Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Senior Mens Free Program

Quote Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
    I did, I am suprised no one has posted anything
    Weren't the top three great? So happy to see Jeremy pull up to 7th as well!

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictears10 View Post
    I couldn't get on the forums during the mens competition, it was a pretty good competition.

Patrick won (268), Vaughn in 2nd, Kevin Reynolds in 3rd, Shawn 4th, Joey 5th
    Shawn won't go to the Olympics and no medal for Joey!

Custom Title
    That was a very interesting freeskate.

I would have sent Kevin Reynolds to the Olympics. This time last year, never in a million years would I have typed those words. However, I'm very impressed how much Reynolds has worked on his artistry since last year and his programs are a 100 per cent improvement. After watching his SP I sat up and said "oh, Kevin Reynolds." He still needs to deal with the weaknesses he has in his basic skating, which mean he does not have the speed and power the judges look for — particularly in the mens event. But his jump content was second to none with the two quads and two triple axels, plus another triple/triple combo.

I thought the marks for Chipeur were very generous. He deserves great GEO on his jumps, when he lands them, because they're gorgeous, but he's not great shakes in the artistry department. I understand he had a pretty sizeable lead on Reynolds going into the FS, but I thought Reynolds really did eclipse it in the long.

Patrick Chan is still in a league of his own in Canada. His total package is just far superior. I thought this was a good, though not totally brilliant skate. Huge, huge improvement over Skate Canada, though, so that's got to be a confidence builder. Maybe it's a good thing he wasn't perfect — he still has room to improve and peak at the Games.

But, wow. Surprised. Of the guys in the running for the second Olympic spot, Chipeur and Reynolds were down at the bottom of my list.

Could someone report about Ten's effort in the long? I felt so bad for him after the short. Was he able to redeem himself?

Also, do the top two from nationals automatically go to the Olympics?

Custom Title
    Big error in sending Chipeur over Reynolds. There is no way Chipuer is 9 points ahead of Reynolds in the PCS.

Condolences to Joannie Rochette and her family cosmictears10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
    Could someone report about Ten's effort in the long? I felt so bad for him after the short. Was he able to redeem himself?

Also, do the top two from nationals automatically go to the Olympics?
    Jeremy had a really hard fall on his opening triple axel, but was able to gain his composure after some time and had a decent skate. He moved up to 7th position.

The top 2 aren't automatically going to the olympics, but that is what has happened in the past. I'm rooting for Vaughn to go.

Condolences to Joannie Rochette and her family cosmictears10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictears10 View Post
    Jeremy had a really hard fall on his opening triple axel, but was able to gain his composure after some time and had a decent skate. He moved up to 7th position.

The top 2 aren't automatically going to the olympics, but that is what has happened in the past. I'm rooting for Vaughn to go.
    They are announcing the team right now, and it's Vaughn!

Medalist
    Jeremy skated well although not perfect. Can't remember the details but his skating was smooth and with very good presentation. As for the top three, patrickis in a league of his own but this was not his best skate. However his speed, flow and artistry were beyond the others by far. Vaughn's speed was very impressiveas well. I don't think that comes out on tv. Kevin's jumps were spectacular and his artistry has definitely improved, but Vaughn was definitely better.

So happy for Vaughn right now. Also impressed with Patrick's skate. Not perfect, but much better than Skate Canada and something to improve on for the Olympics.

To be honest, I really don't like Kevin's skating. I find him to be pretty sloppy overall. He fairly beat Vaughn in the free skate but I'm happy Vaughn came out on top in the end.

Custom Title
    I would ask people to look at Chipeur's transitions again and try to figure out how he got those marks. There was no choreography!!!

Rinkside
    I totally agree. Reyolds won me over tonight. While I am usually a fan of Chipeur's jumps, his performance just didn't merit the marks he received. It's a head shaker, folks.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by rain View Post

I would have sent Kevin Reynolds to the Olympics. This time last year, never in a million years would I have typed those words. However, I'm very impressed how much Reynolds has worked on his artistry since last year and his programs are a 100 per cent improvement... He still needs to deal with the weaknesses he has in his basic skating... But his jump content was second to none with the two quads and two triple axels, plus another triple/triple combo.

I thought the marks for Chipeur were very generous.
    I think Vaughn is the better choice. Yes, Kevin has the quad, but I don't feel that his artistry has improved very much at all, and his basic skating skills are very weak. I think it would be wise for his coaches to work on some of the basics with him, if he wants to take his skating to a world and olympic level. I think Vaughn is a bit more well-rounded, but I do agree that his marks were generous.

Custom Title
    It looks a little strange to me as well. Chipeur picked up more than twelve and a half points in PCs over Reynolds here when internationally, Reynolds' PCs have edged Chipeurs ever so slightly throughout the season. But whatever. Either one would struggle to make the top ten anyway and Reynolds has a much longer career ahead of him. He can try again in 2014.

Custom Title
    Chipeur ended up last and second last in his two events. He didn't land a combo at a single one of them. His PCS tanked along with him. I haven't seen the skates yet, but Chipeur has Reynolds beat on speed and edge quality. He's not great in that regard, but a 12 point difference is reasonable.

While Kevin has improved, he still skates like a Junior skater. Even though *jump wise*, people have an arguement for sending him to Vancouver, Vaughn is the better over all skater.

To my eye, Kevin's still obviously going through the motions choreography wise and thinking that side of things too much still. He *has* improved and big time at that, but there's room for a lot more improvement there too. I really hope Joanne keeps Shae-Lynn and Megan and Aaron for his choreographers next year, as they've done wonders for Kevin and he's finally on the right track w/them. He's just not there all the way yet.

Not only that, but his spins are still sllllloooowww....Better, but still slow. Vaughn's spins were fast, centered and crisp. Combine that w/his footwork which was performed by a skater who was obviously having a blast out there and letting it all fly and the jumps he did land and...Vaughn's going to Vancouver.

The right skater's going and I'm so happy for him after the season he's had so far!!!

Not a brilliant skate by Patrick, but w/out a doubt an improvement from SC. Then again, considering he's still making up that two and a half months thanks to the calf tear, I think the way he's skating right now is right on line to exactly how he *should* be skating right about now. Really when you stop to think about it, Patrick's season right now, is techincally Skate Canada time.

Now he can go back to Colorado Springs and work full out in prep to the Games. I haven't got any worries he'll be ready in time and I have a feeling having skaters around to push him is going to be the best thing in the world in the end. I'm very much looking forward to what Patrick's going to show us in Vancouver.

Too...Remember that unlike the rest of the field, Patrick's only done two competitions this season. Skate Canada and Canadians. You can't tell me not going to the GPF or all over for shows or whatnot and being a bit more rested than the others who have had a typical full Pre Olympic Season isn't an advantage to Patrick.

Maybe not a big one, but it's still there.

Regardless, very happy w/our Mens team going to Vancouver and here's to them kicking major butt!! .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast