Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dube and Davison Bring Judges To Tears

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    I think Annabelle and Cody's Grand Canyon program is a thing of beauty. I hope to see them skate it to their full potential. It's fresh, original, and could be very involving and uplifting if skated really well.
    Agreed. It's gorgeous, simple and clean in it's design. Love the way everything is woven into a program that uses a piece of music that is neither cheesy nor overused. Refreshing.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Well, if D/D retire, I'll hope to see something of a professional career for them. I like them. And I'm a particular fan of Jess , she IS lovely ,not to mention brave and downright dauntless.

I didn't mean to imply that I had heard or read Jess or Bryce themselves express that thought.( And I would have been very surprised if they did.I believe they know how to give an interview at this stage of their career.) I worded that poorly. Sorry.The they I referred to was their team,as a whole. And I didn't take note of who ,in particular, the idea was attributed to.The gist of it was that just as Love Story brought out the emotional connection between the skaters,and the skaters and audience , D/D's team had looked for a vehicle that would reawaken that connection between them , and expand it to draw in the audience.( It may have been a feature on the fact that David was working closely with them )...but even if I had never heard / seen that, what my eyes told me when I saw The Way We Were would have led me to the same conclusion.

Maybe most wouldn't agree with me, that's OK, too. Just don't think I'm picking on Jess and Bryce. To be honest, I liked Love Story in spite of myself...but I was sorry when S/P scrapped their Orchid program . I thought it had the potential to be stunning and I'm not sure their results wouldn't have been the same anyway. That's just the kind of hairpin I am...
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 01-18-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Adding on

Well, if D/D retire, I'll hope to see something of a professional career for them. I like them. And I'm a particular fan of Jess , she IS lovely ,not to mention brave and downright dauntless.
    I don't think they will skate professionaly. On a SC interview, Jess stated that she wanted to go to school for interior design very soon and I know Bryce wants to go to school as well. I always am delighted when skaters want to experience a life outside of skating!

I didn't mean to imply that I had heard or read Jess or Bryce themselves express that thought.( And I would have been very surprised if they did.I believe they know how to give an interview at this stage of their career.) I worded that poorly. Sorry.The they I referred to was their team,as a whole. And I didn't take note of who ,in particular, the idea was attributed to.The gist of it was that just as Love Story brought out the emotional connection between the skaters,and the skaters and audience , D/D's team had looked for a vehicle that would reawaken that connection between them , and expand it to draw in the audience.( It may have been a feature on the fact that David was working closely with them )...but even if I had never heard / seen that, what my eyes told me would have led me to the same conclusion.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I don't know if they are still working that much with David - I haven't seen him at any of their competitons this year. I love the program and I don't find it schmaltzy at all. If it was put on or forced I would have a problem with it but because it is their own personal story and the emotion is so evident on their faces it's amazing. It is just real and I love that because in pairs there is little to no connection anymore, IMO. D/D are unique in this regard. The other teams are all about the big tricks.

Maybe most wouldn't agree with me, that's OK, too. Just don't think I'm picking on Jess and Bryce. To be honest, I liked Love Story in spite of myself...but I was sorry when S/P scrapped their Orchid program . I thought it had the potential to be stunning and I'm not sure their results wouldn't have been the same anyway. That's just the kind of hairpin I am...
    I adored Orchid and I honestly don't know why they got rid of it. It was so beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    I adored Orchid and I honestly don't know why they got rid of it. It was so beautiful!
    I got the feeling that the choreography was too hard for them. Going back to the easier Love Story was a good decision.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    ...in pairs there is little to no connection anymore, IMO. D/D are unique in this regard. The other teams are all about the big tricks.

*cough* Shen/Zhao *cough*

Anyways, I really loved S/P's Orchid too. I certainly would be griping about the pairs debacle at 2002 SLC a lot less if S/P had skated to Orchid perfectly in the LP. If I recall correctly, S/P switched away from Orchid to Love Story because they weren't able to skate to Orchid cleanly all season--I would hazard a guess and say they chose Love Story because it was easier to skate to cleanly than Orchid, which had more complex choreography.

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    *cough* Shen/Zhao *cough*
    Yes, they have more of a connection than the others but I would say that Jess and Bryce are better at displaying it, imo. I don't quite get all the excitment over S/Z this year. I love them but their programs don't do much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Anyways, I really loved S/P's Orchid too. I certainly would be griping about the pairs debacle at 2002 SLC a lot less if S/P had skated to Orchid perfectly in the LP. If I recall correctly, S/P switched away from Orchid to Love Story because they weren't able to skate to Orchid cleanly all season--I would hazard a guess and say they chose Love Story because it was easier to skate to cleanly than Orchid, which had more complex choreography.
    Their SC performance of it was exquisite - she only doubled a throw I think. I so wish they had stuck with it.

Custom Title
    Oooooh, i love to skate, them's fighting words about Shen/Zhao.

I'm actually surprised at how much the D/D long program lacked schmaltz, truth be told. The music is definitely sappy, but the story itself (both in the film and on the ice) is cannier than that.

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    They deserve only scorn for that hopelessly schmaltzy long program. I know the French love cheese, but apparently, so do French Canadians. A judge that is emotionally susceptible to that mess is as suspect as one susceptible to bribery of any other kind.
    Human beings have these things called emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Oooooh, i love to skate, them's fighting words about Shen/Zhao.
    Why? I think they are a great team but I find more connection in D/D than I do in them.

Custom Title
    I think D/D's connection is very overrated. Honestly, I think Jessica's been phoning it in for a while and fainting schoolgirl is the only thing she can pull off on the ice, hence all their lovey dovey programs. I sometimes wish Bryce had a different partner so he could try different styles. Also their programs are really empty, choreographically speaking! (though they're not the only ones)

They had a solid skated here, but unless the top skaters make mistakes, I can't see them medaling.
    Last edited by oleada; 01-18-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Custom Title
    Dube and Davison skated fine enough, their best all season. But I don't believe they skated any where near Sale and Pelletier in 2001/02 season, which some (Canadian Journalists) compared them to. D & D, especially Dube is way too cautious and reserved, nothing like Sale with her mega watt spark and confidence that went right up to the rafters. I saw them win the Nationals and the Words in person. She dared us, with her "look to kill" to think of them anything but the best and they were the best. They truly believed it. They worked it and they willed it. I don't see and have not in four years, anything near that in performance, confidence or attitude in D & D. I know they were supposed to take S & P mantle for Canada but it's a heavy burden to meet and they have not. With their best performance, they would do well to be in top 10 at the Olympics. And I am an ardent Canadian figure skating fan.

Rinkside
    I can see why people would compare this to Love Story. I certainly thought of it. Schmaltzy music, grey costumes, and the re-enactment of key moments from the movie - for Love Story, it was the snowball fight, while for The Way We Were, it's the Hubbell Hair Tussle. I think they performed their program beautifully, but while I usually feel like I'm drawn to them when I watch them for the first time, I do find that I don't want to watch their performance when it's replayed.

Then again, judges only need to watch it once, when it's live.

Question

Wow...A bit harsh on Jessica...I was at that world's. It was swe-e-e-et , to say the least. I adored Jamie's spunk but I can appreciate a gentler on ice-persona equally. You certainly can't fault Jess on her air positions, daring..her jumps may be stronger..

You can tell from my previous posts that I don't want to compare the couples outright. Let them be individual. However, if we must...if there's a weak link here , it's Bryce. I can't see that he's ever put much work into his extensions ,e.g. He may be sure footed and a reliable partner. I believe he is, but he's never really tried to look her equal. I don't know how he can go out on the ice looking like he's just someone they grabbed out of the stands or the parking lot ( This costume is not the first trangression.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    I know they were supposed to take S & P mantle for Canada but it's a heavy burden to meet and they have not. With their best performance, they would do well to be in top 10 at the Olympics. And I am an ardent Canadian figure skating fan.
    I'm sorry, but in four Worlds and one Olympics, D/D have never been out of the top ten. I don't think it requires their best performance. I don't know if they can crack the top five (which would be an estimable achievement with this field), but top ten is assured barring a disaster.

Yeah, what he/she (ImaginaryPogue) said...

There's no use pretending that they are top contenders for gold ,or even (in this rich,rich year ) for the podium .They are very good. They need to skate their very best. Then it will all depend on how many teams can do that... that's sport.

And L/H could be right there with them , if they keep progressing the way they have.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 01-18-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Adding on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast