Skating Music - Editing Programs | Golden Skate

Skating Music - Editing Programs

turino

Rinkside
I know that a lot of skaters use professional music editors to fine tune their programs, but does anybody know good programs to cut / edit their own programs or music?

I'm looking to edit a program without spending $$$ if possible - but know I will need to use fades, mixes, etc. Any recommendations / suggestions would be appreciated. Also, please throw in cost / where to get them if you remember.

Moditors - Please move this to the appropriate forum section as necessary!

N

n_halifax

I know that a lot of skaters use professional music editors to fine tune their programs, but does anybody know good programs to cut / edit their own programs or music?

I'm looking to edit a program without spending $$$ if possible - but know I will need to use fades, mixes, etc. Any recommendations / suggestions would be appreciated. Also, please throw in cost / where to get them if you remember.

I feel so old right now. ;) I used to be a pro at editing my own music using a dual cassette player. Actually, even back in 2001? at my last competition they were still using cassettes.

schiele

Final Flight

It's not the best obviously but I use MEF music editor cos it's free and it has some good features. I recommend you'd give it a try:
http://www.music-editor.net/

icedancingnut31

On the Ice
I cut my own music and use a program called audacity and have had a lot of success. You can download it here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
I can fade in and fade out sections, fool around with the tempo and volume very easily with it (I am horrible with computers). It is a very good program and it's free. It is not necessary to download the advanced version because the standard version will do the trick. I hope this helps. If you ever need me to cut music just message me.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I have a program called Garage Band that comes with my macbook that cuts music really well. Yeah, just let me know if you want me to cut anything for you!

just wondering

On the Ice
I second the use of Audacity. Easy to use and free to download. Editing music is really quite fun. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it rather quickly. Let us know how it turns out for you.

turino

Rinkside
Thank you all for your advice. I think I will give Audacity a try and see how it works. It's been a while since I've cut music, so my skills are sure to be rusty.

The real challenge will be to cut my music (Henry V) down to a suitable 3:40min program from its original 14min or so length. Wish me luck - I'm sure it'll be rough!

PS - I might also check out Garage Band on my friend's Mac. I'm not a Mac user and it's new for him, so that should be interesting as well! ha

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Another vote for Audacity here. I cut two pieces of music together this year (with some cuts in between) and they sound like they belong together.

turino

Rinkside
Has anyone encountered an issue when trying to play files in Audacity? I'm trying to open and edit a file that's currently in WMA format. When I import my WMA file and press play, it's a short (less than one second) blip - no real audible sound. Any advice?

This may be harder than I originally thought....hmm.

just wondering

On the Ice
Here is a "how-to" explaining how to convert .wma to .mp3, which is the format you need for editing. http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Lame_Installation (I use a different converter, but that's because I was already had it and was familiar with it. Any converter will work.) My understanding is that the beta makes this process much easier, but I'm not really techie and don't need the extras, so I thought I would stick with the "stable" version, as they call it. :)

To find the precise directions, go to the section titled, "Simple Instructions." Audacity's wiki is a great resource; click Home on the left side of their page to see an index. I took a quick look, and it seems they've put some new topics up since I last looked. I may have to poke around there, too, later today.

Good news is that once this part is finished, the editing is fairly straight forward.

bibi24

Final Flight
I feel so old right now. ;) I used to be a pro at editing my own music using a dual cassette player. Actually, even back in 2001? at my last competition they were still using cassettes.

me too.... what do they use at competitions nowadays?

CD's? MP3's?

N

n_halifax

me too.... what do they use at competitions nowadays?

CD's? MP3's?

I would assume CDs but I know as late as 2001 (the last competition I did) tapes were still the norm (here at least).

turino

Rinkside
I must be lame, as I can't seem to figure out how to use the 'lame' decoder to enable my .wma files to be editable. Hmmm....

mskater93

Record Breaker
I would assume CDs but I know as late as 2001 (the last competition I did) tapes were still the norm (here at least).

CDs are the norm and I will be using Icetrax for the first time at a competition. Everyone's having issues loading Icetrax for this comp so far, though