Senior Mens LP | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Senior Mens LP

i love to skate

Medalist
not that. We just don't like him.

I think if Abbott skates like the US national at the Olympics, he will surely medal. Abbott is my favorite male skater by far this season. I just love his simply costumes and music and artistry. He has it all.

That's fine if you don't like him. But I find it hard to believe that people seriously think he won't even make the top 10...

N

n_halifax

That's fine if you don't like him. But I find it hard to believe that people seriously think he won't even make the top 10...

I think he will most likely make the top ten - definitely! I don't think he's as much of a 'contender' as people make him out to be here in Canada though. He might just blow the roof off the place - who knows? We'll know in Vancouver.

i love to skate

Medalist
I think he will most likely make the top ten - definitely! I don't think he's as much of a 'contender' as people make him out to be here in Canada though. He might just blow the roof off the place - who knows? We'll know in Vancouver.

Well he did finish 2nd at last year's worlds....does that not make him a contender? Patrick has lots of room for improvement but it sounds like so do the rest of the men - seems he had a cleaner skate than both Evan and Johnny did here. I prefer him to be the underdog though. Abbott was exceptional, I hope he can keep it together in Vancouver. Does anyone know if there are protocals from the US men's event anywhere?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Do you really think he will fall from 2nd in the World to out of the top 10 in a year though? I know he didn't have a good skate at SC - it was horrible. But he did just land 8 triples at Nationals...

Chan is a baby and doesn't have the polish and PCS of the favorites. They are all amazingly and equally talented, so yes, i do think he could potentially be 10th or lower depending on how he and everyone else skates.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I think if Abbott skates like the US national at the Olympics, he will surely medal. Abbott is my favorite male skater by far this season. I just love his simply costumes and music and artistry. He has it all.

I agree, and would even say that the Olympic gold is within his reach if he skates like this in February. Simply sublime, and it would surely be a performance for the ages.

But I hope this doesn't mean that Jeremy has already peaked...

jennylovskt

Medalist
I agree, and would even say that the Olympic gold is within his reach if he skates like this in February. Simply sublime, and it would surely be a performance for the ages.

But I hope this doesn't mean that Jeremy has already peaked...

Even though Jeremy skated great today, I am still not sure if the international judges would give him the edge with the skating like this considering his record of low PCS. I don't mind him on the Olympics podium and bump a couple of world top skaters off and keep Lysacek away from the medals.:biggrin: I think we have to wait and see if he could beat the famous top contenders in the world in PCS.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
OMG Jeremey's skate was the best men's programs I have seen in a long time. Maybe ever. Amazing. words can't describe it. That is what a national championship looks like. Glad Evan went for the quad, but I really am not sure this is gong to work. If he had been trying them since the begining of the season that would be one thing, but trying to add it at this late date... And they were so nice in practice to. I knew he would not land it right away he just kind of threw himself into it so unlike Jeremy's approach.
Johnny was okay. I did not really feel performance after like a minuite into it. He didn't live up to his big talk for me, but I am sure he'll take it.
My heart broke for Ryan Bradley. That LP was such a great moment. 2 lovely quads... And he wanted it SO bad. I would not have minded knocking Johnny off the team for him, but I guess that would not really be fair. Sad. We need 4 spots.
Armin could not hold on, but nobody really expected him to. He needs to work on his conditioning and I hope he goes to junior worlds.
Adam was okay, he looked pretty terrified out there hardly any performance but those lutzes were pretty amazing. Don't love the chreography but maybe just because he did not sell it.

Bottom line, great event. I thought it was fair and I called the top three in order.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree about Johnny/Ryan - Tiny... wow... this is one time I wouldn't mind having an extra spot for our wonderful crop of guys

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Amazing performance for Jeremy. Best skate of his life, although I still believe his program from the 08-09 season is better artistically.

I would be very glad if Lambiel, Takahashi, and Abbott were our Olympic podium.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Amazing performance for Jeremy. Best skate of his life, although I still believe his program from the 08-09 season is better artistically.

I would be very glad if Lambiel, Takahashi, and Abbott were our Olympic podium.

I will have to disagree respectfully with you here. I actually adore this program. I just think it fits him and the jumps just show up like they're supposed to. There was several times where he would just float..and suddenly BAM! a triple!

What's everyone's thought on the blue shirt? I know some of you like the tux, but I actually really like this shirt -- I just love that bright blue color.

jennylovskt

Medalist
What's everyone's thought on the blue shirt? I know some of you like the tux, but I actually really like this shirt -- I just love that bright blue color.

I am among the people who like the tux. This blue shirt is too blue.

Oh, well, if it could bring him the luck, then keep it.:biggrin:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Jeremy's LP is probably the best I've ever seen. Even better than the last 2 Olympics LPs by the 2 Russians. :bow:
Ryan Bradley said he'd go for 3 quads to the NYTimes and he did it. :bow:

These two are so exciting to watch. I wish they send Weir to the Olympics and Ryan to Worlds. Let Ryan repeat that feat at Worlds, and maybe medal before he retire. :love:

Jemy

Rinkside
Actually re-watching Johnny's FS a couple of times I think it's so much better than my first impression (I felt like my heart was going to explode and I could hardly breathe the first time I watched it). Now I can see his performance clearly because I have my heart free of my gut. His final straightline footwork sequence was crazy good and vastly improved, probably Johnny's best ever, close to Takahashi's level. He had so much speed and beautiful choreography jammed packed into that final part of the program. Also his spins were excellent. If he hadn't stupidly singled that 3A, and the step out on his 3-3 combo was his only mistake I think everyone would be singing a different tune about his FS. His performance level and speed were superb. I know I'm biased but Johnny also had the best SP IMO. That rendition of "I Love You I Hate You" was one of the his best performances of his career, can't say the same for Lysacek's SP, and I just don't like the music of Jeremy's SP (butchered Beatles, no build up in the music). Evan's FS was terrible in every way. Stiff, lethargic, uninspired, his choreo and footwork was worse than ever, the spins were okay and so were the jumps, but the fall on the quad was a huge miss. I'd say Lysacek and Weir were pretty even mistakes wise for the LP, but Weir's was a superior performance, and of course Abbott outskated everyone by a mile in the FS. I honestly would have given Johnny the silver just based on his spectacular SP (I would have given him an 88.00), and he probably would have gotten the silver if only he had the clean FS he was more than capable of (landing beautiful quads and 3As all week in practice). The nerves got to him (there was so much riding on Nationals) and if he works hard over the next month he'll peak in Vancouver. :clap:

futureidol, I agree with every word. Johnny, of course, was to receive silver through better implementation of the short program. His SP was brilliant. And FS - two mistakes, which I'm sure he can fix in Vancouver.
:love:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
These two are so exciting to watch. I wish they send Weir to the Olympics and Ryan to Worlds. Let Ryan repeat that feat at Worlds, and maybe medal before he retire. :love:

I really hope Ryan continues training... who knows he might get the call to go to Vancouver (injuries happen, as do illnesses... Johnny and Evan are both cursed with those problems all the time) or to Worlds (I don't expect Evan or Johnny to go - especially if either medals at the olys)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
futureidol, I agree with every word. Johnny, of course, was to receive silver through better implementation of the short program. His SP was brilliant. And FS - two mistakes, which I'm sure he can fix in Vancouver.
:love:

I really did like Johnny's program despite the mistakes. I think Weir has matured in the last year, especially with his failure of not making World's last year. I just sense a certain stability that I haven't seen from him in past years. Yes this performance wasn't his best (fifth in FS). But he didn't just give up. And I think he knows how close of a call it was. His reaction once the score went up was clearly relief and I got the sense that he was thinking, "OK I'm in the top 3, now I have to go and make it better."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/18/sports/olympics/19longman.html
Interesting story from the NYT about Johnny's struggle to balance artistry and competition. Scott Hamilton is quoted at the end of the story about how Johnny has showned a dedication he hasn't seen from Johnny in the past.

schiele

Final Flight
I just watched Abbott's LP.. I have been iffy about this progamme since the beginning of this season but I think it's cos I've never seen him skate to its real potential..until now.. This was sensational! The effortless flow he had throughout the programme with a quad in the beginning, even the exit from the jumps like that 2A in the middle was crazy.. If he was to skate like this in a month, he should take the OGM... Now I'm gonna check out Bradley but my heart is already breaking at the thought of him missing out..
Btw, I liked Abbott's blue shirt more than any other costume he had for this LP. It's good that it's more flashy cos the programme is not so it provides a very nice contradiction.

Jemy

Rinkside
I really did like Johnny's program despite the mistakes. I think Weir has matured in the last year, especially with his failure of not making World's last year. I just sense a certain stability that I haven't seen from him in past years. Yes this performance wasn't his best (fifth in FS). But he didn't just give up. And I think he knows how close of a call it was. His reaction once the score went up was clearly relief and I got the sense that he was thinking, "OK I'm in the top 3, now I have to go and make it better."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/18/sports/olympics/19longman.html
Interesting story from the NYT about Johnny's struggle to balance artistry and competition. Scott Hamilton is quoted at the end of the story about how Johnny has showned a dedication he hasn't seen from Johnny in the past.

I also thought that it was such a reaction from him! :clap:

Mrs. P, Thanks for the link! very interesting story!