Senior Mens LP | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Senior Mens LP

jennylovskt

Medalist
Johnny's costume was as ugly as his last year's LP costume.

Evan's costume was fine with me without the shoulder things.

Jeremy's costume was classic, but the color was too blue.

Adam and Amin's costumes, the tops were fine. If the bottom were like bootcuts, it would make the person taller and the legs more straight. I never liked men's pants too tight at the ankles.

Bradley's costume was fine.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you know the only program I have any urge to see again is Bradley's... that's a total first.

Final Flight
i don't understand people who think evan's costume is ....not great.

people mock it, comparing it to star trek and etc...

look at johnny....:chorus:

viv

On the Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyRV5_aXDtg

:love::love::love::love:

He doubled the axel, but put in one more triple to compensate for that double axel. I saw his score, the 2A got huge GOE. Perhaps it was intentional since a good triple + a double A with GOE = a 3A. ....

Thank you, FlattFan, for giving the link. I've always loved Ryans skating because he is so different and funny, but I am from Europe, and there's not much opportunity to see him here. I really hope he will be at Worlds. :)

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
i don't understand people who think evan's costume is ....not great.

people mock it, comparing it to star trek and etc...

look at johnny....:chorus:

Because we expect Johnny to show up in pipe cleaners and tassels. But Evan, we expect to dress in something more conservative. Maybe he was jealous that Johnny's outfits always garner the most attention. He went all Romulan on him. If that's the case, I've gotta give Evan +1.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Because we expect Johnny to show up in pipe cleaners and tassels. But Evan, we expect to dress in something more conservative. Maybe he was jealous that Johnny's outfits always garner the most attention. He went all Romulan on him. If that's the case, I've gotta give Evan +1.

:laugh: :laugh:

I thought Evan's "Trekkie" styled costume was an improvement over his previous black LP costume. I sort of liked it and think it goes better with his tan :p
He needs to do something about that Romulan helmet hair though :yes:

If Johnny wants to look pretty he should go see Alissa's designer. I think she is always beautifully dressed and Johnny appears clueless when it comes to good taste in fashion.

I think Johnny concentrates much too much on his jumps, which are limited, and it takes away from his performance which really is his forte.

Since he has not upped his tech in years, the PC scores are a must. I remember when his 3A was a beautiful move in his performance, and now it is a hit-or-miss trick.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think Johnny concentrates much too much on his jumps, which are limited, and it takes away from his performance which really is his forte.

Since he has not upped his tech in years, the PC scores are a must. I remember when his 3A was a beautiful move in his performance, and now it is a hit-or-miss trick.

Johnny finished 5th in the LP at Natls.
That LP might not be good enough for even a top ten finish in Vancouver.

Ryan landed two quads and with two clean skates he has the potential to outscore Weir.

Where is the committee ? ;)

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Johnny finished 5th in the LP at Natls.
That LP might not be good enough for even a top ten finish in Vancouver.

Ryan landed two quads and with two clean skates he has the potential to outscore Weir.

Where is the committee ? ;)

But I don't think the international judges like Bradley's style that much. Besides his speed was very slow even though he finished the movement decently. I think this program would be a great show program though. I have to admit that I like it.

For some reason, I think, it's hard for Johnny to slip off the top 10. He might, but somehow, he has been helped by other skaters for many times.

janetfan

Match Penalty
But I don't think the international judges like Bradley's style that much. Besides his speed was very slow even though he finished the movement decently. I think this program would be a great show program though. I have to admit that I like it.

For some reason, I think, it's hard for Johnny to slip off the top 10. He might, but somehow, he has been helped by other skaters for many times.

I was not being so serious and Johnny won his spot on the USA team fair and square.

It just proves my point that there is MORE to skating than the quad.
Ryan landed a quad in his SP and two in his LP and still finished fourth - behind a skater who had no quad and only one 3A :eek:

I like Johnny's SP this year but his LP seems to be lacking something.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I was not being so serious and Johnny won his spot on the USA team fair and square.

You've been so humble lately which has made me feel bad.:laugh: No, I have found something we had in common. We both like Jeremy Abbott's skating very much, and hate Johnny Weir's costume.:biggrin:

It just proves my point that there is MORE to skating than the quad.
Ryan landed a quad in his SP and two in his LP and still finished fourth - behind a skater who had no quad and only one 3A :eek:

I have never thought that quad alone could be good enough for anything. Otherwise, I would argue that Timothy Geobel should be the OGM in 2002 instead of Alexei Yagudin.

No, quad is not everything. But no quad is not acceptable, at least as a gold medalist, in my book.:yes:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
You've been so humble lately which has made me feel bad.:laugh: No, I have found something we had in common. We both like Jeremy Abbott's skating very much, and hate Johnny Weir's costume.:biggrin:

I have never thought that quad alone could be good enough for anything. Otherwise, I would argue that Timothy Geobel should be the OGM in 2002 instead of Alexei Yagudin.

No, quad is not everything. But no quad is not acceptable as a gold medalist in my book.:yes:

Too much agreement between us is no fun :biggrin:
So let us consider this possibilty.

What if Evan lands a quad in Vancouver (and the others mess up) and he wins the OGM. Is that acceptable to you :laugh:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Too much agreement between us is no fun :biggrin:
So let us consider this possibilty.

What if Evan lands a quad in Vancouver (and the others mess up) and he wins the OGM. Is that acceptable to you :laugh:

:laugh:Oh, God! Please, please! I am not against him doing a clean quad. But I hope what you said would never happen!!!:bow::bow::bow::biggrin:

That's the thorn in my eyes, and you knew it. I almost regreted that I have waked up the beast side of you.:biggrin:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
:laugh:Oh, God! Please, please! I am not against him doing a clean quad. But I hope what you said would never happen!!!:bow::bow::bow::biggrin:

That's the thorn in my eyes, and you knew it. I almost regreted that I have waked up the beast side of you.:biggrin:

I am a Jeremy fan - and hope he can skate his best in Vancouver and maybe win a medal.

I will be fine with whoever wins. I think Joubert will win if he skates his best - but would not be surprised to see Evan beat him again because his new StarTrek costume is so great :rock: :laugh:

soogar

Record Breaker
I haven't really watched much skating in the past few years but I was shocked to see how much Johnny's skating had regressed over the years. I don't like the David Wilson choreography either. It's boring and very depressing. While I didn't like the stuff Tat had done for Johnny, I prefer those programs because they had more spark. I did like the stuff Marina Annisina had done for him.

I was pretty impressed with Evan. He looks as if he is heading in the right direction for the Olympics and his physique was impressive. He's in the best shape of his life and the costume looked pretty good as well- just needs to lose those "sleeves".

Jeremy Abbott- he reminds me of Todd Eldredge though he lacks Todd's "excitement"- if such a thing can be said. He had a really good performance but doesn't deliver it with any kind of intensity.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
yeah Ryan's 3A went out the window, too, though.

. . . and the 3Lutz in the SP. He's got to still be kicking himself for doubling that jump.

Jeremy Abbott- he reminds me of Todd Eldredge though he lacks Todd's "excitement"- if such a thing can be said. He had a really good performance but doesn't deliver it with any kind of intensity.

um, WHAT?! :eek: Todd was "exciting"? A great, solid skater, yes, but I never found him exciting. Intense, yes; exciting, not so much, IMO. His programs were all pretty much the same in mood and tempo and how many times did he rehash that 1492 program?, OH MY GOSH! It was maddening, like Joubert's Matrix. :banging:

On the contrary, I do find Jeremy exciting because his programs are so difficult, both technically and choreographically and he is so musical and versatile in his music choices. A true artist! :love:

We all have our different opinions, though. :):p

Last edited by a moderator:

jennylovskt

Medalist
I did like the stuff Marina Annisina had done for him.

It's so hard to find someone who agrees with me on this. I liked Annisina's choreography very much, especially the LP. I blamed Johnny's lack of discipline so both programs had never skated up to their potential. Maybe Annisina could be a choreographer for other skaters, say maybe Chan.:love:

soogar

Record Breaker
It's so hard to find someone who agrees with me on this. I liked Annisina's choreography very much, especially the LP. I blamed Johnny's lack of discipline so both programs had never skated up to their potential. Maybe Annisina could be a choreographer for other skaters, say maybe Chan.:love:

He took a huge step backwards when he listened to the criticism and dropped her as a choreographer. I think he should have stuck to his guns and kept working with her because I think he would have grown as a skater had he done so. Shuffling back and forth between "tried and true" choreographers has stifled his development (IMO). Going to David Wilson was a mistake. David's best programs are for skaters he had been working with for years. It takes years of collaboration to understand a skater's ability. I didn't like the program he had done for Rippon either. Of course the stuff he did with Joannie and Jeff was excellent but he had years with both skaters.

It's also strange for me to see Johnny struggling with his jumps. They were so easy for him a few years ago. He's a shell of his former self.

um, WHAT?! :eek: Todd was "exciting"? A great, solid skater, yes, but I never found him exciting. Intense, yes; exciting, not so much, IMO. His programs were all pretty much the same in mood and tempo and how many times did he rehash that 1492 program?, OH MY GOSH! It was maddening, like Joubert's Matrix. :banging:

On the contrary, I do find Jeremy exciting because his programs are so difficult, both technically and choreographically and he is so musical and versatile in his music choices. A true artist! :love:

We all have our different opinions, though. :):p

That's why I put "excitement" in quotes. I don't think Todd is exciting but he was much more intense and competitive than Jeremy.

Last edited by a moderator:

jennylovskt

Medalist
He took a huge step backwards when he listened to the criticism and dropped her as a choreographer. I think he should have stuck to his guns and kept working with her because I think he would have grown as a skater had he done so. Shuffling back and forth between "tried and true" choreographers has stifled his development (IMO). Going to David Wilson was a mistake. David's best programs are for skaters he had been working with for years. It takes years of collaboration to understand a skater's ability. I didn't like the program he had done for Rippon either. Of course the stuff he did with Joannie and Jeff was excellent but he had years with both skaters.

It's also strange for me to see Johnny struggling with his jumps. They were so easy for him a few years ago. He's a shell of his former self.

The year that Johnny worked with Annisina was the last year which I truly believed in my heart that he might be able to have a break through. He wasn't totally focusing on his skating in that year, so it didn't happen. After that year, all I have seen was his struggle to survive, year after year, this season, there is no exception.