Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Senior Pairs Long Program

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think you just insulted Joe. He never agrees with me on anything.

"Mathman's decisions?" Oh gosh, I hope I don't come off as making "decisions." Silly opinions, lame jokes, and pompous pontificating, yes.
    We will have to agree to disagree, Mathman.

skating philosopher
    Let's look at I/B international record. Their highest finish in World's was 4th in 2006, right after the Olympics. In their last appearance in 2008 they placed 10th.

Their last appearance in the GPF was in 2006-2007 where they placed 4th, also their best GPF finish.

I really don't think that's super compelling. Yes, E/L have not proven themselves on the international stage, but how long do they have to wait for the chance? Yes the Olympics is a high-stakes competition, and certainly we want to send our best out there, but how is E/L going to prove they're not a fluke if they're not given the chance to prove it?

As I said before, other skaters need to have that Olympic experience. I mean look at Shen and Zhao. When they competed in 1998, they were young and were without lots of the stuff of the top skaters,but they had that experience. And look them now.

By the way Mr. Apollo, I'm very happy for your daughter! I just loved her pure joy and she seems like a humble person, which bodes well no matter what place they end up in the Olympics.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Mr. Apollo13, don't forget that I&B have also worked just as hard as your daughter & her partner (not to mention the countless other skaters out there), so I don't see how that has any relevance to the discussion. They ALL work hard.

Heck, if that were part of it, might as well bring in the fact that Rena has overcome cancer as well.

I&B have every right to show their dissatisfaction, same as the fans do, even when we know that in the end it doesn't matter. But that's not the point, the point is that we're allowed to discuss & debate. Thank God we live in America!
    So much word to these quotes from Nadine. Everyone here is entitled to his or her opinion. If raining on someone's parade was discouraged, a lot of these message boards would be pretty bare!

Whippet Good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I really don't think that's super compelling. Yes, E/L have not proven themselves on the international stage, but how long do they have to wait for the chance? Yes the Olympics is a high-stakes competition, and certainly we want to send our best out there, but how is E/L going to prove they're not a fluke if they're not given the chance to prove it?
    But isn't this the first time E/L haven't bombed at Nationals? They've had plenty of years to prove themselves, but they've always fallen short. If anything, this year's performance may prove to be a fluke. I hope not. I really enjoyed their program after it got going. I thought the beginning was slow and dull, but they really brought the energy and excitement after the slow start. I sincerely hope they can keep up the momentum.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    But isn't this the first time E/L haven't bombed at Nationals? They've had plenty of years to prove themselves, but they've always fallen short. If anything, this year's performance may prove to be a fluke. I hope not. I really enjoyed their program after it got going. I thought the beginning was slow and dull, but they really brought the energy and excitement after the slow start. I sincerely hope they can keep up the momentum.
    This is slightly OT, but one only has to look at someone like Akiko Suzuki. She's been on the scene since 2002 but just has gotten some notice this year with her great GPF finish and a solid Silver medal at National's (which was her first in nine tries). Granted she had to deal with anorexia that took her out for several seasons, but I still think she's still a valid example to point out.

I think E/L are similar in the sense they've been close, but not quite there. And I wouldn't define a pewter finish in 07 and 09 and a 5th place finish in 2008 bombing at nationals. I think the fact is that some skaters take longer than others to come into their own and this might be one of those cases. Not everyone can be a Barrett/Denney or a McBru.

they never truly bombed. They've skated relatively well in the nationals I've been able to witness (since NBC and ABC kept chacking them previously).

and I agree with Mrs. P - it seems to me that the skaters who are instant successes 9 times out of 10 become that flash in teh pan type... they're bright very quickly and very rarely once they have issues do they make a comeback... those that rise gradually seem to have longer careers...
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 01-18-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo13 View Post
    If you want precedence, flash back to 2006 St Louis Nationals.

Hinzmann/Parchem, despite flawed performances, outpointed Orscher/Lucash who were the reigning National Champions from Portland. Hinzmann/Parchem were third in Portland.

Their records the previous year were as follows: Orscher/Lucash 12th at Worlds, 3rd at 4CC, 5th at TEB, 6th at SA. Hinzmann/Parhem 5th at SA, 3rd at Nebelhorn.

Guess who the USFSA picked to go to Olympics/Worlds? Yes you got it!!! At least the USFSA is consistent.

Now to Amanda and Mark... they have been skating more than 40 years between them - and in those years dreamed of going to the Olympics. They have skated together for eight years and endured all kinds of hardships. They have trained well, done everything the USFSA asked them to do, had been dedicated and loyal skating denizens, and never once put their feet in their mouths. They've been repeatedly told, skate well at the Big Dance, and you will be rewarded. Well, they did!!!

How dare you rain in their parade!!! And to ask for an audit after the Olympics is just uncalled for. Who died and made you God.

You may be respected in this board, but I give you no respect. And just so you know, I am Amanda's father.
    Wow!!!
    Congratulations!!!
    Last edited by inside edge; 01-18-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Mr. Apollo13, don't forget that I&B have also worked just as hard as your daughter & her partner (not to mention the countless other skaters out there), so I don't see how that has any relevance to the discussion. They ALL work hard.

And as you said, your daughter & her partner have been loyal skating denizens, never putting a foot wrong (unlike John Baldwin, lol), so Congrats on your daughter & her partner making the Olympic Team. What an honor!!!!!!!!!
    you beat me to it. I was going to say Rena and John add up to be 100 years of skating between them. They are the one who feel bad at the end of the day. Amanda gets to go, so she should be able to take a little heat from fans.

Rinkside
    Well said Apollo 13! Congratulations to Amanda and Mark on a dream finally realized. They have been steadily building towards this moment for years. Their short and freeskate successes were no fluke, but the result of many years of hard work and sacrifice. Congratulations to all of our 2010 Olympians! Go USA!!!!

Medalist
    I'd just like to say that Pairs were so exciting to watch this year. I was pleasantly surprised. I haven't enjoyed pairs in years because of our lackluster performances here in the United States. Can't wait to see what happens with our gold team this year. Can they compete at the Olympics? I don't even know.... I'm not up to speed on pairs. Either way, it will be fun to see them skate there.

why wouldn't they compete at teh olympics? or do you mean realistically what our their chances... I'd say top 10...

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Apollo13, maybe you can answer this question for me. I saw video of a smiling Amanda holding up her cellphone and there was a text message saying Congrats on making the Olympic team and report to room blah, blah, blah. Is that really how skaters are notified they made the team, by text message? I thought somebody official would come and tell them or something.

I can answer this as IceNetwork reported that the USFSA was going more tech based... and they ARE sending the message via text message.

that being said the men were told to check their text msgs while they were at the press conference after the LP... so they found out before they had a chance to whip out their phone.

Apollo13, I've already congratulated Amanda & Mark on Facebook, but let me add my congratulations to you here at this board. We have enjoyed watching Amanda & Mark for the last few years, and have had at least two great opportunities to see them skate live at Skate America, at last year's Nationals & at last summer's Liberty Competition..We have also been fortunate to have a chance to talk to them following the practices and wish them well. We are so thrilled that they skated so beautifully at these Nationals and will finally have the chance to represent the USA at the Olympics.

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    I am just so excited for both of these teams - they both have a few 'rough around the edges' aspects to their skating, but they have such EXCITING elements, energy and both (Denney and Barrett especially) are just so genuinely likeable as skaters. I wish them nothing but the best as they pursue their Olympic dreams. Who knew four years ago it would be these two teams we'd see headed to Vancouver? Not I.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast