Senior Mens LP | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Senior Mens LP

futureidol

On the Ice
The year that Johnny worked with Annisina was the last year which I truly believed in my heart that he might be able to have a break through. He wasn't totally focusing on his skating in that year, so it didn't happen. After that year, all I have seen was his struggle to survive, year after year, this season, there is no exception.

That is SO UNTRUE his 07-08 season was SO good, two golds on the GP circuit, and the stupid "tie" at nationals that should have been his 4th title, and is a Bronze at Worlds worthless? Also the 08-09 season started so good for him with 2 silvers and a bronze at GPF, then he had a misfortune at Nationals. Yes he is crawling back out of the ashes and doing everything he can to hold on, and he did this season so far with a silver at NHK and then winning bronze at GPF (again) and Nationals and making his 2nd Olympic team. Yes he has had struggles, but he always manages to put right what went wrong. I still believe he is still capable of greatness on the biggest world stage.

soogar

Record Breaker
That is SO UNTRUE his 07-08 season was SO good, two golds on the GP circuit, and the stupid "tie" at nationals that should have been his 4th title, and is a Bronze at Worlds worthless? Also the 08-09 season started so good for him with 2 silvers and a bronze at GPF, then he had a misfortune at Nationals. Yes he is crawling back out of the ashes and doing everything he can to hold on, and he did this season so far with a silver at NHK and then winning bronze at GPF (again) and Nationals and making his 2nd Olympic team. Yes he has had struggles, but he always manages to put right what went wrong. I still believe he is still capable of greatness on the biggest world stage.

I don't feel that Johnny is working up to his talent. Those are good results but his actual skating - both skills and artistic impression- has stagnated. He's just trying to maintain his level. I remember seeing footage of him at the Olympic practices reeling off a 4-3-3 combo as if it were nothing. A triple axel was an effortless jump for him. Strange for me to see him struggle and he's not adding anything to his technical content either.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Thank you. I've been thinking this and wondering if I am going crazy. I know Johnny is not a COP fan and I imagine that is part of his struggles, but I recall his jumps being smooth as butter with the most amazing cat-like landings. Now he looks labored as if he has to work so hard and I just don't get what has happened.

janetfan

Match Penalty
NO! Evan did not beat Brian. Brian gave the title to Evan by accident.:)

A quad is one thing - but can we really have a World Champion who falls on a 2A? :eek:
Such a mistake I expect from a junior skater ;)

Euro SP's were good and now I wait for LP. Should be exciting and I wish all good luck.

And also to Laura :love:

Layfan

Record Breaker
What does Brian Joubert have that Jeremy doesn't? Aside from star power and a more decorated career? I don't know ... I'm asking seriously. It's not a rhetorical question.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Why not? We have had a World Champion who's 3A is like 3S ;):biggrin:. ...Any way, it won't happen again, at least from what I've seen so far this year.

Better worry about Jeremy. If he is on in Vancouver he could be hard to beat. :yes:

jennylovskt

Medalist
What does Brian Joubert have that Jeremy doesn't? Aside from star power and a more decorated career? I don't know ... I'm asking seriously. It's not a rhetorical question.

If you ask me, I would say not much, except the power, the force, and the speed, maybe plus the consistency. I imagine that's where Jeremy loses his PCS. On the other hand, Abbott does have more musicality, the inner deep feeling, and the detail portraying.

janetfan

Match Penalty
If you ask me, I would say not much, except the power, the force, and the speed, maybe plus the consistency. I imagine that's where Jeremy loses his PCS. On the other hand, Abbott does have more musicality, the inner deep feeling, and the detail portraying.

I like both of them so for second time this week we agree :eek:

Layfan

Record Breaker

I'd say that's a pretty good assessment. The consistency thing is an issue but Jeremy has really gained confidence I think. He said at the news conference after nationals that last year he peaked too soon and was exhausted and unfocused at worlds. He said he has been careful to pace himself better this year.
Maybe it'll be the same for Alissa. She and Jeremy were both national champions and both finished 11th at 2009 world. But only Alissa got so much grief for it.:unsure:

Tesla

Final Flight
Maybe it'll be the same for Alissa. She and Jeremy were both national champions and both finished 11th at 2009 world. But only Alissa got so much grief for it.:unsure:

Because she and Flatt couldn't regain the 3 spots for US. In actuality, the 2008 team of Meisner, Liang, and Wagner should be blamed.

But then again, the U.S. World team in 2008 should have been Mirai, Rachel and Ashley, so the real culprit is the ISU age rules. :biggrin:

soogar

Record Breaker

Jeremy isn't a memorable skater and his musicality is the same as Matt Savoie's - both skaters have good qualities but do not grab the audience. Even though Jeremy's free skate was spectacular, I was more excited by Evan's skating.

Brian Joubert and Plushenko may not have that "musical" skating that Jeremy has but those guys (and Lambiel) are way above him in projecting to an audience. Unrelated but I saw Plush's Euros SP on youtube and even with the crappy image was more exciting and interesting than Jeremy's LP that I had seen on large screen TV.