bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Mens announced:

Grant Hochstein
Armin Mahbanoozadeh
Ross Miner

Alt 1: Keegan Messing
Alt 2: Richard Dornbush
Alt 3: Jason Brown (just won US junior title)

Ross Miner had to withdraw from US Nationals this year due to ankle (?) injury. So depending on Ross' healing or not, Keegan may want to keep training hard for a bit longer!

Last edited:

Morning Glory

On the Ice
Thank you for the information!

Ross Miner had to withdraw from US Nationals this year due to ankle (?) injury. So depending on Ross' healing or not, Keegan may want to keep training hard for a bit longer!

Glad to hear Ross Miner goes to Jr. Wolds. I hope his strong recovery.

N

n_halifax

Am I alone in finding it odd that they released the men's Olympic, 4CCs, Worlds and World Junior entries but only the Olympic, 4CCs and Worlds team in pairs?

RUKen

Rinkside
Am I alone in finding it odd that they released the men's Olympic, 4CCs, Worlds and World Junior entries but only the Olympic, 4CCs and Worlds team in pairs?

There are very few junior-eligible pairs teams (for international competitions) in the US. They clearly want the results of the junior competition at US Nationals before they name the pairs entries for Junior Worlds.

N

n_halifax

There are very few junior-eligible pairs teams (for international competitions) in the US. They clearly want the results of the junior competition at US Nationals before they name the pairs entries for Junior Worlds.

Very good point! In my infinite wisdom, for some reason I thought Junior pairs were done and I was looking at the short program results and thinking they were final results... it's Monday. ;)

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
For the Jr. Pairs, this is what i'd think it'd be
1. Zhang/Toth
2.Simpson/Miller
3/Carman/Reiss

I think this is likely to be the case, as there is no team skating seniors this year that is age-eligible, and only 4 (including these 3) skating junior. The question then is what to do about alternates--I suppose they will be looking into the novice ranks for that.

Narumi1997

Rinkside
I think this is likely to be the case, as there is no team skating seniors this year that is age-eligible, and only 4 (including these 3) skating junior. The question then is what to do about alternates--I suppose they will be looking into the novice ranks for that.
Probably Cain/Reagan, Vollmer/Sidhu and Duarte/Grafton

Sylvia

Record Breaker
USFS' Selection committee is not scheduled to meet again until Saturday, so that's why the Junior World pairs selections have not been announced yet.

My guess is the same as Narumi1997's: the top 3 age-eligible finishers in Juniors (#1, 2 & 5) and ditto for the Novices (#1, 2 & 4 as the alternates).

N

n_halifax

I guess the ladies, pairs and dance teams will be announced early next week. :)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Here is the rest of the US team for Junior Worlds -- to be considered unofficial until confirmed by USFS (hopefully by later today):

Ladies: Ashley Wagner (S3), Christina Gao (S5), Agnes Zawadzki (J1);
Ladies alternates 1-3: Kiri Baga (J4), Lindsay Davis (J3), Melissa Bulanhagui (S12).

Dance: Shibutani/Shibutani (J1), Tibbetts/Brubaker (J2), Gilles/Donohue (J3);
Alternates 1-3: Cannuscio/Lorello (J4), Olson/Cowan (J5), Bonacorsi/Mager (J6).

Pairs: Zhang/Toth (J1), Simpson/Miller (J2), Carman/Reiss (J5);
Alternates: Cain/Reagan (N1), Vollmer/Sidhu (N2), Duarte/Grafton (N4).

Trewyn

Medalist
^^ Really??? I thought I read somewhere that Ashley was no longer age-eligible for Jr Worlds? I feel bad for her to have to go there a third time; but if it's confirmed I'll be really excited for myself because The Hague is one of the nearest possible location for the event to be at! Would I finally meet Ashley after all?

fairly4

Medalist
i seriously doubt they would put her on the team--ashley-- i mean-what is the age cut off--18 or 19--ashely isn't 19 only 18.

nadster

Final Flight
i seriously doubt they would put her on the team--ashley-- i mean-what is the age cut off--18 or 19--ashely isn't 19 only 18.

Eligibility would be based on your age on July 1, 2009. If you are between 13 and 18 on that date, you can go to Junior Worlds.

That means there may be some 19 year olds who can go provided they turn 19 after July 1, 2009.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Ladies alternates 1-3: Kiri Baga (J4), Lindsay Davis (J3), Melissa Bulanhagui (S12).

^^ Really??? I thought I read somewhere that Ashley was no longer age-eligible for Jr Worlds? I feel bad for her to have to go there a third time; but if it's confirmed I'll be really excited for myself because The Hague is one of the nearest possible location for the event to be at! Would I finally meet Ashley after all?

According to this, Ashley is going. I think this is a ridiculous decision. She has been skating senior for a while, she was the best US skater on the GP circuit, and she should have been chosen for Worlds. I understand that US Nats are a big deal but even that was pretty close, and based on I/B's comments, it appears that the USFSA was willing to split the assignments for the pairs - so why not do the same for the ladies?

On the other hand, Trewyn, I'm so glad you'll get to see her skate live! It's practically around the corner, isn't it? And I'm guessing that Junior Worlds won't be as crowded as Worlds so you will probably be able to meet her, too.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Well, look at this way - she'll certainly be a contender, if not one of the ones to beat.

Ashley? I fully expect her to win this, like Caroline should have last year... before Alena Leonova had her breakthrough.

I was (still am) hoping that Kanako Murakami could win though, she's been dominating the junior scene all season and she's an actual junior. I hope Christina does well and medals too. It will be tough between Ashley, Kanako, and Polina Shelepen, but I think Christina can do it. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ashley? I fully expect her to win this, like Caroline should have last year... before Alena Leonova had her breakthrough.

I was (still am) hoping that Kanako Murakami could win though, she's been dominating the junior scene all season and she's an actual junior. I hope Christina does well and medals too. It will be tough between Ashley, Kanako, and Polina Shelepen, but I think Christina can do it. :)

I think she should have turned it down and opted before to go to 4CC. But I guess since it worked out the way it did, I too expect Ashley to do very well. Though...I personally am rooting for Christina and Kankako..because they're actual junior skaters.

There should be some rule that once you compete at a senior worlds (as Ashley did) you're no longer eligible for junior world competition.

LeCygne

Final Flight
I think she should have turned it down and opted before to go to 4CC. But I guess since it worked out the way it did, I too expect Ashley to do very well.

With so many talented US skaters competing for so few international assignments, Ashley shouldn't be able to have it both ways. She was given the option of 4CC should she miss the Olympic team, but she passed on it. Her season should end here because she left herself no other alternative besides the Olympics. Junior Worlds is no consolation prize.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I understand that US Nats are a big deal but even that was pretty close, and based on I/B's comments, it appears that the USFSA was willing to split the assignments for the pairs - so why not do the same for the ladies?
According to a very reliable source at Nationals, I/B were never offered Worlds ahead of Evora/Ladwig (i.e., take John Baldwin's post-FS comments with a big grain of salt).