Abbott destroys competition, heads to Vancouver | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Abbott destroys competition, heads to Vancouver

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Really? And you are so sure of this..how? Were you on the panel? We'll see Jeremy's marks when he arrives in Vancouver. To me, his performance was completely deserving of these marks. Honestly, why are you so sour? Between your comments here on Abbott and your comments about Dube/Davison on the Canadian thread, you come off as a real downer.

Why are you trying to make this personal ? Instead, do try to stick to the objective and salient facts. Those can't be refuted just by accusing another poster of being sour. Of course, such sourness is exhibited in far greater quantity in ad hominem attacks than in someone's distaste for instrumental Barbra Streisand tracks.

And the facts are, Abbott was the last skater to skate in a night of disastrous skating. The nationals before Olympics is known for inflated marks. Put those together, and really, Abbott's PCS aren't all that remarkable.

Nan

Rinkside
Jeremy Abbott was brilliant! His jumps, spins and artistry all combined with a superb beautiful flowing program, big, big kudos to him!! I loved his black pants and blue shirt, very classy and elegant! He deserved every mark he received and then some. This is one program I will always remember.

One of the hardest things to do is to defend your national title and being the last skater puts more pressure on you so Jeremy handled it great. I don't see where it was a night of disastrous skating.

Last edited:

skatemom1122

Final Flight
Why are you trying to make this personal ? Instead, do try to stick to the objective and salient facts. Those can't be refuted just by accusing another poster of being sour. Of course, such sourness is exhibited in far greater quantity in ad hominem attacks than in someone's distaste for instrumental Barbra Streisand tracks.

And the facts are, Abbott was the last skater to skate in a night of disastrous skating. The nationals before Olympics is known for inflated marks. Put those together, and really, Abbott's PCS aren't all that remarkable.
See....that's my point. Was the skating all that disastrous? Yes..Evan and Johnny had a few mistakes, but I wouldn't call it a disastrous. What about Ryan Bradley..his skate was phenomenal and contained 2 quads!

Tesla

Final Flight
I thought Jeremy Abbot's program was extraoridinary and received well-deserved high marks. I didn't think the skating was at all disastrous. Both Ryan Bradley and Jeremy Abbot delivered incredible performances. I think if Jeremy can repeat those performances in Vancouver, he has a real shot at the podium.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
See....that's my point. Was the skating all that disastrous? Yes..Evan and Johnny had a few mistakes, but I wouldn't call it a disastrous. What about Ryan Bradley..his skate was phenomenal and contained 2 quads!

Unless they were all skating in tribute to Laurel and Hardy, with all the stumbling and falling, they were doing it wrong. As for Bradley, sure he had those two wonky quads, but his skating was slow like poke and made every simple glide (the only kind he's capable of) look like an uphill battle. After all that, of course the judges are going to loosen up on marking Abbott.

I hope that unlike some of his fans, Abbott doesn't think he's somehow achieved the apex of skating and has nothing to improve on, because there's plenty. And he probably has to think of it that way to have a chance at winning the Olympics.

skatemom1122

Final Flight
Unless they were all skating in tribute to Laurel and Hardy, with all the stumbling and falling, they were doing it wrong. As for Bradley, sure he had those two wonky quads, but his skating was slow like poke and made every simple glide (the only kind he's capable of) look like an uphill battle. After all that, of course the judges are going to loosen up on marking Abbott.

I hope that unlike some of his fans, Abbott doesn't think he's somehow achieved the apex of skating and has nothing to improve on, because there's plenty. And he probably has to think of it that way to have a chance at winning the Olympics.

Alright...let's agree to disagree. Obviously I could never win an argument against someone so negative and arrogant. Calling two quads in a program "wonky" is beyond me. It is an extraordinary achievement, which he has done twice this year. He was 3/3 in quads at the US Champs.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
For me, Jeremey did it all perfect. The spins, the jumps the transitions, the chreography, the music. Okay the shirt could go, but wow. I was jumping up and down as he went into he final spin. I missed that. That is what skating needed. Finally both the gold medalist in Mens and Pairs won with two perfect programs. Denney and Barrett skated perfect for them, Abbott was perfect period.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's the nationals before the Olympics, the last man skating after an evening of splats, and with a level of concentration bordering on constipation, he manages to stay upright. Those judges were ready and primed to throw high marks at anything that doesn't make them want to vomit at what US men's figure skating has become. Let's not pretend those marks are remotely objective.

Well that means then Abbott has room to skate even better in Vancouver!

And I think men's figure skating is not going down the tubes by any means. I think there's some solid up-and-comers and whose not say that the big three isn't going to stick around even after the Olympics? Weir probably won't but I think Abbott would.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

No, that is your opinion. I think there are several people on this board and several others outside of it (such as much of the Spokane Arena audience) that do not share or agree with your opinion.

No not everyone was perfect. Yes there was a couple of mistakes. But I don't quite agree that we can conclude that it was disaster. I've seen much, much worse.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

Abbott is not my favorite but he had the skate of the night-by far. He deserved those marks imo. Lysacek and Weir ARE my favorites but something was missing-Lysacek's jumps seemed forced after he missed the quad (that took guts to try)-he looked like he was trying hard out there and it showed whereas Jeremy was on fire. Johnny held it together in the LP and he was fortunate his SP gave him a cushion over Bradley-Weir actually ended up in 5th in the LP. Jeremy's shirt was too pedestrian for me, too plain. I'm not the biggest fan of his choreo but he brought it-no question.

Nevertheless-good job by all three guys and I hope all three of them and their competitors BRING IT at Vancouver. I want to see a real battle out there for the top three spots. I DON'T want to see a repeat of 2006 where Plushenko had an insurmountable lead from the SP. The men's LP that night was the most disappointing in memory to me.

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

You apparently saw something in the men's FS competition that many of us didn't. So I have two questions for you:
1) Since you think Abbott's score, or at least the PCS part, was inflated, how would you have scored him, based on what you saw? What was this free skate worth, fairly and minus inflation factor?

2) More generally, do you think the final placements ended up incorrectly based on your viewing--let's say of the top 5 men?

enlight78

Medalist
Joesitz I think you are overestimating the competition; not that many skaters gonna skate clean with the olympic pressure; if Abbot has identical performance he will definitly medal and if he put in a second 3A or a quad in the short program; i would give him the gold;

jennylovskt

Medalist
I love Jeremy's skating very much!:love::love::love: His this time's performance could go down to my all time favorite list.

His performance to me is all tense and comes from the inside, pouring out yet reserved. It's great! I love it! But if you think about how to improve his PCS in the future skating, I think he could use more attack and, in someplaces, faster movements. If he adds some fast and furious movements, with a little more consistency, I have no doubt that he could be the world's 1# some day.:rock: