Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mira Leung withdrawal

Hybrid View

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar

Mira Leung withdrawal

Here's the article:

http://www.canada.com/sports/2010win...463/story.html

I am SHOCKED she is planning on staying in for another four years. I really thought this was going to be the end of the road for her. Good for her though - she must really love the sport to have such a strong desire to fight back.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    "I don't think I was artistically dynamic enough as a skater. I just wanted to make myself a better skater artistically. It is difficult. I used to be just a good jumper. I'm trying to be a well-rounded skater."
    Oh my, I do like Mira, but she is delusional if she really believes that her jump technique was/is good. It's great that she wants to be more well-rounded and improve her artistry. It's too bad she decided to withdraw. I wish her success for the future!

On the Ice
    That is too bad. She was so favored as the home country girl for this Olympics until about two years ago.

Custom Title
    So sad...

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I guess she figures why bother doing the freeskate? The season is over anyway. I too, am shocked that she is already thinking about 2014.

If ever there was someone who needs an Intervention and right now...

I mean...Mira barely qualified for Canadians this year. Her skating's so obviously gone downhill, so what makes her think she can go on for another four years!?!

Talk about sad, sad, sad.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    If ever there was someone who needs an Intervention and right now...

I mean...Mira barely qualified for Canadians this year. Her skating's so obviously gone downhill, so what makes her think she can go on for another four years!?!

Talk about sad, sad, sad.
    Tigger, yeah that was quite a decline in standings for her. Has she lost all her jumps?

There wasn't too much evidence of them in the Short yesterday. I'd heard things had gotten bad for her from the people out West this year, but even I was stunned yesterday. I really think someone needs to sit Mira down and have her face reality.

It's not just that she's been passed by. She's also lost what little skills she had to begin w/.

Custom Title
    I'm kinda glad she's going to stick it out. She's got a heavy rep and if she really wants to turn it around and make the necessary changes, she's still young enough to see a resurgence given that Canadian ladies can stick around longer due to less competition coming up behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kissx3 View Post
    I'm kinda glad she's going to stick it out. She's got a heavy rep and if she really wants to turn it around and make the necessary changes, she's still young enough to see a resurgence given that Canadian ladies can stick around longer due to less competition coming up behind them.
    Canadian women's skating is the strongest now that it has been in a very long time - so there is tonnes of talent coming up the ranks. Leung has simply been passed by.

Mashimaro on Ice
    I just saw her SP. I felt she just attempted one jump and she fell on that one I feel she is a little chubby for a figure skater and that may cause her movements to look clumsy. If she wants to be more artistic, I think she should lose some weight.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I just saw her SP. I felt she just attempted one jump and she fell on that one I feel she is a little chubby for a figure skater and that may cause her movements to look clumsy. If she wants to be more artistic, I think she should lose some weight.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjZrxNgNg18

Here it is. Actually I wan surprised. It wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. All her jumps must have been underotated or else she got low levels on her other elements. She didn't pop anything and landed her combo and her axel. Certainly no worse than Bebe usually (well of course Bebe is more graceful and has better lines).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjZrxNgNg18

Here it is. Actually I wan surprised. It wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. All her jumps must have been underotated or else she got low levels on her other elements. She didn't pop anything and landed her combo and her axel. Certainly no worse than Bebe usually (well of course Bebe is more graceful and has better lines).
    I watched this and all I could think was 'This is someone who was an Olympian four years ago???'. Over the years she has not improved. In fact, she has regressed. The spins were slow. The double axel is still underrotated. Her jumping technique is awful. Her posture is horrible. She just does not look like she is having fun out on the ice. If she really wants to stay in, she needs to take a hard look at her skating and fix everything. Nice programs from Lori Nichol will not hide deficiencies in skating technique. Otherwise, she needs to move on as younger skaters are passing her.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    First of all to the naysayers here, the one top feature about Mira Leung from the beginning has been her guts and determination to make the 2010 Olympics. It must be a huge blow to her personally that she did not make her goal, but I don't think we have seen the last of this determined young lady. It's easy to sit here in the comfort of our homes and judge someone. We also saw today the return of another skater that most people had written off - Cynthia Phaneuf - she made the Olympic team. I think Mira Leung could take the same path as Cynthia - and return to competitive skating. It's a bit of a shock to hear this news about any skater. Eventhough Mira may be taking time off, I am sure she will be watching from the sidelines and planning her return.

Ladskater...Tell me you're kidding here?

No way, no how, is Mira anything like Cynthia. The reason why Cynthia made it back wasn't just because of her work ethic or belief in herself. Although they also had a lot to do w/it, but she also listened to what her coaches told her to work on and improve and then did those very things.

That's a big chunk of the reason why Cynthia's back. When has Mira ever taken any of the advice given to her and followed through w/it? Never!! It's always the judges....her coach(es)...Skate Canada...bad hotel room...whatever to blame for her results the last few years, but it's never her or Mommy's fault for how badly Mira's skating's gone downhill.

Someone really does need to step in and do something, because if Mira really thinks she can be a contender over the next few years w/her current mind set, it's not going to happen. Not only that, but it'll be beyond sad to watch.

I think the last little bit of the following article says it all...

The Toronto Star ~ DiManno : Leung skating across thin ice

Yet she claims to have her eyes fixed on the next Olympics, four years hence, when she'll be 24.

And that is kind of sad, actually.

"For better or for worse, this is my thing.''
    I really hope someone gives a dose of reality, but then again, would Mira listen to it? :sad:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast