Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Senior Pairs Long Program

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    well shoot lets save more money, call off the ladies event, send Sasha Cohen and call up Michelle Kwan and have her show and forget the rest. if it's just about the dollar, and who cares about the opportunity... or really placement. It's not like Keanua and Rockne are going to have a top 5 finish any more than Cayde and Jeremy OR Amanda and Mark even with all those can's of cola behind them.
    well said! This is sport after all. I am glad USFSA made the right decision.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Wow. Anything can happen. I am so happy that this nationals is really being judged by what happens on the ice and not by reputation of the skaters. that is so refreshing.

Keanua and Rockne. They wanted it so bad. Great fight and they finally got through it on their feet but they had to be perfect it they wanted any shot. They skated with emotion and with spirit. But after the short really nothing could have been enough. I just feel so bad for them.

John and Rena. Stupid John doubling the first sbs jump. Dosen't he know that you have to GO FOR IT. Rean did and she landed the triple axel throw. I almost wish they would retire here and leave the ice with that great skate. It was really strong for them, she is amazing with those throws.

Denney and Barrett. So much better than last year and even earlier this year. Perfect program. When was the last time we had a perfect program win nationals in pairs? I think Spokane in 2007! It was magical watching them....one of those cheer moments we were talking about on that other thread.

Evora and Ladwig. I had no idea, and neither did they, i think as I watched they would make the team. I have really liked them for a few years, they make such a nice picture on the ice and she has beautiful positions in the lifts...i love all the little dance lifts. So happy for them. I don't think she could believe it when they realized they would make the team.

All in all, great event. Nice to see fair judging and skaters really going for it and skating with fire, passion and emotion.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I wouldn't exaclty say unknown. Evora and Ladwig competed at the 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 U.S. championships, finishing fourth twice. This season they competed in the Grand Prix at Cup of China (7th) and Skate America (6th).

There is a lot of information about them at Heather C.'s site (click on the pictures on the on the left for the menu.

Here is Amanda if you want to start a new page in your photo collection.

http://www.evora-ladwig.com/assets/a...graphyname.jpg
    Thanks for the background (and the pic ) I knew of Inoue/Baldwin (they were at '06 Olys) and Mclaughlin/Brubaker (I'm really surprised they couldn't pull it together at Nats...again, looking to the ladies' event, means ANYTHING can happen). I vaguely remember Denny/Barrett from last year's Nats.

Congrats to the future Olympians.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Has anyone read this article? There are so many incorrect statements!!

1) Brooke Castile and Benjamin Okolski - Overall Total 169.95
    The 2007 National Champions didn’t execute their side-by-side jumps as planned and had a step out on the throw triple flip. But very nice throw triple salchow and beautiful lifts.
    They opened with beautiful SBS 3Sal - a jump that has been their nemesis.

2) Rena Inoue and John Baldwin - Overall Total 173.18
    The Torino Olympians opened their free skate with shaky side-by-side triple toes as Baldwin two footed his.
    John only did a double, he did not two-foot.

3) And this does not make since: 2006 Olympians Rena Inoue and John Baldwin finished third at Nationals, but missed the Olympic team. Following the event, they expressed displeasure in the selection procedures saying “The top two teams here should go, otherwise, why have U.S. nationals?" This would make sense if I/B had finished second, but were not picked for the team.

Really horrible reporting. :frown2: :sheesh:

Wow, I am so shocked with they way the event turned out but so thrilled. My dream team was Denney & Barrett and Evora & Ladwig but never did I think that they would both make it. What an awesome experience Vancouver will be for them.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Thank you, hrm, for making it plain how the media messes things up.

As one who used to earn my bread by working with the media, I get very tired of hearing media reports treated like the gospel. I really think that every quote in a media report should be double-checked with the person quoted. Of course that person will never own up to a bad quote. Nevertheless, that would mean some kind of check and balance. Without that the media has too much authority.

For all we know, in 100 years that NBC account may be the sole record of what happened at these Nationals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    John won tons of respect from me by standing by and behind and trying to help Christopher Bowman in so many ways over all those years.
    Oh~
    I didn't know that...

Custom Title
    Some thoughts:

I'm excited that the US pairs this Nationals have all been really strong. Jim Peterson is definitely going to be a USFSA darling-- I feel like this is the start of a Bin Yao-like pairs skating program for him. Its alot to be proud of to have home grown talent on the ice as well as on the sidelines. While US ice dancing is getting stronger and stronger its not quite the same when its Russian coaches who are also coaching a top Canadian team.

I'm fine with I/B placing behind E/L because first 1) their throw triple axel had almost no speed and the commentators were even surprised she landed it with that entrance 2) I/B have been to the Olympics and E/L are like the second oldest team having competed in 8 senior nationals so I feel like the 'they just want to send the younger teams' argument is pretty moot. That no-hands lift had a bigger wow-factor for me than the throw triple axel.

Dobbs/Jacobsen really impressed me with their yellow river concerto program! They're the perfect build-match, relate well to each other/music and skate with so much speed!

I'm still a bit sad for Yankowskas/Coughlin. I think she got nervous/too excited what with their second place short program placement and all. She's so cute though, I was at the edge of my seat hoping they wouldn't fall.

M/B might have stayed on their feet but the performance was still a sloppy one. Felt bad about that camera trailing Keaunu as she was leaving the rink in tears though..

Apparently Barrett and Evora have been dating for a while now? Is this only news to me? I wonder if the rumor of an engagement posted on Inside Edge with Sarah and Drew was about them. Too bad-- this would have been the perfect timing/occasion!

This makes me relieved that Ladies/Mens may actually be surprising. I bet this will put pressure on the favorites and light a fire beneath the underdogs. Wow, I'm actually excited for Ladies now...
    Last edited by cornell08; 01-16-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Custom Title
    John Baldwin disses USFS (and Evora & Ladwig)...

"You want to use us (at Worlds) to help you save a spot because you don't think the other team (Evora and Ladwig) are good enough to keep that other spot," Baldwin said he told a U.S. Figure Skating official in turning down the Worlds position.
    http://www.ocregister.com/sports/-229525--.html

I don't like Baldwin or his attitude, but he has a point and is not afraid to speak up.... Take a look at Evora & Ladwig's personal best scores internationally and they aren't pretty.... a 51 in the SP and a 97 in the LP. I hate to pick on E/L here, but facts are facts... They've never medaled in a Grand Prix event (I'm not sure if they've even ever come close), they've never made a World team, and they've never scored well. Shouldn't an Olympic team selection be in part made based on who can actually score well there? If you skate well there and still score poorly, was that really a good selection?

Custom Title
    I just had enough time to watch the Pairs, then off I went to the movies with my niece & nephew, so only now am I able to give my impressions.

First off I have to say that I&B blew me away....first time ever!....I was almost as emotional as Rena when it ended. And John made me LOL when Rena landed the throw 3A, he kinda threw out his hands & looked at the judges like "take that"! Therefore I was totally shocked & disappointed when they came in third. No way. If I were the judges I would give it to them (i.e. second place). JMHO.

And of course D&B were the top of the field, no question about it, blew everybody else away. Easy as 1-2-3. They make all the elements look so simple & easy. One can just sit back & enjoy with no worries.

Lastly, Keauna & Rockne were heartbreaking, just so so sad. The whole performance was tentative, just trying to hang on, and it showed. :( Such a beautiful couple, it's just too bad that all their problems culminated at Nationals. Hopefully they stay in for the next four years, but who knows????

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE MEDALISTS!

Custom Title
    I wonder if I/B would be in second overall if John hadn't thrown up his hands to the judges after the throw triple....

actually that quote doesn't diss Amanda and Mark at all, he's saying that the USFSA is dissing E/L by suggesting they should not go to worlds and Rena and John should. I am actually impressed with how he's handling this.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8addict View Post
    When do we find out who made the Olympic Team?
    Happy new year Tonichelle.
    OMG! hey stranger! how the heck have you been?????????

He has kind of a point. I mean, sending them to World sounds a bit like the USFSA wants to have their cake and eat it too. On the one hand they want to be fair and everything, sending Evora/Ladwig to the Olympics - where the US frankly has nothing to lose, because no US-Team is likely to medal. But on the other hand, where they do have something to lose, at the Worlds, they want the old guns to seal the deal. I/B and D/B even could secure 3 spots for Worlds 2011, one of them placing 8th and the other 5th is not that much of a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Just peaking around and it seems like an unknown (instead of Inoue/Baldwin), is going to Olys?
    to you, perhaps, not to those of us who actually WATCH pairs skating

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    to you, perhaps, not to those of us who actually WATCH pairs skating
    yeah yeah

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast