Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: US 2010 Worlds Team

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    beijing
    Posts
    1,910

    US 2010 Worlds Team

    Pairs Selections:

    Denney/Barrett
    Evora/Ladwig

    Alt 1: McLaughlin/Brubaker
    Alt 2: Castile/Okolski
    Alt 3: Yankowskas/Coughlin
    Alt 4: Dobbs/Jacobsen (oy, can't ever recall a 4th alt ever before!)

    From some news reports now out there, it sounds like USFS initially offered Inoue/Baldwin one of the two World spots, but I/B declined. Maybe we'll hear more on this later. The Alt spots pretty much follow right down the results line, except M/B (#5 finish) were slotted above C/O (#4).

  2. #2
    Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    From some news reports now out there, it sounds like USFS initially offered Inoue/Baldwin one of the two World spots, but I/B declined. Maybe we'll hear more on this later. The Alt spots pretty much follow right down the results line, except M/B (#5 finish) were slotted above C/O (#4).
    I'm very curious now about if and why Inoue and Baldwin have declined a spot at the World Championships? Are they going professional or retiring? Are they going to the Olympics (long shot)? Are they ticked off about their placement and just not interested in going? I am really curious to find out if anyone knows anything more about this.

  3. #3
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,327
    Inoue and Baldwin are not going to the Olympics unless one of the teams above them withdraws because of injury or something. In interviews after the U.S. Nationals free skate John indicated that this was probably their last performance and that they would retire and get married.

    The USFSA usually just goes down the list of National;s finishes for the World team. But in an Olympic year the expectation is that some of the Olympians will skip worlds, either retiring after the Olympics or needing time off to recuperate. I think that might be why so many alternates are listed this year.

  4. #4
    Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    The USFSA usually just goes down the list of National;s finishes for the World team. But in an Olympic year the expectation is that some of the Olympians will skip worlds, either retiring after the Olympics or needing time off to recuperate. I think that might be why so many alternates are listed this year.
    I can't see that being the case in this instance though - I really can't see either of the top two teams retiring after the Olympics. Maybe I'm wrong though?

  5. #5
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,327
    Quote Originally Posted by n_halifax View Post
    I can't see that being the case in this instance though - I really can't see either of the top two teams retiring after the Olympics. Maybe I'm wrong though?
    I agree. I think both teams will go to worlds. I was thinking more of the situation where someone wins a gold medal at the Olys and spends the next month appearing on talk shows and going to Disney World instead of trining for worlds.

    About Inoue and Baldwin, I think the USFSA offered them the opportunity to go to worlds for two reasons. First, because they were oh so close to getting the Olympics (half a point), that it seems fair to split the prize into two parts -- the Olympics and Worlds -- and give something to each of the two equally deserving teams.

    Also, I think John is right, that the USFSA belkieves that steady international performers I&B have a better chance, teamed up with Denney and Barrett, to earn three spots for 2012 Worlds.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,134
    Is the US Men World team announced already?

  7. #7
    Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Is the US Men World team announced already?
    Not yet, I am waiting patiently...

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    beijing
    Posts
    1,910
    Mens Selections:

    Abbott
    Lysacek
    Weir

    Alt 1: Bradley
    Alt 2: Rippon
    Alt 3: Mroz

  9. #9
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    really hope one of the three bows out for whatever reason so that Bradley has one more competition... that LP deserves another go.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    really hope one of the three bows out for whatever reason so that Bradley has one more competition... that LP deserves another go.
    He's going! And he says he's going to attempt two quads in the LP !

  11. #11
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,653
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    He's going! And he says he's going to attempt two quads in the LP !
    Hurray!!!!!!! Oh Ryan, do I dare hope for two good skates from you?

  12. #12
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    He's going! And he says he's going to attempt two quads in the LP !
    I hope he kicks massive butt.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I hope he kicks massive butt.
    With his two quads, he didn't even beat the quadless Lysacek (well, fall on quad in LP) and Weir at Nationals.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,959
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    With his two quads, he didn't even beat the quadless Lysacek (well, fall on quad in LP) and Weir at Nationals.
    That's because he likes to pull the Tomas Verner and double or single his other jumps, especially planned triple axels.....

    If he's clean I bet he'll do great! Plus I just love his energy! Go Ryan!

  15. #15
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,771
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    With his two quads, he didn't even beat the quadless Lysacek (well, fall on quad in LP) and Weir at Nationals.
    He did beat them in the free skate though. The reason he came 4th was because his short program was bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •