Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Senior Pairs Long Program

Quote Originally Posted by jovani2293 View Post
    This pretty much means that the US has to send the top 2 and top 3 to the olympics no matter what the results are.
    Pretty much. They don't have to, and there has been a certain amount of Internet chat about "the committee," but, yeah, pretty much.

The only way we can find out for sure is if Lysacek finishes fourth in men's.

depends on who bumps him off the podium...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    and that's the persona that bugs me... as if the USFSA owes him something.
    I read the entire article not just that quote (out of context), and I didn't get the impression he feels he's owed something by USFS. I think he and Rena had likely already decided beforehand that whatever the outcome of Nationals, they weren't interested in 4CC, and I don't blame them. They've been there, done that, bought the T-shirt many times over.

Still unsure about whether they will retire immediately or hold out for a spot at Worlds. I still think that from a US-team standpoint, they would be a good choice along with D/B, to be selected for that. But I could also see being in their shoes, being happy with a great final program at Nationals, and calling it a day on the competitive career.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Pretty much. They don't have to, and there has been a certain amount of Internet chat about "the committee," but, yeah, pretty much.

Yep, pretty much if any of the world medals finish off the podium. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Well, if his skating didn't cement for some his reason for not being included on the Olympic team, then that poor, sour attitude should serve reason.
    As Bigsisjiejie says, if you read the whole article John's comments don't come off that bad. He says that he thinks it is fair that the top two go to the Olympics, that (having finished third) he is not asking for any special consideration, and that he and his partner do not intend to do Four Continents and will probably retire.

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archi...s/usnats10.htm I
    Last edited by Mathman; 01-16-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Custom Title

depends on who bumps him off the podium...
    Not really if he is bad in the long and he is beat, he should be out. I/B and M/B made mistakes and they are internationally better then the top 2 and are out why not him?

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    If you read the whole article John's comments don't come off that bad. He says that he thinks it is fair that the top two go to the Olympics, that (having finished third) he is not asking for any special consideration, and that he and his partner do not intend to do Four Continents and will probable retire.

Well, if I misunderstood the context of his comments, then I apologize, but I think there have been other media instances where Baldwin has shown a poor attitude, and that's really too bad. He really needs to learn to be a better sport!

If you read the whole article John's comments don't come off that bad. He says that he thinks it is fair that the top two go to the Olympics, that (having finished third) he is not asking for any special consideration, and that he and his partner do not intend to do Four Continents and will probable retire.

We could also cut him some slack if he did say something.....
    It was close, they skated very well and it must be terribly disappointing to come as close as they did.

But I don't think any of the skaters are gonna be surprised when the order of finish is used. They know the deal and it has been like this forever.

Like Toni said, "it's tradition." It's Nationals

Down With It
    Just peaking around and it seems like an unknown (instead of Inoue/Baldwin), is going to Olys? This might have implications for the rest of the event- like someone else said earlier, top 2 (or 3) go to Olys no matter what. For the ladies, this is especially big since there are potentially 6 that can do it. Bring on next weekend

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Just peaking around and it seems like an unknown (instead of Inoue/Baldwin), is going to Olys? This might have implications for the rest of the event- like someone else said earlier, top 2 (or 3) go to Olys no matter what. For the ladies, this is especially big since there are potentially 6 that can do it. Bring on next weekend
    Thanx.

Custom Title

Olympic team

wow, Coke and NBC really put a lot of eggs in the M/B basket with that ad.... they might not even make the team now.
    When do we find out who made the Olympic Team?
    Happy new year Tonichelle.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8addict View Post
    When do we find out who made the Olympic Team?
    Happy new year Tonichelle.
    From NBC Olympics:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-feat...ive+commentary

The top 2 were named

Final Standings

1 Caydee Denney and Jeremy Barrett

2 Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Sorry there's so much negative opinion about John. The comments in the context of the whole article sound like he wholeheartedly agreed with the selection, but he and Rena aren't interested in 4CC. Many, many top skaters aren't. I/B's career has been so long, and if they want a good LP at Nats to be their final competitive farewell, I can certainly understand that.

John won tons of respect from me by standing by and behind and trying to help Christopher Bowman in so many ways over all those years. Also, I just have so much respect for John's (and Rena's) longevity in the sport and for being solid international competitors for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Just peaking around and it seems like an unknown (instead of Inoue/Baldwin), is going to Olys?
    I wouldn't exaclty say unknown. Evora and Ladwig competed at the 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 U.S. championships, finishing fourth twice. This season they competed in the Grand Prix at Cup of China (7th) and Skate America (6th).

There is a lot of information about them at Heather C.'s site (click on the pictures on the on the left for the menu.

Here is Amanda if you want to start a new page in your photo collection.

http://www.evora-ladwig.com/assets/a...graphyname.jpg

Custom Title
    I say a hearty congrats to the medalists - all of them!!!

I think it's a great competition when it is so close and also so fraught with emotion. I have nothing but the highest and deepest respect for John and Rena and this must hurt a bit. I hope that - if they are looking for closure in competition - they find it, and If not that they feel proud of their LP today. I didn't see the shorts...but I guess they factor in here too somehow.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast