Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Alissa is ready!

Alissa is ready!

OK, Alissa Czisny can pack her bag for Vancouver, with a brief stopover in Spokane. I just saw her do her final pre-Nationals performance at the Detroit Skating Club send-off event. She did her complete long program (Dr. Zhivago, purple dress).

She hit 3Lz+2T+2Lo (+1 GOE),
    3F (0 GOE -- landing maybe not quite as secure as her other jumps),
    I couldn't quite see the next jump, probably a triple loop, no problem that I could tell,
    2A (excellent, +1 GOE, but no sequence)
    3Lz (step out of landing, possibly underrotated)
    3T+2T, good
    I couldn't tell what the last triple was, maybe another loop, looked good to me.

Spiral sequence and spins outstanding, best-in-the-world class. Excellent speed, fine interpretation and choreography. Secure landings on all her jumps but one. with superior flow-out. I scored it at 135.39.

There is something about the cut of the music that isn't quite right, in my humble opinion. The timing of the first spiral to the first occurance of the main theme ("Somewhere My Love") isn't quite spot on, to me (she should turn into it on "somewhere" and open up fully on "my love," or something like that ), and then the theme disappears too abruptly.

Overall, a super perfrormance. It should be a big confidence booster going into Nationals.

Jeremy Abbott, Davis and White, and a slew of other Spokane-bound skaters also performed. I will give a complete report in Sylvia's "Send-off" thread in the Announcements folder.
    Last edited by Mathman; 01-02-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Genealogy Crazed
    Thanks for the report, Mathman! Sounds good!

Custom Title
    Great to hear, Mathman!

I watched Boitano's special on New Year's Day. Czisny's spins were so superb: they seemed to get faster as they went on. It's elements like this that make me especially eager to see her do well in Nationals. She's not just a pretty girl who looks nice on the ice. She has real quality in her movements, and wonderful musical interpretation. Now, if only her jumps don't let her down....

It makes me very hopeful that she's been working with Boitano and Linda Leaver. Maybe this has given her some substance jumpwise. Fingers are crossed!

On the Ice
    Thanks for your report, Mathman! I hope Alissa does well at the Nationals.

I found a couple of recent videos of Allisa on Youtube. These are from when she skated at Galleria Dallas on Dec. 19, 2009. I find her skating just exquisite.

Practice
    Performance

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    OK, Alissa Czisny can pack her bag for Vancouver, with a brief stopover in Spokane. I just saw her do her final pre-Nationals performance at the Detroit Skating Club send-off event. She did her complete long program (Dr. Zhivago, purple dress).
    That's great news! Although the real test will be to see if she can be spot on at nationals, defending her first national title. Wouldn't that be cool if Alissa of all people successfully defended her first national title during an Olympic year. That being said, I'm sure all the other ladies are working and pushing hard right now too: they all obviously REALLY want one of the Olympic spots to be theirs. Can't wait for nationals, if everyone is at her best, it will be amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue710 View Post
    I found a couple of recent videos of Allisa on Youtube. These are from when she skated at Galleria Dallas on Dec. 19, 2009. I find her skating just exquisite.

Practice
    Performance
    Thanks for the links! That was great! I really liked the practice video. She stood in her opening pose for 35 seconds waiting for the music to start. Who was the guy in the red sweater that was following her? That was funny when she changed directions suddenly and bumped into him.

As for the performance, all I can say is, if I looked that good in a little black Audrey Hepburn dress, I would put one on and never change clothes again.

It was also funny when she skated behind that big pillar. The crowd went wild. She must have been doing something spectacular, but from our "seats" she just disappeared for a while and then came skating back around the corner.

I hope her friendship with Brian Boitano leads to many more opportunities for her to perform.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Who was the guy in the red sweater that was following her? That was funny when she changed directions suddenly and bumped into him.
    That's Dan Hollander. Here is the view from his camcorder.
    http://www.twitvid.com/7FFA0

Apparently, he was Santa at the ice show.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPvK4oOafD8
    Last edited by skyblue710; 01-02-2010 at 11:19 PM.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Glad to hear she skated well, but I would not want to be in her shoes at Nationals as defending champion and the pressure of having to place in the top two to make the olympic team. Nerves are always what does her in, and nationals this year will be a whole new level of nerves.

Sounds good Mathman... I really want to see her make it to the Olympics in spite of what some of her detractors may think.

Down With It
    Thanks for the report, but...what she just did was a pressure-free show (at least from a competitor's POV). Czisny is DEFENDING champ, she's going to have it tough and with this being her only true shot at an Oly team, and her history of dealing with pressure, I seriously doubt she's up to the challenge...sorry Alyssa fans...anyway, her Nats performance has the final say.

Sentimentally I'd go for Wagner (or Nagasu even) over Czisny but Czisny over Cohen or Zhang or "SS". Assuming Flatt has the other spot in the bag, that is (which I'd like to say she doesn't)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Thanks for the report, but...what she just did was a pressure-free show (at least from a competitor's POV). Czisny is DEFENDING champ, she's going to have it tough and with this being her only true shot at an Oly team, and her history of dealing with pressure, I seriously doubt she's up to the challenge...sorry Alyssa fans...anyway, her Nats performance has the final say.

Sentimentally I'd go for Wagner (or Nagasu even) over Czisny but Czisny over Cohen or Zhang or "SS". Assuming Flatt has the other spot in the bag, that is (which I'd like to say she doesn't)
    I totally agree. Those Olympics spots are up for anyone's grabs and it's going to come down to who has the strength to stay on her feet.

Thanks for the report! I wish her all the best at Nationals...hopefully she can skate up to her capabilities! I don't think there will be too much pressure on her at Nats. If Sasha shows up people are pretty much going to forget that Alissa won last year. All Alissa has to do is finish in the top two which she is more than capable of.

I had seen the videos of her performance to Oh Holy Night earlier and I have to say that is the most ridiculous set up for a rink that I have ever seen. Why is there a giant pillar in the middle of it??
    Last edited by i love to skate; 01-03-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I totally agree. Those Olympics spots are up for anyone's grabs and it's going to come down to who has the strength to stay on her feet.
    And who can rotate their jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Thanks for the report! I wish her all the best at Nationals...hopefully she can skate up to her capabilities! I don't think there will be too much pressure on her at Nats. If Sasha shows up people are pretty much going to forget that Alissa won last year. All Alissa has to do is finish in the top two which she is more than capable of.

I had seen the videos of her performance to Oh Holy Night and I have to say that is the most ridiculous set up for a rink that I have ever seen. Why is there a giant pillar in the middle of it??
    That's a gigantic Christmas tree. It's placement was a rather unfortunate. Half the video I was staring at the giant pillar because she was skating behind it!! Still a lovely performance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    And who can rotate their jumps.
    That too, and who doesn't flutz. Or who doesn't get called out on these things.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast