Senior Pairs Long Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Senior Pairs Long Program

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
no John didn't do anything to me or anything like that... there's just something about him that bugs me... it's just hte persona he has on ice/on camera. that's not the reason I don't feel it right for them to go, however. I'd send Rena in a heartbeat... aside from her falling on the 3axel 50% of the time anymore she's spot on... John's hit or miss...

John is a designated scapegoat. For some reason (or rather none) people, one after another, call him creepy, disturbing, etc. That's JMHO. Obviously no one will admit it, though.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
That would really suck if Amanda and Mark was not named to the Olympic team. It's not like I/B have a chance on the podium anyways. And internationally I/B haven't been doing well. So it would make no difference whether they sent E/L or I/B Plus I/B already been to the Olympics. Give another team a chance of a lifetime. E/L deserve to go the the Olympics fair and square whether they've had international experience or not.
I agree that Evora/Ladwig should be the second pair on the Olympic team. Remember four years ago: Orsher/Lucash were the defending champions going in and had been on the world team for three consecutive years. Hinzman/Parchem had never medaled at Nationals and had little international experience, but finished in second over Orsher/Lucash. Orsher/Lucash also had a terrible performance. Point is: it should be the top 2 teams unless there is an extraordinary circumstance. If Inoue/Baldwin had been on the world team last year, then maybe the case could be made for them to be the second team.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
For the record how have M/B done internationally?

I still think that Amanda and Mark, will not be going to the olympics. It should be either I/B or M/B,

cornell08

Final Flight
Did anyone else feel bad for Caitlin? It seemed like John Coughlin was ready to yell at her off camera or something...I feel like her fall on the throws were more an issue of them skating way too slowly.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
John is a designated scapegoat.

for whom? for what? for another favorite tanking? not his fault. just am not impressed with his personality. just like Evan rubs people the wrong way. different strokes.

Did anyone else feel bad for Caitlin? It seemed like John Coughlin was ready to yell at her off camera or something...I feel like her fall on the throws were more an issue of them skating way too slowly.

didn't see that, he seems quite supportive of her. he was fun to watch in the K&C when I was there in 2008...

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist
no John didn't do anything to me or anything like that... there's just something about him that bugs me... it's just hte persona he has on ice/on camera. that's not the reason I don't feel it right for them to go, however. I'd send Rena in a heartbeat... aside from her falling on the 3axel 50% of the time anymore she's spot on... John's hit or miss...

Thanks for clarifying.

BTW, I understand the sentiment for E/L. They are nice people and have worked hard in the shadows for years. But every team works hard and sacrifices. This is a tough sport and no one is sitting around eating bon bons.

I'm Rena's age and can't imagine the pain and hard work it takes her and John to train at this level. It's remarkable also.

But sentiment should not be the reason for picking a team. And since placement at Nats is not the only relevant criteria, I think I/B should not be eliminated from the mix. They should at least be strongly considered.

jcoates

Medalist
Point is: it should be the top 2 teams unless there is an extraordinary circumstance. If Inoue/Baldwin had been on the world team last year, then maybe the case could be made for them to be the second team.

Those are not the current criteria. So selection processes from previous Olympic trials are not relevant.

For the record how have M/B done internationally?

I still think that Amanda and Mark, will not be going to the olympics. It should be either I/B or M/B,

There had a 3rd and 4th just like I/B.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Those are not the current criteria. So selection processes from previous Olympic trials are not relevant.

There had a 3rd and 4th just like I/B.

Okay then that is who we should send: Whoever had the best international results, regardless of the national. Other countries, do it, its about time Team USA did it.

jcoates

Medalist
Protocols are up. The difference for E/L was a 2.00 GOE on their no hands lift. I/B got low GOE's and the 3a had an mins GOE of almost half a point. Both teams got level 4s on all graded elements except the twist.

BTW, Axels Loops and Spins blog is reporting that the selection will be announced live on IceNetwork...For Free.

Rena and John did amazingly well but Amanda and Mark flew. I think time is on their side - they seem likelier to rise to the challenge at the Oly's. I'd stick with the Nats top two and send them.

BTW - I loved watching Aaron and Cohen. What a little cutie - she could hardly keep the smile off her face! They look well matched. Hope they continue.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it was reported here earlier in this thread, too.

and I've hit 12,000 posts. I talk too much....

Last edited:

dewey

Rinkside
Here are the "official" selection criteria with E/L and I/B's results

1. 2010 Nationals: E/L=2nd, I/B=3rd
2. 2009 GPF: neither competed
3. 2009 WC: neither competed
4. 2009 4CC: I/B=7th, E/L did not compete
5. 2009 WJC: neither competed
6. 2009 JGPF: neither competed

Regular GP events are not an "official" factor for some reason. Neither are results dating back more than a year. I think they should stick with the above and send E/L. (The 7th at 4CC does not sway it for me).

Or they could send both to 2010 4CC and send the higher finisher to Vancouver.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I hope it's not steeped in controversy

this also gives us an idea of how the rest of the team will be decided.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I disagree, sending a team that has not delievered on the international stage and that has never gone to worlds, is a mistake. I/B should file a motion objecting to the ruling.