Senior Mens LP | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Senior Mens LP

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Dose anyone know who will go to the junior world championship?

Nobody knows yet--it may not be announced right away. Of the USA's age-eligible men, my guess it will be 3 from the following Senior level competitors: Mahbanoozadeh, Hochstein, Dornbush, Messing. Rippon is now too old and anyway has won the thing twice. Mroz is still age eligible (I think) but has been 2 times before and also to Worlds, so Jr Worlds would be going backward for him. Ross Miner, who withdrew from Nationals due to injury, is unlikely to be recovered and maybe there are no medical byes anymore. It's also possible they will choose at least 1 team member from the US Junior men.

stickle

Rinkside
Do you really think he will fall from 2nd in the World to out of the top 10 in a year though? I know he didn't have a good skate at SC - it was horrible. But he did just land 8 triples at Nationals...

Oh I don't mind. I like that everyone is forgetting about him. I would rather have him as the underdog :)

Heh. It's going to be fun, isn't it i love to skate, when Patrick puts down a great skate like he did this weekend and blows away the naysayers, especially the ones who think Weir and Lysachek have a chance to beat him. :biggrin:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Nobody knows yet--it may not be announced right away. Of the USA's age-eligible men, my guess it will be 3 from the following Senior level competitors: Mahbanoozadeh, Hochstein, Dornbush, Messing. Rippon is now too old and anyway has won the thing twice. Mroz is still age eligible (I think) but has been 2 times before and also to Worlds, so Jr Worlds would be going backward for him. Ross Miner, who withdrew from Nationals due to injury, is unlikely to be recovered and maybe there are no medical byes anymore. It's also possible they will choose at least 1 team member from the US Junior men.

Ashley went to Jr. Worlds in 07, Senior Worlds in 08, then back to Jr. Worlds in 09 so my guess it would just be the 3 highest placing age eligible men from the senior event, as the USA is concerned with getting the best results and not who really is to old for the competition (Katrina Hacker is the age of a sophomore in college and went last year!).

kate

On the Ice
Ross Miner, who withdrew from Nationals due to injury, is unlikely to be recovered and maybe there are no medical byes anymore.

It think it was a pretty minor injury (just bad timing), so he really could be recovered for JWs, but I doubt they'd send him when he didn't skate at nationals.

luvsasha

Final Flight
I will have to disagree respectfully with you here. I actually adore this program. I just think it fits him and the jumps just show up like they're supposed to. There was several times where he would just float..and suddenly BAM! a triple!

What's everyone's thought on the blue shirt? I know some of you like the tux, but I actually really like this shirt -- I just love that bright blue color.

I think the bright blue is perfect for him and on him. but other people like the suit and that's okay too.

Jeremy!!!!!!!! i was thrilled yesterday with that. So so happy for him, and he handled the pressure so well. Yay!!! I just hoped he hasn't peaked, but I trust Yuka, Jason and Jeremy and I know they know what they're doing more than I do.

Oh and I adore this program too from the first time I saw it. I think it is sublime.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
The sunny blue shirt Jeremy opts for is jarringly discordant with the somber music he's skating to. I hate it.

The whimsical purple he wears in the short goes great with Beatles, shame though his synaesthetic instinct seems to end there.

And as for the suggestion that he can't improve on this LP performance, I disagree. He could skate faster and freer and get more into the music. It was a bit too clear he was meticulously focusing on every element in this skate.

Last edited:

futureidol

On the Ice
Let's be honest now, as brilliant as Abbott's skating was his costume looked like something a Novice level skater would wear, and one that's on a budget at that. Really disappointing costuming from him as his costumes were fabulous last season. His SP costume is okay, but a little boring. Looks like something Brian Boitano would wear to brunch. :laugh:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
He had so much speed and beautiful choreography jammed packed into that final part of the program. Also his spins were excellent. If he hadn't stupidly singled that 3A, and the step out on his 3-3 combo was his only mistake I think everyone would be singing a different tune about his FS. His performance level and speed were superb. I know I'm biased but Johnny also had the best SP IMO. That rendition of "I Love You I Hate You" was one of the his best performances of his career, can't say the same for Lysacek's SP, and I just don't like the music of Jeremy's SP (butchered Beatles, no build up in the music). Evan's FS was terrible in every way. Stiff, lethargic, uninspired, his choreo and footwork was worse than ever, the spins were okay and so were the jumps, but the fall on the quad was a huge miss. I'd say Lysacek and Weir were pretty even mistakes wise for the LP, but Weir's was a superior performance, and of course Abbott outskated everyone by a mile in the FS. I honestly would have given Johnny the silver just based on his spectacular SP (I would have given him an 88.00), and he probably would have gotten the silver if only he had the clean FS he was more than capable of (landing beautiful quads and 3As all week in practice). The nerves got to him (there was so much riding on Nationals) and if he works hard over the next month he'll peak in Vancouver. :clap:

Although there is beauty, I don´t think there is much speed in Weir´s skating, and as he was only 5th in the freeskate, he was real lucky to win the bronze medal.

I agree that Weir´s sp choreography is spectacular, it just needs somebody else to skate it to make it all spectacular. My suggestion would be Takahashi.... And he would manage the transitions, which surely were originally included?

Last edited:

viv

On the Ice
I just saw Abbotts LP - he was :bow:

Could somebody please post a link to Bradleys LP? I wanted to watch it but didn't find it on youtube. :)

futureidol

On the Ice
Although there is beauty, I don´t think there is much speed in Weir´s skating, and as he was only 5th in the freeskate, he was real lucky to win the bronze medal.

I agree that Weir´s sp choreography is spectacular, it just needs somebody else to skate it to make it all spectacular. My suggestion would be Takahashi.... And he would manage the transitions, which surely were originally included?

:rolleye: Yeah but Dai couldn't do those spins (Takahashi's weakness has always been his really bad spins) and he is always hit or BIG miss with his jumps. Johnny is a great all around skater, and it's not like transitions are the most complicated thing ever in skating. He's lucky that his problem areas aren't something serious like jumps or spins, he has time to work on the all mighty transitions (such a minor thing). I also find your comment to be extremely uncalled for. Johnny did a great SP and he should garner praise for it, not some snide remark that it would have been spectacular if someone else skated it. Please, what did Evan do at Nationals that was so great compared to Johnny? He stepped out on his 3A in the SP, fell on the quad and had an overall slow and uninspired skate in the free. Even though Johnny made two mistakes in his FS, he still poured his heart and soul into that performance. Watch Johnny's straightline footwork sequence and compare it with Evan's! There is no comparison. Also I think Abbott's choreo, connections, transitions, and all the little elements and details are great, but he lacks in the fiery footwork department for me. I think Johnny really outshines both of them when it comes to that, and the spins, no one gets that insane position, and not even a fraction of a centimeter does he ever travel, he's always so centered and perfect. And to the poster earlier who said Johnny looked slow in the LP... well if it were any other performance of his FS this season, I'd agree, but I thought yesterday Johnny had more speed and energy than he's had with his FS all season, especially at the end! Really fabulous stuff, and even the jerk commentators (really unprofessional comments from Scott during Johnny's FS, but I've come to expect that) agreed on the speed part, he only seemed to skate faster as it went on and he didn't let the mistake on the 3A ruin the rest of the performance. *fingers crossed Johnny peaks in Vancouver and adds his beautiful quad that he's been doing in practice all year*

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Evan is more imposing on the ice because he's huge, and his skating is super smooth. Johnny's SP was good but I really felt like he did not put his heart and soul into the LP at all, I thought it was boring. Ryan and Adam's FS were deservedly ahead of Johnny's because Johnny's was boring.

Evan was tense in the SP i'll admit, but apart from the mistakes in the LP, I thought it was beautiful. He has a great quality to his skating. I'm sad Ryan is retiring, I had no idea he was 26! I though he was like 20, he seems so youthful!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I just saw Abbotts LP - he was :bow:

Could somebody please post a link to Bradleys LP? I wanted to watch it but didn't find it on youtube. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyRV5_aXDtg

:love::love::love::love:

He doubled the axel, but put in one more triple to compensate for that double axel. I saw his score, the 2A got huge GOE. Perhaps it was intentional since a good triple + a double A with GOE = a 3A.

Under the 6.0 ordinal rule, if you're in the top 5 after the SP and if you're in the top 3 in the LP, you'd medal. In this case, he was 6th after the SP, and 2nd after the LP. Would that be enough to medal?

Johnny Weir really likes the 6.0 system. Well, he could be sitting at home if we're still under the 6.0 system.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Let's be honest now, as brilliant as Abbott's skating was his costume looked like something a Novice level skater would wear, and one that's on a budget at that. Really disappointing costuming from him as his costumes were fabulous last season. His SP costume is okay, but a little boring. Looks like something Brian Boitano would wear to brunch. :laugh:

Please, if this is all you can find to knock about the program, have at it. I found the concept understated and elegant compared to feathers and pipe cleaners (you know who you are). The material moved like butter to the sublime-ness of the program.

For the person that asked about the ordinal system:
Abbott: 1, 1 (1.5 total ordinal), 1st
Lysacek: 2, 3, (4 total ordinal), 2nd
Bradley: 6, 2 (5 total ordinal), 3rd
Rippon: 4, 4 (6 total ordinal), 4th
Weir: 3, 5 (6.5 total ordinal), 5th

So, he's lucky he built a 10 point lead.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Please, if this is all you can find to knock about the program, have at it. I found the concept understated and elegant compared to feathers and pipe cleaners (you know who you are). The material moved like butter to the sublime-ness of the program.

I admit I am no fashion expert - but if I had to wear one of those outfits I would pick Jeremy's.

I found Johnny and Evan's costumes ridiculous and would not be caught dead in either one of them. Although Evan almost had a "StarTrek" thing going :cool: ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I found Johnny and Evan's costumes ridiculous and would not be caught dead in either one of them. Although Evan almost had a "StarTrek" thing going :cool: ;)

unless you look like Evan I don't think anyone would want you to, anyway! :rofl::love:

aside from the shoulder things, I like the shirt.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Evan is more imposing on the ice because he's huge, and his skating is super smooth.

until he jumps... then he sprays ice for miles....

and freaks this fan out to no end when ever he goes into one. I should know he can land just about anything (except that stupid quad)

Phoenix347

Final Flight
The only thing I wonder is what does Evan's FS costume have to do with his program? Is he trying to set Scheherazade in the Star Trek universe? :)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
mskater93; said:
For the person that asked about the ordinal system:
Abbott: 1, 1 (1.5 total ordinal), 1st
Lysacek: 2, 3, (4 total ordinal), 2nd
Bradley: 6, 2 (5 total ordinal), 3rd
Rippon: 4, 4 (6 total ordinal), 4th
Weir: 3, 5 (6.5 total ordinal), 5th

So, he's lucky he built a 10 point lead.
interesting. I think Johnny has benifited a lot over the years from CoP. When he was in his hayday, like 2004-05-06 he had some events where he won by the CoP game which he ironically dissed.