Thoughts on U.S. Nationals judging? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on U.S. Nationals judging?

gold12345

Medalist
I am still scratching my head when I look at the protocol sheets and see a -2 GOE for a fall (when it's obviously supposed to receive an automatic -3), or a +3 for an element that had no business getting that score... Ugh. This sometimes happens worldwide as well.

If the U.S. insists on continuing to pick it's Olympic teams based on one competition, in which skaters are sometimes separated by tenths of a point, I really wish we could at least make sure that skaters who fall actually receive the automatic -3 GOE from every judge.

so_proud

Rinkside
With all this chatter about score inflation, I've been pleasantly surprised that we didn't see that at this Nationals.

Jeremy Abbott certainly got a really high score, but I would expect so after he did 8 triples and a quad. Patrick Chan didn't do nearly that much technically and he got a similar score for his FS.

And it looks like PCS has only been a minor factor here. I think Lysacek and Weir got some reputation PCS during the FS, but it's not much higher than what Ryan Bradley or Adam Rippon got.

Any thoughts on why the U.S. judges aren't inflating scores so far?

In terms of the top US male skaters, I agree that the inflation was minimal, which was very impressive after comparing with the other nationals (e.g., Canadian, Russian, Japan, all around the world in this Olympic season).

Well...but for the lady's SP, I think the top 4's scores were inflated. No edge call for the obvious case (i.e., Sasha's Flutz), generous GOE and levels on the other elements, and relatively high PCS. Let me see in LP. Who know there would be a US lady receiving over 200 ;)

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think that Sasha's 3l-2t should have received "e" or at least "!" and also deducted for the shaky landing that looked like being URed, too. That combo should have gotten minus GOE.

oleada

Record Breaker
Wagner's another one who didn't get an edge call and we all know her flutz is as big as Sasha's.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
this must be why I see -2.00 GOE's on a fallen jump, when I thought I should be seeing -3.00

If you fall but do it with style, can you make up a bit on that -3.00? :laugh:

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Wagner's another one who didn't get an edge call and we all know her flutz is as big as Sasha's.

Interesting. Mirai got an attention mark. She did flutz there. But it is not that they were judged differently because of her reputation for being a flutzer any more than Sasha and Wagner are. Mirai does not always flutz. She has corrected her edge last or two seasons ago and and often gets away with the call.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting. Mirai got an attention mark. She did flutz there. But it is not that they were judged differently because of her reputation for being a flutzer any more than Sasha and Wagner are. Mirai does not always flutz. She has corrected her edge last or two seasons ago and and often gets away with the call.

oh? Hmm :scratch:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Yes, how interesting that the GP Finalist and the USA's "star" got away with a flutz without an edge call. USFSA dirty politics at play again, no doubt. :rolleye::disapp:

Last edited:
If you fall but do it with style, can you make up a bit on that -3.00? :laugh:

Actually, that makes a certain amount of sense, if you think about it. If you have a proper take-off edge from connecting steps, exceptional height, good air position and complete rotation, but then can't quite hold the landing -- well, that's not as bad as being crummy in all those other areas before the splat. :)

Ashley Wagner got one -2 in the short program (along with eight -3;s) for her fall on the Lutz. Scott Hamilton commented that the reason she fell was that her jump was too high. When she reached down for the ice after the rotations, it wasn't there. Ashley confirmed this in her interview, saying hat the adnenaline was pumping a little too much on that element.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner got one -2 in the short program (along with eight -3;s) for her fall on the Lutz. Scott Hamilton commented that the reason she fell was that her jump was too high. When she reached down for the ice after the rotations, it wasn't there. Ashley confirmed this in her interview, saying hat the adnenaline was pumping a little too much on that element.

Aw shucks, with just a little more adrenaline and some quick thinking, she could have turned this into a quad lutz.....or a quad flutz! That would have had some jaws dropping. :laugh: I don't even know what a quad flutz would be worth in points.

aurora100

Final Flight
Impressed with US judging

Speaking as a Canadian fan.. Loved the US Nationals in all events. All the athletes were great and those who came prepared were properly rewarded. Good on you US of A. This from a ardent Canadian figure skating fan.:clap: