Caydee Denney | Golden Skate

Caydee Denney

I'm thinking Cadyee Denny will skate Singles as well as Pairs next season. At what level would she compete in Singles? Novice or Senior? (I just don't know the Rules.)

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
If she skated singles next season, her skills are high enough that she could compete in the senior level, I'm sure :)

gold12345

Medalist
Last time she skated singles, she skated Junior, I believe. I believe she made it to Sectionals and just missed out on Nationals. Or maybe it was Regionals? I can't remember exactly.

Last time she skated singles, she skated Junior, I believe. I believe she made it to Sectionals and just missed out on Nationals. Or maybe it was Regionals? I can't remember exactly.
Interesting. I didn't know any of this. Juniors is an age thing for int'l comps, so will she qualify for Seniors?

backspin

On the Ice
Interesting. I didn't know any of this. Juniors is an age thing for int'l comps, so will she qualify for Seniors?

In the U.S., there is no age limit for juniors or seniors. That's why a lot of times you'll have a US senior skater still competing junior internationally.

Tammi

On the Ice
I'd be very surprised if she did both. Between her training pairs and competing pairs internationally, there's not a lot of time to squeeze in singles practice on top of that. It's fairly common at the lower levels, but by the time skaters get to senior, they usually settle on one discipline. It's pretty tough to do both through qualifying and at Nationals.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Something tells me she'd be better off sticking with her partner. At least for now.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
At this stage of the game, I think she's got to choose between training singles or training pairs. Kristi Yamaguchi had to make the same choice and went with singles, but relative to her times, she had already gotten a lot farther with her singles skating than Caydee has. IMO, Caydee should stick to pairs.

However, if Barrett is intending to retire relatively soon and she doesn't want to go through the search and re-training with a new partner, then maybe it's a different call. But unless she's already got an arsenal of 3-4 good triples, not sure how she will be competitive at upper singles levels, as learning new triples at age 16-17 is a tough row to hoe, though not impossible. Now that she's tasted achievement at the senior and international level in pairs, I'm not sure she'd settle for being a 2nd or 3rd tier skater in singles, stuck in a pack of US ladies with stronger overall skills.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think Jeremy's looking at quitting anytime soon... I think they're looking at, at least, four more years.

N

n_halifax

At this stage of the game, I think she's got to choose between training singles or training pairs. Kristi Yamaguchi had to make the same choice and went with singles, but relative to her times, she had already gotten a lot farther with her singles skating than Caydee has. IMO, Caydee should stick to pairs.

Kristi wasn't the only one to have had to have made that very difficult decision. In the early 90's, Jenni Meno was a top ranked senior level ladies skater before she had to choose to focus on her pairs career with Scott Wendland - then Todd Sand. 1995 (I believe) or maybe? 1996 was the last season Kyoko Ina competed as a singles skater. Shelby Lyons (of Lyons and Wells) also competed as a senior ladies skater for part of her career as part of one of the U.S.' top pairs teams at the time. But after some point - you pretty much do have to decide on a focus or you never quite reach the cusp. Perfect example come to think of it: two top 5ish singles skaters that finally left singles and pairs skating to focus entirely on pairs - Olympic Gold Medallists Jamie Sale and David Pelletier.

t

She skated Singles and Pairs on rollers and did quite well nationally. I don't think she will split up with Jeremy B. She seems to be a very dynamic skater and can handle both disciplines. It's not unusual in roller comp to skate in more than one discipline so she is used to it. But the cost ($$$) of it on ice is much more than on rollers

Good body, good line, fearless!!! She may change the equation in US Ladies. She skates at high speed and easily makes Triples.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
She can't afford the time to do both, especially as the top rated US pair with requisite internationals (GP events). Also, when you do throw jumps, it changes the timing of the related solo jump and can cause problems (triple Sal and Kristi, anyone?).

antmanb

Record Breaker
Out of interest which triple jumps does she land as a single?

It would be a nice change to see SBS triple loops or lutzes.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Wow, thanks for the information. How are his triples? Is there any chance of seeming some of the harder SBS triples from them?

Ant

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Wow, thanks for the information. How are his triples? Is there any chance of seeming some of the harder SBS triples from them?

Ant

Barrett's triples are probably the limitation, and whatever he doesn't already have, he's not likely to get at his age. Even if he had all the triples, I'm trying to imagine how you'd get the timing perfect on SBS lutzes or loops due to the entries. Maybe not impossible, but difficult. To me, SBS triple flips (like triple toes) might be easier to get the synchro right.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Barrett's triples are probably the limitation, and whatever he doesn't already have, he's not likely to get at his age. Even if he had all the triples, I'm trying to imagine how you'd get the timing perfect on SBS lutzes or loops due to the entries. Maybe not impossible, but difficult. To me, SBS triple flips (like triple toes) might be easier to get the synchro right.

Thanks for the info on him, as to the other jumps I think it would be the same as learning the timing for any jump done SBS.

At the lower levels you often see skaters doing SBS double loops (on the circle like a salchow) and double lutzes down in the lutz corner. I think it would be ok to do. I remember loving that Shishkova & Naumov had SBS double Lutzes in sequence with double salchows in the their LPs back in the early/mid 90s.

Ant

anothermom

Rinkside
Jeremy is not as strong a jumper as Caydee. The previous poster is correct--his jumps are probably the limitation on their sbs jumping capability.

FSOWebmaster

On the Ice
Caydee informed us (the media) at nationals that she is no longer doing singles skating. She has put all of her attention into pairs.