Your favorite step sequences? | Golden Skate

Your favorite step sequences?

lulu

Final Flight
your favorite step sequences

Morosov made me do it!

Or rather the thread about Nicky and his step-sequences made me do it.

What are some of your favorite men's footwork, ladies, and even though it doesn't get as much attention as single footwork-pairs?

What do you prefer, straight line, serpentine or circular.

I think SL footwork very much creates a certain "mood" it seems more fiery and more passionate than other footwork. But I think seprentine and circular is more unique...

shine

Record Breaker
What if the footwork can't even be identified as circular, SL, serpentine, or diagonal? :eek: I mean in his LP Stephane does footwork like every 10 seconds! I think that's the REAL meaning of footwork...when it just blends into the program seamlessly instead of being a distinct section of the program.
But I digress...
My favorite kind of step sequence would be the serpentine, with favorites being the one Alexei did in his Revolution Etude SP, the Sandhu one from his SP of last year and the one in Honda's SP. I find it particular exciting because it just seems to be going and going and covers the entire rink. I think it's a test of the skater's true ability as it requires the him to skate with great speed in order to sustain the flow and excitement. And serpentine footwork can really be the highlight of the program.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
your favorite step sequences

Kurt Browning, of course, jumps to mind in this category. Pretty much any step sequence he does and has done. My favorite of favorites is from "Singing in the Rain." Then there is Nya (sp?) and Casablanca. Well, the list goes on and on. Any step sequence Kurt does is a classic and in a class all its own. Have I gushed enough?

I also liked the step sequence Kurt choreorgraphed for Tara in her military salute she did. That was pure Kurt.

Robin Cousins is another master at foot work. His program "Satan Takes a Holiday" 1985 pro skate is a particular favorite of mine.

Ice dance is where foot work shines! Anything Torville and Dean did - especially Barnum and Mac and Mabel. I also loved Bourne and Kraatz' Riverdance program.

I like footwork done in any fashion - straight line, serpentine or circular. I especially like Kurts' footwork because it comes out of nowhere and is so quick.

I like the fact that skaters are paying more attention to this detail. It really adds to a program.

Thanks for the post

lulu

Final Flight
Re: your favorite step sequences

Ladskater said:
Thanks for the post [/B]

You're welcome!:)

I agree with what you said about Robin's footwork-I saw his Satan takes a holiday-on one of those Magic Memories on Ice Tapes.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Robin Cousins' "Satan Takes A Holiday" great step sequences

but KURT wins with his Singing in the Rain, Nyah, and Serenade to Sonia... beautiful

shine said:
I mean in his LP Stephane does footwork like every 10 seconds! I think that's the REAL meaning of footwork...when it just blends into the program seamlessly instead of being a distinct section of the program.

That's what makes Stephane Lambiel one of my 'special' skaters. His footwork is throughout his routines. It is not set in one part of the routine for the ahs and ohs of the public and judges.

I'm hoping he takes care of his tendonitus and gets into at least one GP event before Euros, and Worlds.

Joe

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I don't care what type of footwork it is just as long as it is done with precision, speed and fire. One of my favorite footwork sequences was from Michelle's "East of Eden" short program. It was incredibly detailed and difficult and she did it with such flow and made it all "gel". The footwork from "Rach" in 98 was also much in the same style...incredibly detailed and difficult, but done with such speed and flow. I'm not much for footwork done on the toe pick or with a lot of starting and stopping, I much prefer when everything is fluid and there are no disruptions or stops.

mike79

On the Ice
I enjoy all of those mentioned. Another that I really like is Philippe Candeloro's from his 1998 Musketeer LP. The best part about it was at CSOI a couple of months later Kurt Browning did a parody of that same footwork sequence and had the crowd going crazy!

Taan

On the Ice
HATE all of morozov's footwork it is garish, gratuitous and ubiquitous.

i love one foot step sequences irina from her olympic short program was sensational and also surya bonaly 96 worlds short program was amazing....elvis stojko had the best footwork filled with all sorts of half jumps it was explosive and thrilling best part of his skating!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Ilia Kulik is so often forgotten as skating fans are speaking of great or difficult footwork... The latest by him which I admired very much, is from "Pick Up The Pieces".

LOL, about Robin Cousins and Philippe Candeloro... In the British Nagano Olympics commentary Cousins and another commentator mentioned about Candeloro´s straightline footwork something like "now he will be doing what he calls a footwork. They also added something about crowd being enthusiastic".

Marjaana

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
Well, I think maybe we got kind of "Morosoved out"...but the sequences he created that were executed by Yagudin in "Winter"....WOW.

That and anything by Paul Wylie or Kurt Browning.

diver chick

On the Ice
Alexander Abts circular step sequence in his Armenian Melodies Sp was great, really original and so flowing! ;)

Irina's straight line step sequence in her Apassionata SP was fab to watch, again the soft flow and wonderful edges.

Alexei's step sequences in Winter were great.

To me what makes a good step sequence is a sequence that fits the music and program well and stands out from the program without being blatant about it.

Alexei's whole Winter program was a dynamic and explosive program so the explosive step sequences fit the whole feel and served to provide a lovely balance to very clever routine.

In the same way Irinas Apassionata SP was a very very beautiful, elegant and soft program so an explosive and jumpy step sequence would have done nothing to enhance the program. Instead the strong edge work and fabulous gentle flow of the steps really suited the program and stood out for me.

mike79

On the Ice
Another that comes to mind is Yagudin's footwork at the end of Gladiator. When he performed it at Worlds 2001 he just about brought the house down with the footwork alone.

icenut84

Final Flight
Interesting topic! I love seeing good footwork.
And ITA about Stephane Lambiel. He puts footwork all the way through, not just in one 10-second section. He's quite unique in that, but I love to see it.

Some of my faves that I can think of off the top of my head:

Liz Manley, 88 Olympics LP - serpentine sequence. She did it without announcing it first, and it fitted the music and looked so effective.

Irina's 1-foot sequences, and also her circular one at the end of Don Quioxte.

Yagudin's straight-line in Winter.

Some of Fumie Suguri's sequences, the circular ones (like in her LP at 03 Worlds, iirc).

Phillippe Candeloro, 98 Olympics LP. :)

I probably like serpentine sequences the best, followed by circular. I just think they look so effective.

(But while Michelle's Rach footwork may have fitted the music - in some bits at least - it certainly wasn't that difficult, really.)

Vash01

Medalist
In pairs, B&S's footwork in the 2002 Oly SP (Lady Caliph) is beautiful, starting from the lunge-spreadeagle to the start of the death spiral.

G&G's footwork in the 1994 Oly SP was great, skated with the music.

Yagudin's footwork in 2002 Oly SP (Winter)

Yuka Sato's footwork going from one end of the rink to the other, with great fluidity (too many programs to list)

Michelle's footwork in Aranjuez (2003 LP)

Vash

silverfox

Rinkside
favorite step sequence

One of the most exciting footwork sequences that I can remember that had speed and fire was Michelle Kwan's Dream of Desdemona, her short program from 1997-1998.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I loved Candelero's step sequence in the "Three Muskateers" and any thing that Kurt does is sensational. My all time fav is Paul Wylie's series of steps and turns in his "J.F.K. program".........42

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Navka and Kostamarovs straight line sequence to Aint no Sunshine Since She's gone. Fabulous!!!!

Michelle's S/L from the Feeling begins

Fumie's circular step sequence from SP from 2003

Yagudin's winter sequence (when it was new) all these copies of it, both men and ladies, are boring me...

Totally agree about Elvis footwork. Saw him in 1999 when the wheels were coming off, and the F/w was still amazing.

Everyone know Browning's is great, of course. But so was Orser's.

And one absolutely cannot forget Gary Beacom's I'm Your Man footwork.

Doris

Last edited:

nysk8r

Rinkside
Great Topic Lulu :D

Candeloro's footwork in the three musketeers program made it one of the most entertaining competitive programs in my memory... so ingenious it was that Alexi sorta mimicked it in his Man in the Iron Mask program..... but that's just my opinion :p

The circular footwork sequence in MK's Red Violin program is definitely one of her best- running on her toepicks perfectly coincided with the melody of the violin.

As for Kurt Browning... well he's just Gene Kelly on ice. He could run backwards on his toepicks all day long and I'll probably watch (did he actually do that yet?)