Senior Free Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Senior Free Dance

IceDancer88

Spectator
W/P are within there rights to protest the rules are if you fall in an element its an automatic -3 C/P didnt get that on there twizzles but they only got one -3 which has been the difference dont ask how the judges gave a few -1 for a fall but i hope common sense prevales.

When are the ISU going to implement an over ride system for falls im sick to death of -2, -1, 0 when people fall during an element.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
No it is not an automatic -3.

Link

Page 12. Fall on a required element by one partner: docking of two GOE levels AND the GOE must be negative. All judges followed this.

i love to skate

Medalist
Vanessa and Paul were just officially named to the Olympic team so no appeal will be happening. Vaughn is officially going too! :clap:

IceDancer88

Spectator
Yea well even if they did just get through by the skin of there teeth i hope they get some new costumes they look discusing in every program

sk8rdad

On the Ice
W/P are within there rights to protest the rules are if you fall in an element its an automatic -3 C/P didnt get that on there twizzles but they only got one -3 which has been the difference dont ask how the judges gave a few -1 for a fall but i hope common sense prevales.

When are the ISU going to implement an over ride system for falls im sick to death of -2, -1, 0 when people fall during an element.

That's incorrect. In dance the rules state that a fall on an element by one partner is reduced 2 grades & GOE must be in minus. There is no automatic -3.

Last edited:

beabstress

On the Ice
Vanessa and Paul were just officially named to the Olympic team so no appeal will be happening. Vaughn is officially going too! :clap:

So now we can all focus on the positive, I hope: four hard-working and talented people just reached one of their goals in this life. That's something to celebrate! May both Tessa and Scott--AND Vanessa and Paul--do themselves and their country proud. Best of luck to all of them, and to all of their competitors, too. I hope we're in for a beautifully skated, fairly judged, and emotionally rich dance event. Is it February yet???? :biggrin:

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Yes, we need to get behind all our athletes, and cheer all of them on. It's not Crone and Poirier's fault. They are great kids and wonderful skaters. And I'm sure it's not fun for them to know some people will put mental asterisks next to their achievement, always questioning whether or not they deserved to be 2nd. What's done is done, and they deserve our support.

And Tigger is 100% correct. Bang on! We have to do more yet to clean up the lingering issues around the scoring system. We need to do this for the long-term good of the sport. It doesn't really matter what we think, since everyone here cares about the sport and is educated. It's about the people in the general public who look in, and come with preconceived notions of the sport being corrupt and too subjective. We don't need to give these people opportunities to say "see, I told ya so". (Saturday night.) People who believe the stereotype won't get involved in the sport as athletes, community supporters, and so on. Why would a business agree to sponsor athletes if they don't trust the integrity of the system? It doesn't matter what truth is. It's about perception. Transparency and some further tweaks in the system would help.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
One might argue that a cheating judge created that scandal.

One could also argue that S&P were overscored by the N.A. judges and that idiots Sandra Bezic and Scott Hamilton screaming to holy hell because they thought S&P had the gold created the scandal, and that the judge thing was the scapegoat. I don't think the judges has ever said that she believes S&P deserved to win the lp and if she did IMO she's not a very good judge.

What do you suggest needs cleaning up? Give the highest placement to the person who skates cleanest in the eyes of the general public because they are unable to perceive other elements of the program such as skating quality and difficulty of elements and grades of execution?

i love to skate

Medalist
One could also argue that S&P were overscored by the N.A. judges and that idiots Sandra Bezic and Scott Hamilton screaming to holy hell because they thought S&P had the gold created the scandal, and that the judge thing was the scapegoat. I don't think the judges has ever said that she believes S&P deserved to win the lp and if she did IMO she's not a very good judge.

No, you can't argue that because the head of the French federation came forward and said what happened behind the scenes. How do you have any idea if she is a good judge or not?

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

What do you suggest needs cleaning up? Give the highest placement to the person who skates cleanest in the eyes of the general public because they are unable to perceive other elements of the program such as skating quality and difficulty of elements and grades of execution?

1. I never said the latter. I was arguing against it, and as a rule, I'm against the public deciding things like this

2. Was she simply a scapegoat? Because I recall her admitting that she was pressured to vote the way she did. Did that not happen? Has it been misrepresented, because if that's the case, I'd like to know.

3. FWIW, I think the long program in 2002 could've gone either way fairly. It went one way, unfairly.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I hate to wake you folks up, but it is 2010 now, not 2002!!!!! GET OVER IT ALREADY. I can't believe people are still stuck on that. Anyway,Tracy Wilson pretty much explained why Vanessa and Paul placed second over W&P. It was one of those pretty close races. In ice dance, one little waver of an edge can be costly.

figuristka

Medalist
If your outside Canada like me and could not watch the live stream or the V/M clip of their free dance at the cbc site ( could find nothing on yt either) i was pleasantly surprised the taped live coverage of the Gala actually worked, and they showed both Joannie's free and V/M freedance during a break in the gala.

DanceBunny17

Spectator
If she appeals I will be severely angry. I have also read some comments from Weaver and I am not at all impressed with her attitude. At least D/B showed some class when they finished third - saying it sucked but it would have sucked for whichever team finished third. Weaver is portraying a "poor, poor us" attitude

Hey everyone, I'm just new to this board and read the whole thread, I was just wondering what comments etc. you guys are talking about, because this doesn't sound at all like the Kaitlyn I know :(

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
They didn't say anything bad, just that the crowd reaction spoke volumes or something like that, which could be taken more than one way. I think they said something close to that. And that they did everything they could on the ice.

The one thing I'm not crazy about is if you praise your own good sportsmanship. Like, I think after congratulating C&P she said we will always show sportsmanship. I know what she means but it's better to not comment on your own.