Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mira Leung withdrawal

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar

Mira Leung withdrawal

Here's the article:

http://www.canada.com/sports/2010win...463/story.html

I am SHOCKED she is planning on staying in for another four years. I really thought this was going to be the end of the road for her. Good for her though - she must really love the sport to have such a strong desire to fight back.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    "I don't think I was artistically dynamic enough as a skater. I just wanted to make myself a better skater artistically. It is difficult. I used to be just a good jumper. I'm trying to be a well-rounded skater."
    Oh my, I do like Mira, but she is delusional if she really believes that her jump technique was/is good. It's great that she wants to be more well-rounded and improve her artistry. It's too bad she decided to withdraw. I wish her success for the future!

On the Ice
    That is too bad. She was so favored as the home country girl for this Olympics until about two years ago.

Custom Title
    So sad...

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I guess she figures why bother doing the freeskate? The season is over anyway. I too, am shocked that she is already thinking about 2014.

If ever there was someone who needs an Intervention and right now...

I mean...Mira barely qualified for Canadians this year. Her skating's so obviously gone downhill, so what makes her think she can go on for another four years!?!

Talk about sad, sad, sad.

Custom Title
    I'm kinda glad she's going to stick it out. She's got a heavy rep and if she really wants to turn it around and make the necessary changes, she's still young enough to see a resurgence given that Canadian ladies can stick around longer due to less competition coming up behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kissx3 View Post
    I'm kinda glad she's going to stick it out. She's got a heavy rep and if she really wants to turn it around and make the necessary changes, she's still young enough to see a resurgence given that Canadian ladies can stick around longer due to less competition coming up behind them.
    Canadian women's skating is the strongest now that it has been in a very long time - so there is tonnes of talent coming up the ranks. Leung has simply been passed by.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    If ever there was someone who needs an Intervention and right now...

I mean...Mira barely qualified for Canadians this year. Her skating's so obviously gone downhill, so what makes her think she can go on for another four years!?!

Talk about sad, sad, sad.
    Tigger, yeah that was quite a decline in standings for her. Has she lost all her jumps?

There wasn't too much evidence of them in the Short yesterday. I'd heard things had gotten bad for her from the people out West this year, but even I was stunned yesterday. I really think someone needs to sit Mira down and have her face reality.

It's not just that she's been passed by. She's also lost what little skills she had to begin w/.

Custom Title
    If her jumps are just shot even in practice then I guess that's it. I don't really see anything special about the current state of the Canadian women to the extent that I'd say she's just been overwhelmed by the excellence of others, though. Once you get past the tip of the iceberg it looks like the same level of talent we've seen for as far back as I can remember, only now with even more depressing juniors.

Custom Title
    Really sad news. I feel for Mira - deeply. I feel very troubled - for her - that she withdrew as well. I can't help but wonder what propels her to 'show up' then 'quit' (and I am referring to possible emotional turmoil and the fall out of "quitting" too). I just hope she is ok and wish her the best.

Banned
    Very unfortunate. Four years ago, she was the one to watch...and the goal was Vancouver....and wow, how low she has fallen. That's really too bad. I had no idea what she did or didn't do...but she must be with very bad company, guided by wrong people who led her into this situation.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissx3 View Post
    If her jumps are just shot even in practice then I guess that's it. I don't really see anything special about the current state of the Canadian women to the extent that I'd say she's just been overwhelmed by the excellence of others, though. Once you get past the tip of the iceberg it looks like the same level of talent we've seen for as far back as I can remember, only now with even more depressing juniors.
    Yeah, I feel incredibly for skaters who lose their jumps and plummet in the scores as a result. I was devastated when it happened to Kimmie Meissner, but I am hopeful that Kimmie will come back strong. I was very disappointed not to see her competing this season.

Of course, there's also the case of Caroline Zhang whose jumps seemed to get worse early this season, so we'll see how that goes.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    Very unfortunate. Four years ago, she was the one to watch...and the goal was Vancouver....and wow, how low she has fallen. That's really too bad. I had no idea what she did or didn't do...but she must be with very bad company, guided by wrong people who led her into this situation.
    Mira's biggest problem is her mother. From what I have heard mommy is a "Skating Parent" from hell. Mira needs to move away from home to train if she is to be successful with a comeback.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast