View Poll Results: Who is/was the most controversial skater of all time?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tonya Harding

48 54.55%
  • Surya Bonaly

20 22.73%
  • Christopher Bowman

1 1.14%
  • Nicole Bobek

0 0%
  • Toller Cranston

4 4.55%
  • Johnny Weir

8 9.09%
  • Gary Beacom

2 2.27%
  • Lloyd Eisler

0 0%
  • Other (Please Specify)

5 5.68%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Most Controversial Skater Of All Time

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    I kind of liked Surya. Just acknowledging she was controversial. But it's not really a controversy I ever took sides on or really cared to. I just liked to watch her jump. No disrespect to Surya was intended.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    I'm not going to vote in this poll, but I admit I can find a place of respect for Surya. I also don't believe she was just a bad sport about losing in and of itself--I think she sincerely believed she was being unfairly screwed over.
    Johnny Weir was unfairly screwed over in Vancouver, but you don't see him throwing medals, refusing to get on a podium and throwing tantrums about it. Part of competition is learning how to be a good loser, Surya was not a good sport regardless of if she was unfairly screwed over or not. But then again, throwing a tantrum worked for Sale and Pelltier in SLC

The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea21307 View Post
    Johnny Weir was unfairly screwed over in Vancouver, but you don't see him throwing medals, refusing to get on a podium and throwing tantrums about it. Part of competition is learning how to be a good loser, Surya was not a good sport regardless of if she was unfairly screwed over or not. But then again, throwing a tantrum worked for Sale and Pelltier in SLC
    Bonaly threw medals around?

Quote Originally Posted by #1Kerryfan View Post
    Bonaly threw medals around?
    At the medal ceremony, IIRC, I thought that she refused to get on the podium and a man helped her get on it or something like that. Then she refused to hang it around the neck when she received it. She was crying. But certainly, she did not throw it away at the ceremony (if anyone ever dares to do that, any medal would be taken away, IMO).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea21307 View Post
    Johnny Weir was unfairly screwed over in Vancouver, but you don't see him throwing medals, refusing to get on a podium and throwing tantrums about it. Part of competition is learning how to be a good loser
    Based on his interviews, I don´t think that Weir was a good loser in Vancouver. He needs a reality check regarding his freeskate programme, which included successful jumps but was otherwise empty and not a good CoP programme. How can any skater expect good PCS, if one does not have a good CoP-programme???

I agree with Mathman, that there was nothing controversial with Harding, Eisler or Beamon.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Based on his interviews, I don´t think that Weir was a good loser in Vancouver. He needs a reality check regarding his freeskate programme, which included successful jumps but was otherwise empty and not a good CoP programme. How can any skater expect good PCS, if one does not have a good CoP-programme???

I agree with Mathman, that there was nothing controversial with Harding, Eisler or Beamon.
    What did Eisler do? Cheat on his wife? Fill me in MM. Why is he a scumbag? If cheating makes you controversial, then you have to put a lot of skaters on the poll, Kurt, Shae etc. I guess I've got to google this guy-loved his skating, tho.

And if you are gonna have surya for poor sportsmanship, then you must put plushy in the poll for his comments, actions, Nancy for hers and several others, like Irina. All protested their silvers and made comments to press. Johnny just makes more honest comments to press as he loses more. Galindo used to say similar things about not getting marks he desrerved due to being a gay mexican-american. Katia Goordeeeva (the real Queen of skating) was way more controversial than Michelle Kwan! She had quite a life while playing sad widow, raking in the bucks, seducing castmates, baby out of wedlock. She is the Ronnie Reagan (no stick Teflon of skating). If she's controversial then so is Jo Ro for skating so soon...some thought it very cold/selfish/unseemly.

I guess controvesial is a vague word....

OH MM, I knew he cheated and left his family/bad enough but did not know why he got coaching suspension. He wins number two in this poll in my book.

Thet were all controversial, but I say the human trafficking skater wins this poll by a landslide! I hope they took back his medals, car, house etc.
    Last edited by Bijoux; 04-06-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: i googled lloyd eisler

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2