Sandra Bezic and Scott Hamilton | Golden Skate

Sandra Bezic and Scott Hamilton

jettasian

Match Penalty
Was watching a little bit of the Men on NBC this afternoon. I'm so glad they are in the US network, not the Canadian's, because I don't think I can stand both of them for so many hours. Boy, are they annoying :rofl:

Wilson and Browning all the way :rock:

Scott is the greatest! :rock: He is so-o-o-o much in the corner of every skater who takes the ice, like he is the coach, mentor ans father of each one, and he so wants them to do well. Each jump is the greatest thing he has ever seen! :rock:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think Scott has ever lost teh joy of skating, and he remembers just how exciting that time in his life was. Why beat down and discourage any skater?

then you have Sandra who has her favorites and the rest shouldn't even bother showing up because they suck and should never put on skates... NBC has two extremes. of the two I will always prefer Scott.

Yes, he shouts, but I don't blame him so much as the audio crew. They've worked with him for four years now, they can lower his volume... but I don't find it annoying

what I do find annoying is Sandra still whining about the judging system picking on every little thing. Does she not remember her nitpicky assessment of B/S's LP in 2002... anything to show just how much her fellow Canucks were robbed (they were robbed, but seriously Sandra playing this game of "I'd never stoop as low as this judging system" is just UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHHH)

I've never liked Sandra's commentary. She's so negative... as are the NBC color commentors (who I think are only there because of the paycheck)

meem

On the Ice
Well, yesterday and today I wasn't screaming "shut up, Scott" as much as I was during previous events...maybe because I've finally realized it's useless as he'll never be a good commentator:sheesh: I've written to NBC (Ebersole) begging them to replace SH at the Olympics (that was after the first GP event when he just about had me screaming myself hoarse). All that screeching, groaning, whooping, growling is so unprofessional and distracting. I wish they'd replace him with Paul Wylie whose delivery is knowledgeable, lowkey, pleasant and doesn't interfere with the performance of the skater(s).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
none of the skaters are supposed to be the "professional" they're there to give their "expert opinion/analysis"

watch some of the other sports coverage, most of the experts DO get excited and whoop and holler...

Nadine

Record Breaker
I've always been a fan of Scott, that hasn't or won't change no matter what, even though I get ticked off with him every once in a while, lol.:biggrin:

It's enough that we have lost Mr. Button commentating, I don't want to lose Scott too. I honestly like to hear him more than Brian Boitano, et al. Besides, Scott has been at it for decades!:thumbsup:

That said, I think he & Sandra Bezic together will always be remembered for the 2002 Olympics in a bad way, leastways for me, sorry to say. :( It's kind of like a bad shadow or cloud. Scott on his own I don't mind, or paired with Verne Lundquist or Tom Hammond, et al. But he & Sandra together kinda bring back bad memories.

Actually, I like Sandra Besic just fine, too. She makes interesting comments on choreography, especially for pairs, that other commentators don't always bother with.

OT, but did anyone watch the Rodeo bull-riding contest that led into Universal Sports' coverage. The commentators really did a good job of explaning what was going on, like one rider fell off because he shifted hid right heel back anticipatibng the that bull would turn to the left, but the bull turned th the right instead (we saw this on slo-motion replay.) The next rider got up close to the bulls right shoulder because he knew that that particular bull could be made to buck up and down instead of in a circle if you were in that position, etc. Very ineteresting.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
at least Scott came back with a cool head later that night and the rest of the competition and apologised for his outbursts, that he was caught in the moment and he took it to far, and that he felt that their commentary, in part, was the reason Elena and Anton were getting a lot of negative things spout out on and about them.

of course, no one's commentary was worse than Rosie O'Donnel's on the pairs competition that year saying she'd wished that Elena's partner's blade had dug in farther so that Elena'd not even been in SLC... I was so disgusted by that comment (as were Sale and Pelletier - they refused to come on her show, and that also ticked her off.)

in comparison, Scott and Sandy come off pretty well in my book... and it's been 8 years, its time to let go.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I really don't have anything against Sandra Bezic either. In fact some of my favorite figure skating quotes are from her. :cool: It's just for me personally having Sandra & Scott *together* commentating brings back bad memories. They kinda egg each other on, no objectivity, leastways that's the way I see it. :)

Also, Sandra's voice gets on my nerves, there's a timbre in there that isn't pleasing to my ear. Lol, if that makes sense.:laugh: Anyhow, I did love hearing her scream "YESSSSSSSSSSS" when Sarah Hughes landed her second 3/3 at the 2002 Olympics!!!!!!!!!!:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I love watching Rodeo events on TV... so much fun...

oh and try watching the Iditarod finish at 2 or 3 in the morning where the commentator (normally an ex musher with no training) is SCREAMING in the mic (he normally makes Scott sound very quiet)... not good for someone sleep deprived LOL

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I love Scott- The commentator I found annoying is Tonia Kwiatkowski on icenetwork! I know she's an intelligent woman, but god awful voice and accent grrrrrrr

I agree with Tonichelle on Bezic. Despite her elegant sounding/ looking voice/presense, her comments on COP was not all that convincing. "The magic (=stnading o) doesen reflect on COP"? Should it? Does it not? How?

Nevertheless it was so nice to see skating treated like it was a major sport, live, Scott & Sandra and on a major channel (although I saw it on TVU hehe). Watching skating like a geek on icenetwork/ youtube/ russian web TV/ etc. is cool, but there's something about a telecast like this that makes the whole event whole lot more exciting!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Tonia just needs to learn how not to over talk. Give a brief reason why the skater missed the element... then, when it's time for the replay if you feel the need to drone on about whatever it was, do it... she normally misses three elements for every explanation she gives.

She's new, she'll learn.

Final Flight
who's the canadian commentator who only speaks good of canadian skaters and uses the tacky phrase "second to none" all the time?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
on US TV? the only canadian commentators we've had in the last decade or so, that I know of, are Tracy Wilson, Sandra Besic, and Kurt Browning

eta - oh and Sale, and Pelletier but they are just there because they're S/P not because they actually get to say much

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
who's the canadian commentator who only speaks good of canadian skaters and uses the tacky phrase "second to none" all the time?

I ASSUME it's Kurt Browning? He does say lots of tacky phrases IMO.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he's not biased towards Canadian skaters, though, he's into entertaining skaters (he really likes Ryan Bradley, for instance)

it sounds, somewhat, like Sandra, but I don't remember that being one of her catch phrases

jettasian

Match Penalty
It could be PJ Kwong?

I like Tracy Wilson the best....she has lots of insights and never take sides (I sometimes wish she does, lol). I really like the way she said about why Crone/Piorier got higher marks than Weaver/Poje despite the big mistake.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Tracy DOES take sides... holy cow... she was borderline cold in 2006 when commentating Ice Dance and it came to Melissa and Denis... (though most of NBC was like that)