Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Senior Free Dance

Do any of you not get what the big problem is here?

Forget the protocals...The General Public doesn't care or understand about that. All they see is that the team that got the second spot, got it after falling on a required element and over another team that skated better than they did. That's the issue here.

We were just starting to get some creditblity back to the sport here in Canada and the ratings were just starting to come back and what ends up happening? We have another controversy and at all times, another controversy going into an Olympic Games!!

Do none of you understand just how this looks to the General Public!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Do any of you not get what the big problem is here?

Forget the protocals...The General Public doesn't care or understand about that. All they see is that the team that got the second spot, got it after falling on a required element and over another team that skated better than they did. That's the issue here.

We were just starting to get some creditblity back to the sport here in Canada and the ratings were just starting to come back and what ends up happening? We have another controversy and at all times, another controversy going into an Olympic Games!!

Do none of you understand just how this looks to the General Public!?!
    Poje had a stumble as well and the whole program was tight and they did not perform their program as well as Vanessa and Paul did. So it is not as if W/P had a flawless and stunning program.This is hardly a resounding scandal - it was a close competition but Vanessa and Paul came out on top and will be going to the Olympics.

Medalist
    Well to this member of the general public it looked like the better team got second place. I watched both programs twice and in my opinion Crone and Poirier just looked better. They skated with more power and I felt like the deserved to be slightly ahead of Weaver and Poje.

Custom Title
    I'm sorry, but it's this type of thinking that created the ridiculous Salt Lake City controversy where B&S stumbled doing an much more difficult long program that was otherwise light years ahead of far more simplistic and slower lp, but S&P were "clean".

The Canadian championships are not exactly broadcast worldwide. C&P are better skaters at this stage, and if Poje hadn't stumbled himself, likely that would have gotten them the second spot. C&P do have markedly better edges and speed and that gave them points.

Custom Title
    One might argue that a cheating judge created that scandal.

Rinkside
    W/P are within there rights to protest the rules are if you fall in an element its an automatic -3 C/P didnt get that on there twizzles but they only got one -3 which has been the difference dont ask how the judges gave a few -1 for a fall but i hope common sense prevales.

When are the ISU going to implement an over ride system for falls im sick to death of -2, -1, 0 when people fall during an element.

Custom Title
    No it is not an automatic -3.

Link

Page 12. Fall on a required element by one partner: docking of two GOE levels AND the GOE must be negative. All judges followed this.

Vanessa and Paul were just officially named to the Olympic team so no appeal will be happening. Vaughn is officially going too!

Rinkside
    Yea well even if they did just get through by the skin of there teeth i hope they get some new costumes they look discusing in every program

Quote Originally Posted by IceDancer88 View Post
    Yea well even if they did just get through by the skin of there teeth i hope they get some new costumes they look discusing in every program
    Aren't you a ray of sunshine

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by IceDancer88 View Post
    W/P are within there rights to protest the rules are if you fall in an element its an automatic -3 C/P didnt get that on there twizzles but they only got one -3 which has been the difference dont ask how the judges gave a few -1 for a fall but i hope common sense prevales.

When are the ISU going to implement an over ride system for falls im sick to death of -2, -1, 0 when people fall during an element.
    That's incorrect. In dance the rules state that a fall on an element by one partner is reduced 2 grades & GOE must be in minus. There is no automatic -3.
    Last edited by sk8rdad; 01-17-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Vanessa and Paul were just officially named to the Olympic team so no appeal will be happening. Vaughn is officially going too!
    So now we can all focus on the positive, I hope: four hard-working and talented people just reached one of their goals in this life. That's something to celebrate! May both Tessa and Scott--AND Vanessa and Paul--do themselves and their country proud. Best of luck to all of them, and to all of their competitors, too. I hope we're in for a beautifully skated, fairly judged, and emotionally rich dance event. Is it February yet????

Custom Title
    Yes, we need to get behind all our athletes, and cheer all of them on. It's not Crone and Poirier's fault. They are great kids and wonderful skaters. And I'm sure it's not fun for them to know some people will put mental asterisks next to their achievement, always questioning whether or not they deserved to be 2nd. What's done is done, and they deserve our support.

And Tigger is 100% correct. Bang on! We have to do more yet to clean up the lingering issues around the scoring system. We need to do this for the long-term good of the sport. It doesn't really matter what we think, since everyone here cares about the sport and is educated. It's about the people in the general public who look in, and come with preconceived notions of the sport being corrupt and too subjective. We don't need to give these people opportunities to say "see, I told ya so". (Saturday night.) People who believe the stereotype won't get involved in the sport as athletes, community supporters, and so on. Why would a business agree to sponsor athletes if they don't trust the integrity of the system? It doesn't matter what truth is. It's about perception. Transparency and some further tweaks in the system would help.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    One might argue that a cheating judge created that scandal.
    One could also argue that S&P were overscored by the N.A. judges and that idiots Sandra Bezic and Scott Hamilton screaming to holy hell because they thought S&P had the gold created the scandal, and that the judge thing was the scapegoat. I don't think the judges has ever said that she believes S&P deserved to win the lp and if she did IMO she's not a very good judge.

What do you suggest needs cleaning up? Give the highest placement to the person who skates cleanest in the eyes of the general public because they are unable to perceive other elements of the program such as skating quality and difficulty of elements and grades of execution?

Quote Originally Posted by nevergonnadance View Post
    One could also argue that S&P were overscored by the N.A. judges and that idiots Sandra Bezic and Scott Hamilton screaming to holy hell because they thought S&P had the gold created the scandal, and that the judge thing was the scapegoat. I don't think the judges has ever said that she believes S&P deserved to win the lp and if she did IMO she's not a very good judge.
    No, you can't argue that because the head of the French federation came forward and said what happened behind the scenes. How do you have any idea if she is a good judge or not?
    Last edited by i love to skate; 01-17-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast