Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 98

Thread: LAST MINUTE Thoughts on Ladies

  1. #16
    Custom Title Pikachuusb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    450
    I know some people aren't excited about ladies, but I just got chills reading all the speculating in this thread. Granted it will take a miracle for an Olympic podium finish..the closeness of the level makes it very exciting for me.

    There are 3 that I really want to go to the Olympics, even though there are only 2 spots, so I'm torn. I've been a fan of Sasha's for years so I'm hoping she is close to where she was before BUT you never know. She should kick out a great SP, so I'm hoping she keeps it together for the long.

    I'm also a huge fan of Mirai. She has soo much talent & I hope she has faith in herself. I'm also hoping the URs don't get her. I miss seeing her at the rink since I moved to Vegas. She is a great skater & such a sweet person, I wish nothing but the best for her.

    I'm a fan of Alissa as well, but you never know what you are going to get. I've been heartbroken for her soo many times. Knowing that this is probably her last shot at the Olympics, I'd really like for her to get the experience & who knows she may have a "Paul Wylie moment" while she's there.

    I've been a fan of Caroline's for awhile, but this year she has been steadily sliding. I hope she can regroup & work on her problems so she can come back strong next year. As I think she really won't have a chance fir this year. But there's always Sochi.

    I wish Bebe had lived up to her potential that she had shown soo many years ago. I really like her and hope for mistake free programs for her.

    Although I'm not a fan of her skating, Rachel is really consistant & probably has one of the best chances to make the Olympic team. I just wish she was as exciting as she is consistant & smart.

    Ashley is another that has a good chance to go if she doesn't get dinged for her URs. I think going to the GPF is giving her momentum heading into Nationals.

    Ooh I have to run, my plane is here

  2. #17
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989
    I agree with pretty much eveything that has been said. If Sasha and Alissa skate clean in the SP they will be the top two unless maybe Racheal lands the 3/3 in the short, which I don't even know if she is planning. I really have no idea what will happen, but I hope everyone skates welll and is judged fairly and may the best woman win!

    As for being excited I am SO Excited. Sure maybe they don't have the chances of medaling in Vancouver as the men, but the competition is wide open. Nothing better than that!

  3. #18
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,078
    I think Rachael will rock and roll through both stages of the competition to a clear first place. Second...dunno.

  4. #19
    Custom Title LeCygne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    607
    The short will tell all. I would be very surprised if whoever goes 1-2 on Thursday do not end up 1-2 overall and on the Olympic team. Barring extreme meltdowns of course. It's just like the men, Jeremy-Evan-Johnny after the short and overall.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I agree with pretty much eveything that has been said. If Sasha and Alissa skate clean in the SP they will be the top two unless maybe Racheal lands the 3/3 in the short, which I don't even know if she is planning. I really have no idea what will happen, but I hope everyone skates welll and is judged fairly and may the best woman win!

    As for being excited I am SO Excited. Sure maybe they don't have the chances of medaling in Vancouver as the men, but the competition is wide open. Nothing better than that!
    I think Rachael always plans to do 3f-3t in the SP and LP. The only way she won't go for it in the SP I think is if she skates toward the end and all the contenders messed up. She needs the 3-3 to stay up in the SP scores if the other girls are clean.

    I think Christina Gao will do what Adam Rippon did, and the commentators will be like WATCH OUT 2014, even though she (and Adam too) are clearly good enough to compete at the Olympics now, but the judges just won't let that happen, barring some meltdown of the top 5 ladies. I want Angela to skate well too and NOT get cheated out of good scores like last year.

    We shall see. I think Mirai and Alissa are up to something and might surprise us

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I think Rachael always plans to do 3f-3t in the SP and LP. The only way she won't go for it in the SP I think is if she skates toward the end and all the contenders messed up. She needs the 3-3 to stay up in the SP scores if the other girls are clean.

    I think Christina Gao will do what Adam Rippon did, and the commentators will be like WATCH OUT 2014, even though she (and Adam too) are clearly good enough to compete at the Olympics now, but the judges just won't let that happen, barring some meltdown of the top 5 ladies. I want Angela to skate well too and NOT get cheated out of good scores like last year.

    We shall see. I think Mirai and Alissa are up to something and might surprise us
    there is no way xtina gao is good enough now compare to the top 5. Everything about her screams juniorish. She can't even beat kanako.
    Don't worry about the judges keeping her down. Her skating will keep her down.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    beijing
    Posts
    1,910
    Making comparisons between Christina and Adam is a bit spurious right now, other than they share the same coach. Adam is a 2-time World Jr Champion, Gao has yet to be selected to go (might happen this year, though). She's progressing nicely but I don't think is really "there" as a top senior lady yet. IMO she will end up around 7th or 8th at Nationals this year, but that still wouldn't be bad for a debut

    Adam's readiness to compete in the Olympics right now, with a shaky 3A, is also a bit of a stretch. 2014 sounds about right and maybe for Christina too.

  8. #23
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989
    I think that the judges would "have let" Adam place in the top three if he had deserved it, but facts are he did not skate well enough. I can't realy see Gao skating past the more mature ladies either. I have seen her land the jumps, and she has good basics, but still very juniorish, as she should be.

  9. #24
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I think that the judges would "have let" Adam place in the top three if he had deserved it, but facts are he did not skate well enough. I can't realy see Gao skating past the more mature ladies either. I have seen her land the jumps, and she has good basics, but still very juniorish, as she should be.
    I have to agree. Adam was marked fairly and is just not as good as the four guys who finished ahead of him. To tell you the truth I was a little disappointed in his programs and hope Wilson does a better job on his choreo/music for next season.

    Christina is coming along and I wouldn't be surprised if she did well at Natls. But I don't see how she will beat out all of the older girls. She needs another year and maybe two to come into her own.

    I have great hopes for Adam and Christina but it is not the US judges holding them back. That is just not realistic as US Skating hopes they get better and has no reason to discourage them or hold them back.

  10. #25
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    there is no way xtina gao is good enough now compare to the top 5. Everything about her screams juniorish. She can't even beat kanako.
    Don't worry about the judges keeping her down. Her skating will keep her down.
    I think a lot of the US girls would have trouble beating Murakami. I can see Christine placing ahead of some of the US girls if they get underrotations, to be quite frank. ahem Mirai, Alissa. I'm looking at you. But enough to go to the Olympics, No?.

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I think a lot of the US girls would have trouble beating Murakami. I can see Christine placing ahead of some of the US girls if they get underrotations, to be quite frank. ahem Mirai, Alissa. I'm looking at you. But enough to go to the Olympics, No?.
    That's all I am saying. With the current state of the US ladies, I'm only confident that Rachael is truly ready to handle the Olympics. Christina is still juniorish but technically speaking I think she's better than Caroline, Alissa and even Mirai and Ashley - she jumps more than 2 inches off the ground, doesn't UR, rarely falls, and can do a clean double axel. She probably will be like 6th or 8th or something but if Alissa splats and URs, Caroline has a repeat of SC, Mirai URs, Ashley rushes everything and URs, Christina could probably pull ahead.

    That being said, do you think the 2008 Mirai was ready to go to the Olympics? She was a year younger then than Christina is now and very juniorish but she still won and got huge scores for two very cutesy juniorish programs. What about 2008 Rachael? 2008 US nationals was a podium of tiny, juniorish teens. If the Olympics were in 2008, do you think the US should have sent the imploding Meissner and headcase Bebe to worlds instead of Mirai and Rachael?

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I think a lot of the US girls would have trouble beating Murakami. I can see Christine placing ahead of some of the US girls if they get underrotations, to be quite frank. ahem Mirai, Alissa. I'm looking at you. But enough to go to the Olympics, No?.
    No disrepect to Murakami.
    But it was just an example to show why Gao is NOT ready NOW, which is NOT what silverlake's been saying.
    A few of the top girls are world junior champions who's been developing in the past 2 seasons.
    Gao isn't even as good as these girls 2 years ago, what makes her better than them now.

  13. #28
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    96
    In my opinion, Ashley is under-rated around here. She's had all season to build confidence and get some international experience under her. I'm counting on her to pull off a clean skate and medal. If Sasha brings her A-game, she'll take the gold. But who knows. Rachael is very strong as well.

    Its going to be one big surprise and that's why I'm so excited! Anything could happen.

  14. #29
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,657
    I love Ashley's skating and I pray it all goes well and she makes it on the team

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post

    That being said, do you think the 2008 Mirai was ready to go to the Olympics? She was a year younger then than Christina is now and very juniorish but she still won and got huge scores for two very cutesy juniorish programs. What about 2008 Rachael? 2008 US nationals was a podium of tiny, juniorish teens. If the Olympics were in 2008, do you think the US should have sent the imploding Meissner and headcase Bebe to worlds instead of Mirai and Rachael?
    I read an article after the 2007 GPF, though I can't recall where. At the senior GP Final, Kimmie and Caroline were the 2 U.S. ladies to qualify. Kimmie faltered while Caroline finished 4th. An official from the USFSA was there, and asked an ISU official if there was any possibility of sending Caroline to the World Championship. He got a definite NO!!!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •