bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Pairs Selections:

Denney/Barrett
Evora/Ladwig

Alt 1: McLaughlin/Brubaker
Alt 2: Castile/Okolski
Alt 3: Yankowskas/Coughlin
Alt 4: Dobbs/Jacobsen (oy, can't ever recall a 4th alt ever before!)

From some news reports now out there, it sounds like USFS initially offered Inoue/Baldwin one of the two World spots, but I/B declined. Maybe we'll hear more on this later. The Alt spots pretty much follow right down the results line, except M/B (#5 finish) were slotted above C/O (#4).

N

n_halifax

From some news reports now out there, it sounds like USFS initially offered Inoue/Baldwin one of the two World spots, but I/B declined. Maybe we'll hear more on this later. The Alt spots pretty much follow right down the results line, except M/B (#5 finish) were slotted above C/O (#4).

I'm very curious now about if and why Inoue and Baldwin have declined a spot at the World Championships? Are they going professional or retiring? Are they going to the Olympics (long shot)? Are they ticked off about their placement and just not interested in going? I am really curious to find out if anyone knows anything more about this.

Inoue and Baldwin are not going to the Olympics unless one of the teams above them withdraws because of injury or something. In interviews after the U.S. Nationals free skate John indicated that this was probably their last performance and that they would retire and get married. :)

The USFSA usually just goes down the list of National;s finishes for the World team. But in an Olympic year the expectation is that some of the Olympians will skip worlds, either retiring after the Olympics or needing time off to recuperate. I think that might be why so many alternates are listed this year.

N

n_halifax

The USFSA usually just goes down the list of National;s finishes for the World team. But in an Olympic year the expectation is that some of the Olympians will skip worlds, either retiring after the Olympics or needing time off to recuperate. I think that might be why so many alternates are listed this year.

I can't see that being the case in this instance though - I really can't see either of the top two teams retiring after the Olympics. Maybe I'm wrong though?

I can't see that being the case in this instance though - I really can't see either of the top two teams retiring after the Olympics. Maybe I'm wrong though?

I agree. I think both teams will go to worlds. I was thinking more of the situation where someone wins a gold medal at the Olys and spends the next month appearing on talk shows and going to Disney World instead of trining for worlds. :laugh:

About Inoue and Baldwin, I think the USFSA offered them the opportunity to go to worlds for two reasons. First, because they were oh so close to getting the Olympics (half a point), that it seems fair to split the prize into two parts -- the Olympics and Worlds -- and give something to each of the two equally deserving teams.

Also, I think John is right, that the USFSA belkieves that steady international performers I&B have a better chance, teamed up with Denney and Barrett, to earn three spots for 2012 Worlds.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
really hope one of the three bows out for whatever reason so that Bradley has one more competition... that LP deserves another go.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
With his two quads, he didn't even beat the quadless Lysacek (well, fall on quad in LP) and Weir at Nationals.

That's because he likes to pull the Tomas Verner and double or single his other jumps, especially planned triple axels.....

If he's clean I bet he'll do great! Plus I just love his energy! Go Ryan!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
With his two quads, he didn't even beat the quadless Lysacek (well, fall on quad in LP) and Weir at Nationals.

he didn't lose it in the Free, he lost it in the Short. He beat two of the three Olympic team members with his LP... but it was too big of a deficit to creep up and nab the third spot.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
he didn't lose it in the Free, he lost it in the Short. He beat two of the three Olympic team members with his LP... but it was too big of a deficit to creep up and nab the third spot.

Yup he was 2nd in the FS, only Jeremy beat him, and Jeremy did a quad too.

Wicked

Final Flight
Is anybody else worried that with the withdrawal of Tanith and Ben from Worlds, US dance could lose one of its spots? I expect Meryl and Charlie be on the podium but will Samuelson and Bates and/or Navarro and Bommentre finish high enough to keep the third spot?

Tesla

Final Flight
I don't think it'll be a problem. S/B placed 11th at the Olympics, and at least 3 teams ahead of them won't be at Worlds. I think the US is in good shape to get 3 spots in dance next year.