Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: US 2010 Junior Worlds Team

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Ladies alternates 1-3: Kiri Baga (J4), Lindsay Davis (J3), Melissa Bulanhagui (S12).
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    ^^ Really??? I thought I read somewhere that Ashley was no longer age-eligible for Jr Worlds? I feel bad for her to have to go there a third time; but if it's confirmed I'll be really excited for myself because The Hague is one of the nearest possible location for the event to be at! Would I finally meet Ashley after all?
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    i seriously doubt they would put her on the team--ashley-- i mean-what is the age cut off--18 or 19--ashely isn't 19 only 18.
    According to this, Ashley is going. I think this is a ridiculous decision. She has been skating senior for a while, she was the best US skater on the GP circuit, and she should have been chosen for Worlds. I understand that US Nats are a big deal but even that was pretty close, and based on I/B's comments, it appears that the USFSA was willing to split the assignments for the pairs - so why not do the same for the ladies?

On the other hand, Trewyn, I'm so glad you'll get to see her skate live! It's practically around the corner, isn't it? And I'm guessing that Junior Worlds won't be as crowded as Worlds so you will probably be able to meet her, too.

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    Well, look at this way - she'll certainly be a contender, if not one of the ones to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by n_halifax View Post
    Well, look at this way - she'll certainly be a contender, if not one of the ones to beat.
    Ashley? I fully expect her to win this, like Caroline should have last year... before Alena Leonova had her breakthrough.

I was (still am) hoping that Kanako Murakami could win though, she's been dominating the junior scene all season and she's an actual junior. I hope Christina does well and medals too. It will be tough between Ashley, Kanako, and Polina Shelepen, but I think Christina can do it.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    Ashley? I fully expect her to win this, like Caroline should have last year... before Alena Leonova had her breakthrough.

I was (still am) hoping that Kanako Murakami could win though, she's been dominating the junior scene all season and she's an actual junior. I hope Christina does well and medals too. It will be tough between Ashley, Kanako, and Polina Shelepen, but I think Christina can do it.
    I think she should have turned it down and opted before to go to 4CC. But I guess since it worked out the way it did, I too expect Ashley to do very well. Though...I personally am rooting for Christina and Kankako..because they're actual junior skaters.

There should be some rule that once you compete at a senior worlds (as Ashley did) you're no longer eligible for junior world competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I think she should have turned it down and opted before to go to 4CC. But I guess since it worked out the way it did, I too expect Ashley to do very well.
    With so many talented US skaters competing for so few international assignments, Ashley shouldn't be able to have it both ways. She was given the option of 4CC should she miss the Olympic team, but she passed on it. Her season should end here because she left herself no other alternative besides the Olympics. Junior Worlds is no consolation prize.

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    With so many talented US skaters competing for so few international assignments, Ashley shouldn't be able to have it both ways. She was given the option of 4CC should she miss the Olympic team, but she passed on it. Her season should end here because she left herself no other alternative besides the Olympics. Junior Worlds is no consolation prize.
    I think sending one of their senior medallists is the U.S. federation's way of saying 'look, an easy three spots next year'. But I do agree with you in that you can't have it both ways. Wagner perhaps shouldn't, but U.S. Figure Skating can and did.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I understand that US Nats are a big deal but even that was pretty close, and based on I/B's comments, it appears that the USFSA was willing to split the assignments for the pairs - so why not do the same for the ladies?
    According to a very reliable source at Nationals, I/B were never offered Worlds ahead of Evora/Ladwig (i.e., take John Baldwin's post-FS comments with a big grain of salt).

Custom Title

U.S. World Junior team is official now

USFS' 1/23/10 Press Release (World Junior Ladies and Ice Dancing Teams & Alternates added at bottom):
    2010 U.S. World Junior Ladies Figure Skating Team
    Christina Gao
    Ashley Wagner
    Agnes Zawadzki

Alternate No. 1 - Kiri Baga
    Alternate No. 2 - Lindsay Davis
    Alternate No. 3 - Melissa Bulanhagui

2010 U.S. World Junior Ice Dancing Team
    Piper Gilles and Zachary Donohue
    Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani
    Rachel Tibbetts and Collin Brubaker

Alternate No. 1 - Isabella Cannuscio and Ian Lorello
    Alternate No. 2 - Anastasia Olson and Jordan Cowan
    Alternate No. 3 - Lauri Bonacorsi and Travis Mager

USFS' 1/16/10 Press Release (World Junior Pairs Team & Alternates added at bottom):
    2010 U.S. World Junior Pairs Figure Skating Team
    Brynn Carman and A.J. Reiss
    Britney Simpson and Nathan Miller
    Felicia Zhang and Taylor Toth

Alternate No. 1 - Ashley Cain and Joshua Reagan
    Alternate No. 2 - Tori Vollmer and Zack Sidhu
    Alternate No. 3 - Kylie Duarte and Colin Grafton

USFS' 1/17/10 Press Release (World Junior Men's Team & Alternates):
    2010 U.S. World Junior Men's Figure Skating Team
    Grant Hochstein
    Armin Mahbanoozadeh
    Ross Miner

Alternate No. 1 - Keegan Messing
    Alternate No. 2 - Richard Dornbush
    Alternate No. 3 - Jason Brown
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-28-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    does anyone else almost find it degrading that ashley is selected for junior worlds yet again? she has competed at sr. worlds and was less than 5 points away from being selected for the olympics. plus she is an alternate for the senior world team (which she would likely go to given the chance that rachael and/or mirai would end their season after the olympics if they show decently). I can't speak for ashley but if i were in her shoes i would feel kinda slighted...she works really really hard and lays it on the line (and even makes the Grand Prix Final....which no other American lady in the last 2 or so years can claim)....and she keeps getting named to junior worlds in the place of someone else who could really benefit from the experience and ISU standing points...

ok my rant is done. :-)

Tripping on the Podium
    another question....will the ISU notice that this is the second year that Ashely has gone to Jr Worlds after competing at Seniors and at the GPF? Yes there should be a rule....but will one of the federations submit it for consideration? also, are there any other nations that routinely do this?

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by silversprings77 View Post
    another question....will the ISU notice that this is the second year that Ashely has gone to Jr Worlds after competing at Seniors and at the GPF? Yes there should be a rule....but will one of the federations submit it for consideration? also, are there any other nations that routinely do this?
    In 2006, Mao Asada did compete at junior worlds despite competing in the GPF at the senior level. But of course that was for just one year. Not three like Ashley.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    In 2006, Mao Asada did compete at junior worlds despite competing in the GPF at the senior level. But of course that was for just one year. Not three like Ashley.
    But that was because that year Mao was old enough for senior GPs but was too young for senior Worlds according to ISU rules.

So the siutation is not the same.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by nadster View Post
    But that was because that year Mao was old enough for senior GPs but was too young for senior Worlds according to ISU rules.

So the siutation is not the same.
    Oh yes. Always wondered why the GPF rules were different than Oly/Worlds. Is that still the case now?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by silversprings77 View Post
    Elena Gedevanishvili competed at Junior Worlds last year after having competed at Senior Worlds three times and Europeans four times. Elena Glebova competed at Junior Worlds in 2008 after two appearances at Senior Worlds and three at Europeans. Tomas Verner competed at Junior Worlds in 2004 after two appearances each at Senior Worlds and Europeans. I'm sure I could have found more examples if I had been willing to click on all of the ISU bios--it's really not that unusual and certainly not limited to the U.S.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by RUKen View Post
    Elena Gedevanishvili competed at Junior Worlds last year after having competed at Senior Worlds three times and Europeans four times. Elena Glebova competed at Junior Worlds in 2008 after two appearances at Senior Worlds and three at Europeans. Tomas Verner competed at Junior Worlds in 2004 after two appearances each at Senior Worlds and Europeans. I'm sure I could have found more examples if I had been willing to click on all of the ISU bios--it's really not that unusual and certainly not limited to the U.S.

you definitely had more time than i did to research. thanks! i guess i'm just bummed from the USFSA not seeming tostick to the olympic selection criteria that they had laid out. i thought they were adding in performance in fall comps too which i thought would have made the difference seeing as how the final national result was relatively close.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast