Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Senior Pairs Long Program

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    John Baldwin bugs me.
    Me too. It seems his actions depend on whether there is a camera on him. I love Rena though. She seems truly lovely.

pour atteindre l'inaccessible étoile! 1795's Avatar
    when and where do we find the final pairs that will be sent?

I thoroughly enjoyed the Pairs freeskate, there were some good and one excellent skate, standing ovations, emotions, tears... I was really rooting for D/B and that was an amazing skate.

WOW that was a SHOCK the two time regining national champions are in 5th and are not going to the olympics. Well, maybe not I mean the international results have not been there.

I have to say I feel so sorry for John and Rena, they have worked so hard, and the international results have been there yet as of right now they are not going to the olympics. I would send them over Amanda and Mark...no offense to anyone.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by boo69 View Post
    That would really suck if Amanda and Mark was not named to the Olympic team. It's not like I/B have a chance on the podium anyways. And internationally I/B haven't been doing well. So it would make no difference whether they sent E/L or I/B Plus I/B already been to the Olympics. Give another team a chance of a lifetime. E/L deserve to go the the Olympics fair and square whether they've had international experience or not.
    I/B won a bronze and placed 4th at the GPs this fall. That's not exactly called not doing well. Internationally this season they were the equal of M/B as the top US performers. As I have written in other posts, it's about sending the skaters who have the best chance of placing well. Others have already noted the E/L have not been well received internationally. I'm not rooting against them by any means, but there seems to be this disconnect between what some would like to see happen and what should be considered under the rules as laid out for the selection process. It's just as unfair to throw out the rule book everyone has been told exists out of some heroic sense of fairness based in the old selection criteria or the simplified version usually presented on TV. There has always been discretion available to the selection committee, but the criteria are not much more transparent. Those criteria should not be ignored.

Not trying to argue just noting there are other relevant issues other than placement at this event, especially if two of the places are essentially tied.

no John didn't do anything to me or anything like that... there's just something about him that bugs me... it's just hte persona he has on ice/on camera. that's not the reason I don't feel it right for them to go, however. I'd send Rena in a heartbeat... aside from her falling on the 3axel 50% of the time anymore she's spot on... John's hit or miss...

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    John is a designated scapegoat. For some reason (or rather none) people, one after another, call him creepy, disturbing, etc. That's JMHO. Obviously no one will admit it, though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by boo69 View Post
    That would really suck if Amanda and Mark was not named to the Olympic team. It's not like I/B have a chance on the podium anyways. And internationally I/B haven't been doing well. So it would make no difference whether they sent E/L or I/B Plus I/B already been to the Olympics. Give another team a chance of a lifetime. E/L deserve to go the the Olympics fair and square whether they've had international experience or not.
    I agree that Evora/Ladwig should be the second pair on the Olympic team. Remember four years ago: Orsher/Lucash were the defending champions going in and had been on the world team for three consecutive years. Hinzman/Parchem had never medaled at Nationals and had little international experience, but finished in second over Orsher/Lucash. Orsher/Lucash also had a terrible performance. Point is: it should be the top 2 teams unless there is an extraordinary circumstance. If Inoue/Baldwin had been on the world team last year, then maybe the case could be made for them to be the second team.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    John is a designated scapegoat. For some reason (or rather none) people, one after another, call him creepy, disturbing, etc. That's JMHO. Obviously no one will admit it, though.
    Perhaps his on ice proposal didn't help!

For the record how have M/B done internationally?

I still think that Amanda and Mark, will not be going to the olympics. It should be either I/B or M/B,

Custom Title
    Did anyone else feel bad for Caitlin? It seemed like John Coughlin was ready to yell at her off camera or something...I feel like her fall on the throws were more an issue of them skating way too slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    John is a designated scapegoat.
    for whom? for what? for another favorite tanking? not his fault. just am not impressed with his personality. just like Evan rubs people the wrong way. different strokes.

Did anyone else feel bad for Caitlin? It seemed like John Coughlin was ready to yell at her off camera or something...I feel like her fall on the throws were more an issue of them skating way too slowly.
    didn't see that, he seems quite supportive of her. he was fun to watch in the K&C when I was there in 2008...
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 01-16-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    no John didn't do anything to me or anything like that... there's just something about him that bugs me... it's just hte persona he has on ice/on camera. that's not the reason I don't feel it right for them to go, however. I'd send Rena in a heartbeat... aside from her falling on the 3axel 50% of the time anymore she's spot on... John's hit or miss...
    Thanks for clarifying.

BTW, I understand the sentiment for E/L. They are nice people and have worked hard in the shadows for years. But every team works hard and sacrifices. This is a tough sport and no one is sitting around eating bon bons.

I'm Rena's age and can't imagine the pain and hard work it takes her and John to train at this level. It's remarkable also.

But sentiment should not be the reason for picking a team. And since placement at Nats is not the only relevant criteria, I think I/B should not be eliminated from the mix. They should at least be strongly considered.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hrmsk8ngnutt View Post
    Point is: it should be the top 2 teams unless there is an extraordinary circumstance. If Inoue/Baldwin had been on the world team last year, then maybe the case could be made for them to be the second team.
    Those are not the current criteria. So selection processes from previous Olympic trials are not relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudkicker09 View Post
    For the record how have M/B done internationally?

I still think that Amanda and Mark, will not be going to the olympics. It should be either I/B or M/B,
    There had a 3rd and 4th just like I/B.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    Those are not the current criteria. So selection processes from previous Olympic trials are not relevant.

There had a 3rd and 4th just like I/B.
    Okay then that is who we should send: Whoever had the best international results, regardless of the national. Other countries, do it, its about time Team USA did it.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast