversy where B&S stumbled doing an much more difficult long program that was otherwise light years ahead of far more simplistic and slower lp, but S&P were "clean".

The Canadian championships are not exactly broadcast worldwide. C&P are better skaters at this stage, and if Poje hadn't stumbled himself, likely that would have gotten them the second spot. C&P do have markedly better edges and speed and that gave them points.