Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Senior Pairs Long Program

On the Ice
    I'll chime in here. I think Nationals (in every country) should send to the Olympics whomever places in the top spots -- period. Otherwise, what's the point of Nationals?

For one, it's the Olympic Trials, so there's lots of pressure. To me, the ones who can withstand that kind of pressure and skate great are the ones who have a real shot at handling even greater pressure at the Olympics.

At the point of Olympic Trials and the Olympics themselves, it's no longer about who is a good skater--it's about who can deliver when it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by formersk8ter View Post
    I'll chime in here. I think Nationals (in every country) should send to the Olympics whomever places in the top spots -- period. Otherwise, what's the point of Nationals?

For one, it's the Olympic Trials, so there's lots of pressure. To me, the ones who can withstand that kind of pressure and skate great are the ones who have a real shot at handling even greater pressure at the Olympics.

At the point of Olympic Trials and the Olympics themselves, it's no longer about who is a good skater--it's about who can deliver when it counts.
    Just a technical point, which has been mentioned before -- the Nationals officially are not a Olympics trials event because USFSA did not want to lose the rights to the event to the USOC. Also as mentioned the committee takes into account six events in the past year -- GPF, JGPF, 4CC, Worlds, Jr. Worlds, and Nationals.

I do agree that Nationals should count for the biggest part. The Olympics is a one-shot type of thing, so why shouldn't qualifying it be? In other sports you only have that one shot.

I think the scoring was pretty fair. I/B may had the Throw Triple Axel, but they did double on the SBS, losing points. And yes Amanda had that fall on the Lutz, but they made up on those really awesome lifts.

I think it was great of I/B to gracefully accept the decision. I think they know that other teams need to have the Olympics experience.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    He has kind of a point. I mean, sending them to World sounds a bit like the USFSA wants to have their cake and eat it too. On the one hand they want to be fair and everything, sending Evora/Ladwig to the Olympics - where the US frankly has nothing to lose, because no US-Team is likely to medal. But on the other hand, where they do have something to lose, at the Worlds, they want the old guns to seal the deal. I/B and D/B even could secure 3 spots for Worlds 2011, one of them placing 8th and the other 5th is not that much of a long shot.
    Yep, I'd agree with this exactly. If they are not going to 4CC and not going to Worlds, can we assume that I/B have, in effect, made it clear they will be retiring from competitive skating?

I am thrilled for Caydee & Jeremy!! Im sad for my neighbors who probably heard me screaming though. LOL

I am sooo happy for Mark & Amanda and quite happy that they get to go to the Olympics.

I am very sad for Keauna & Rockne I was in shock from the short program and was REALLY hoping that they would be on the podium with Caydee, Jeremy, Amanda & Mark...but that didnt happen & seeing Keauna in tears broke my heart

I was also sad for Caitlin & John. I was hoping they could hold on for at least a podium finish after Keauna & Rockne failed to make the podium. I think Caitlin got too excited/nervous. Hopefully next year will go better for them. I am sad NBC/Universal Sports didnt show their short program. I guess I'll just have to watch it on Icenetwork.

Although they had some problems I still thought Brooke & Ben looked very nice

I was also pleased with Dobbs/Jacobsen. They did really well, and in one of thier throws, my boyfriend & I noticed that it looked as if she floated down to the ice I hope she does well in singles later in the week.

and although I didnt get my team that I was hoping for/expecting: McLaughlin & Brubaker, Denney & Barrett...I will gladly take take Evora & Ladwig in thier place.
    Last edited by Pikachuusb; 01-17-2010 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachuusb View Post
    I am thrilled for Caydee & Jeremy!! Im sad for my neighbors who probably heard me screaming though. LOL

I am sooo happy for Mark & Amanda and quite happy that they get to go to the Olympics.

I am very sad for Keauna & Rockne I was in shock from the short program and was REALLY hoping that they would be on the podium with Caydee, Jeremy, Amanda & Mark...but that didnt happen & seeing Keauna in tears broke my heart

I was also sad for Caitlin & John. I was hoping they could hold on for at least a podium finish after Keauna & Rockne failed to make the podium. I think Caitlin got too excited/nervous. Hopefully next year will go better for them. I am sad NBC/Universal Sports didnt show their short program. I guess I'll just have to watch it on Icenetwork.

Although they had some problems I still thought Brooke & Ben looked very nice

I was also pleased with Dobbs/Jacobsen. They did really well, and in one of thier throws, my boyfriend & I noticed that it looked as if she floated down to the ice I hope she does well in singles later in the week.
    Your post sums up practically all of my feelings about the pairs event. While I am heartbroken for Keauna & Rockne, I am over the moon for Amanda & Mark. Last year they also skated a wonderful free skate, and NBC in its profound stupidity didn't show the program (which earned them a huge standing ovation, IIRC - we were there). I was jumping for joy watching them skating, and witnessing their reactions in the K&C and the post interview. I do hope that Keauna & Rockne put this experience behind them, and come back stronger than ever.

Custom Title
    So sad for Keuana and Rockne, but I do think it's fair that they are not going. If they had been in 3rd place I think maybe they should have gone, but all the way down in 5th it's hard to justify doing that. They have been having some trouble this past season too. Keauna is gorgeous .

Soo excited for the Olympic Pairs teams though!

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    OMG, how comforting for Amanda and Mark to know that the USFSA has such little faith in their abilities. I hope they prove them wrong!! GO Evora/Ladwig!!

Quote Originally Posted by formersk8ter View Post
    There are 4 Nationals leading up to the Olys. Which one should it be? and Why that one? Does it show the strongest which IS THE POINT of the Olys?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Just a technical point, which has been mentioned before -- the Nationals officially are not a Olympics trials event because USFSA did not want to lose the rights to the event to the USOC. Also as mentioned the committee takes into account six events in the past year -- GPF, JGPF, 4CC, Worlds, Jr. Worlds, and Nationals.

I do agree that Nationals should count for the biggest part. The Olympics is a one-shot type of thing, so why shouldn't qualifying it be? In other sports you only have that one shot.

I think the scoring was pretty fair. I/B may had the Throw Triple Axel, but they did double on the SBS, losing points. And yes Amanda had that fall on the Lutz, but they made up on those really awesome lifts.

I think it was great of I/B to gracefully accept the decision. I think they know that other teams need to have the Olympics experience.
    Good post!!!
    Only one luckly competition does not spell out THE STRONGEST PARTICIPANT(S) which the Oys demand.

The only sport afaik that uses a Trial is Track and Field and probably only the US. Can you imagine Jamaica refusing that dazzaler to the Olys because he sprained an ankle the night before?

Personally, I think the results of the Nats are in order for the Olys noting that E/L results are less than 1point stronger than I/B.

Further I would have M/B be on the Team if their LP showed what they normally do regardless of final placement. But it didn't, which showed me they were not good under fire.

The Olympics wll demand FIRE. Who can compete under fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The Olympics wll demand FIRE. Who can compete under fire?
    It is pretty obvious that the fire at Natls is HOT. If a skater can't take it at Natls then the odds are they would get scorched at the Olympics.

A skater/team might still get burned badly at the Olympics but it makes sense to take the one who can survive the fire at Natls.

I can't imagine how a little GP event with NO real fire could ever, under any circumstances, be considered the equal of Natls. And results from a year ago are old and prove only that a year ago a skater did OK.

What matters most is who can take the fire of Natls right now, a few weeks before facing the fire of the Olympics.

Custom Title
    After the pairs event and the men's SP, I'm wondering if Sasha doesn't have that ladies olympic spot bagged after all. I hope not, I really want to see fair judging.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    It is pretty obvious that the fire at Natls is HOT. If a skater can't take it at Natls then the odds are they would get scorched at the Olympics.

A skater/team might still get burned badly at the Olympics but it makes sense to take the one who can survive the fire at Natls.

I can't imagine how a little GP event with NO real fire could ever, under any circumstances, be considered the equal of Natls. And results from a year ago are old and prove only that a year ago a skater did OK.

What matters most is who can take the fire of Natls right now, a few weeks before facing the fire of the Olympics.
    My point exactly! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    After the pairs event and the men's SP, I'm wondering if Sasha doesn't have that ladies olympic spot bagged after all. I hope not, I really want to see fair judging.
    ...how is the pairs event proving it's rigged???? the right teams placed where they should have.

we'll agree to disagree. One comp between fellow athletes does not tell me who is the strongest skater to go on to compete against international athletes. Who among the Americans will be good under-the-fire of the Olys?

It's not about wining a trip to vancouver. It's about winning a podium position, and not by luck.
    Last edited by Joesitz; 01-17-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Custom Title
    My last note on this, I feel the USFSA has it in for the older skaters.......age discrimination.......just like in the work force (aka ageism).

If it's a close call, the younger one will get the nod, as seen here with I&B. And, of course, that's JMHO, take it as you will.

Also, if I'm remembering correctly, the pros returning back in 1994 weren't exactly received with open arms. In fact, the only one to win gold was, of course, G&G.

I'm hoping the USFSA's mindset doesn't translate to the Olympic mindset (crossing fingers).

To me, it is just better all the way around to have a clear-cut criterion for what you have to do to make the Olympic team.

The idea of a committee meeting behind closed doors, with only a nebulous charge to "take various things into account" -- that smells like politics, cronyism, who is buddies with which skater's coach, who has endorsement contracts that mean money for USFSA. To me, that represents everything that casts suspicion on the sport.

I like the cleanness of the USFSA's approach. If you want to go to the 2010 Olympics, get first or second at 2010 Nationals. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast