Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: US 2010 Junior Worlds Team

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I'm gutted that Cannuscio & Lorello did not make the Jr. World team. They had such a great JGP series, and placed 6th at JGPF. This was the last year they are eligible for Jr. Worlds

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Oh yes. Always wondered why the GPF rules were different than Oly/Worlds. Is that still the case now?

Mao could do senior GP in 2005 because she was Junior Worlds champion. So could Caroline Zhang two seasons ago. Otherwise they were still too young for GP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarCranberry View Post
    Mao could do senior GP in 2005 because she was Junior Worlds champion. So could Caroline Zhang two seasons ago. Otherwise they were still too young for GP.
    No, being Jr. World champion does not waive the age rule. The minimum age to compete on the Senior Grand Prix (and In Senior B internationals) is 14 by July 1st before the start of the new season. It's 15 for ISU Senior Championships (Worlds, 4 Continents and Europeans) and the Olympics.

DorisP: I feel badly for Cannuscio/Lorello as well, but at least they got the experience of competing in the JGP Final this season (something that Gilles/Donohue missed out on last season when they withdrew from the JGPF due to injury).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-28-2010 at 04:41 PM.

Custom Title
    I won't be surprised if Christina Gao or Murakami beats Ashley. Remember last year, Ashley had like 10 points lead over Caroline after the SP and still ended up with 3rd place finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    Ashley? I fully expect her to win this, like Caroline should have last year... before Alena Leonova had her breakthrough.

I was (still am) hoping that Kanako Murakami could win though, she's been dominating the junior scene all season and she's an actual junior. I hope Christina does well and medals too. It will be tough between Ashley, Kanako, and Polina Shelepen, but I think Christina can do it.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    No, being Jr. World champion does not waive the age rule. The minimum age to compete on the Senior Grand Prix (and In Senior B internationals) is 14 by July 1st before the start of the new season. It's 15 for ISU Senior Championships (Worlds, 4 Continents and Europeans) and the Olympics.
    There was a time when being Junior World Champion (or silver or bronze medalist) would make an underage skater eligible to appear at Worlds, but that exception was eliminated nearly ten years ago. In 2000, Sasha Cohen tried to qualify for Worlds (after finishing second at U.S. Nationals) by medalling at the Junior World Championships in Oberstdorf, but she finished off the podium.

Medalist

Ashley at Jr World's is a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    With so many talented US skaters competing for so few international assignments, Ashley shouldn't be able to have it both ways. She was given the option of 4CC should she miss the Olympic team, but she passed on it. Her season should end here because she left herself no other alternative besides the Olympics. Junior Worlds is no consolation prize.
    It appears that the competion rules would exclude her based on age. She is age eligible and by all accounts that I have seen a terrific skater. If the Americans wish to extend her season and have her represent them why not? She will add to the event by giving the rest of our international skaters an excellent competitor, to us the skating fans hopefully a memorable skating show. I believe it should be all about a quality competition within the allowable competition parameters - which apparently it is..

Custom Title
    IMO, JW shouldn't be a consolation prize for senior skaters who aren't lucky or good enough to make it to 4CC or Worlds.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    IMO, JW shouldn't be a consolation prize for senior skaters who aren't lucky or good enough to make it to 4CC or Worlds.
    "Senior skaters" are all those who are age-eligible for senior events.

The Junior Grand Prix Final is the culmination of the Junior Grand Prix season. Junior Worlds is an entirely separate event that predates the Junior Grand Prix series by several decades. It is open to all skaters from ISU federations who meet the age requirements, and was never intended to exclude those who have competed in senior events.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3