"Asian figure skaters good but Russians are coming" | Page 3 | Golden Skate

"Asian figure skaters good but Russians are coming"

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yeah, all of Morosov's talk really seems premature. We just don't know what will happen when they hit puberty. But Tuktamysheva's lucky to have Mishin teach her the best technique. I was actually thinking Mao should go study with Mishin. But I doubt that'd happen because it would a huge slap in the face to TAT.

All true, but for some skaters puberty doesn't really seem to be an issue, like Mao and Yuna. Mao has problems do doubt, but considering those issues have mostly just started now, I don't think they are growth-related. As long as these girls don't get too tall or too heavy it shouldn't be too much of a problem (although Caroline and Mirai certainly seem to be having "growing pains" nonetheless). In a couple years we will have a better idea, sometimes the kid that is best at 13 doesn't always stay the best. Mao was better than Yuna from 13-15, then again from 16-17 but only because Yuna was injured, but then by 18 Yuna was IMPO much better than Mao. Some skaters peak early and others later. In the meantime, we have Leonova and Makarova to be fans of!

miki88

Medalist
Maybe puberty did bother Yuna a little bit, since she got injured twice before competitions. I don't remember ever hearing about Mao getting injuries, which is kinda surprising for a skater. But maybe she doesn't publicize her injuries/illness. One of my Japanese friends bought her fanbook and in it she wrote that she actually got sick right before the 2007 GPF but it was kept as a private matter.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Maybe puberty did bother Yuna a little bit, since she got injured twice before competitions. I don't remember ever hearing about Mao getting injuries, which is kinda surprising for a skater. But maybe she doesn't publicize her injuries/illness. One of my Japanese friends bought her fanbook and in it she wrote that she actually got sick right before the 2007 GPF but it was kept as a private matter.

Leave it to Mao to not be able to admit she's sick. If I had the flu, I'd want everyone to know incase I did bad :laugh:. Yuna's back injury might have been to growing pains, but I think Mao and Yuna are just naturally very thin so it wasn't as big of an obstacle for them as it was for Kimmie, who was really little at the Olympics then got a lot sturdier and more muscular when she was 17 and 18. It all depends, and we'll just wait and see.