Cohen's practice sessions updates? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Cohen's practice sessions updates?

soogar

Record Breaker
Sorry Silverlake22, I tuly believe that Sasha can beat Yuna. Actually, anyone can. I am not so fond of Yu-na's artistry, spins and spiral position at all. I believe it is mediocre level amongst world top skaters. I believe that Yu-na's 3-3 is the best in the world. But I feel that that is all she has. But this is my opinion and please do not get upset.
Anyway good luck to all the skaters!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SASHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ITA with you. One of the reasons I haven't been following skating as closely is because of the sloppiness of the new ladies and Yu Na's form is mediocre compared to Sasha, Shizuka and Michelle Kwan. Quite frankly I don't get the excitement over her skating and her scores are very high in spite of her sloppy form on her spins and spirals.

Yu Na has made a lot of mistakes in her GP events. I would take a mistake ridden Sasha program over a mistake ridden Yu Na program anyday. It would be interesting if Sasha makes it to the Olympics how her programs would compare to Yu Na and whether Yu Na would still pull those program component scores. The thing Sasha has over all the ladies is beautiful form and carriage on her moves. Even with the falls (and no lady is skating perfect programs) I think she would compare favorably with the top ladies.

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
I know scores will be inflated at Nationals...but just out of curousity, does anyone remember what Sasha got at 2006 Nats? I want to say a 64 but not sure if that is right. I think the highest Ladies' SP at the US Nationals Championships was Mirai in 2008, and IIRC, she broke 70????? Maybe a 71???? I fully expect 70+ at Nationals for Sasha if she is clean...Internationally, I bet she could easily score low 60's with that program. I didn't think it looked quite as high in scoring potential as Dark Eyes (or Mal), but then again, she didn't skate full out, it was practice.

Layfan

Record Breaker
ITA with you. One of the reasons I haven't been following skating as closely is because of the sloppiness of the new ladies and Yu Na's form is mediocre compared to Sasha, Shizuka and Michelle Kwan. Quite frankly I don't get the excitement over her skating and her scores are very high in spite of her sloppy form on her spins and spirals.

There's something awkward about Kim Yuna, I agree. But her jumps and her speed are breathtaking, and her musicality is too. The spirals are for me her biggest weakness. They're the most awkward moment in her programs. When Sasha is clean, she never has an awkward moment. And yes, neither did Shizuka or Michelle Kwan.

Even in her heyday she only once cracked 70. With all the tightening on scoring, it's practically laughable to think she'd get 76 now.
Laughable? Unlikely, perhaps - but RD, your predictive powers are a bit tarnished at the moment where Sasha is concerned. It might be wise to avoid sneers. :sheesh:

Layfan

Record Breaker
There's something awkward about Kim Yuna, I agree. But her jumps and her speed are breathtaking, and her musicality is too. The spirals are for me her biggest weakness. They're the most awkward moment in her programs. When Sasha is clean, she never has an awkward moment. And yes, neither did Shizuka or Michelle Kwan.

Oh the other hand ... I just rewatched her FS from SA. Wowee. No, I'm sorry but whether or not she deserves 76 she simply has far and away but the best short program out there. I can nitpick but ... the girl has no real weaknesses.

We'll see what Sasha does. Joannie Rochette got a 70 this season without a 3-3. So maybe Sasha can too. We shall see.

jan

On the Ice
Sasha Cohen's spins and spiral sequence are way above the other skaters in the world. There is no comparison. The only problem is her flutz and potentiallly wrong edge takeoff on the flip. Her short this year appears to lack the transitions of the top scoring women this year but perhaps her polish, style and other attributes can make up for this. I must say I am shocked she showed up at Nationals and even more shocked at her great form! At least she has put herself in the running.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

One thing I do like about Yuna Kim is that she's willing to try new types of programs. I know people love her Dance Macabre from last year and her Tango Roxanne in '07, but I do admire the fact she's willing to try the Bond music for her short program. (I'm also a Bond fan, so that may color my opinion a bit).

And I think in another thread there was that whole discussion about Yuna's spirals being stronger below the ankle and that's why she still gets at least level 3, even if they don't look that great above the ankle.

The key term, however, mention is the word clean. Yuna has shown some weakness this year, but she has shown that she's able to put out two fall-free programs in one competition.

soogar

Record Breaker
And I think in another thread there was that whole discussion about Yuna's spirals being stronger below the ankle and that's why she still gets at least level 3, even if they don't look that great above the ankle.

We had this huge debate a few years ago over what counts as a great spiral and posters were split between edge quality and form. Yu Na's spirals do not look good and the whole purpose of gliding for that long on one leg is to showcase beautiful form and ice coverage.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I know scores will be inflated at Nationals...but just out of curousity, does anyone remember what Sasha got at 2006 Nats? I want to say a 64 but not sure if that is right. I think the highest Ladies' SP at the US Nationals Championships was Mirai in 2008, and IIRC, she broke 70????? Maybe a 71???? I fully expect 70+ at Nationals for Sasha if she is clean...Internationally, I bet she could easily score low 60's with that program. I didn't think it looked quite as high in scoring potential as Dark Eyes (or Mal), but then again, she didn't skate full out, it was practice.

Mirai did get 70+ but keep in mind that she did a 3lz-3t (not a flutz) skates super fast and has spins that are arguably some of the best in the world (better than Sasha for sure).

Do people actually think Sasha can beat Yuna with a 3flutz-2t as her hardest combination? Yuna is super fast, has huge jumps, the best 3-3 out there, great spins, and spirals that move quickly and are very stretched (I actually prefer hers to some of the rubber band ladies' spirals). Yuna also has limbs that go on for days and make her look elegant and imposing on the ice. Sasha is about half a foot shorter than Yuna with short limbs and is so slight she needs to rely on her presentation to have impact on the ice.

I'm sorry but if they were both at their best Yuna would definitely beat Sasha, by a lot. I mean, Sasha has a great shot at winning nationals, which I expect she will, and she even has a good shot at beating Joannie, Mao, Miki at the Olympics. But Yuna, no way.

Hikaru

Final Flight

I do love Yu-Na's skating, her speed and her jumps are marvelous, and she knows how to play the music, no question about it. I do agree that her spiral, while fast, has a weak free leg (like cannot keep it completely steady, like say Sasha), and in her layback spin the free leg also doesn't have the best posture. probably on those areas Sasha would top her. From what I saw, Sasha looks in good shape, and she didn't seem slow to me. I was surprise to see the 3-3, how I wish she could do it well in the SP. It's going to be very interesting!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Mirai did get 70+ but keep in mind that she did a 3lz-3t (not a flutz) skates super fast and has spins that are arguably some of the best in the world (better than Sasha for sure).

Do people actually think Sasha can beat Yuna with a 3flutz-2t as her hardest combination? Yuna is super fast, has huge jumps, the best 3-3 out there, great spins, and spirals that move quickly and are very stretched (I actually prefer hers to some of the rubber band ladies' spirals). Yuna also has limbs that go on for days and make her look elegant and imposing on the ice. Sasha is about half a foot shorter than Yuna with short limbs and is so slight she needs to rely on her presentation to have impact on the ice.

I'm sorry but if they were both at their best Yuna would definitely beat Sasha, by a lot. I mean, Sasha has a great shot at winning nationals, which I expect she will, and she even has a good shot at beating Joannie, Mao, Miki at the Olympics. But Yuna, no way.

Maybe, but I wish Yuna would point her feet and straighten her knee on her spiral and other moves. It's Sasha's legs that look like they go on forever when she does her spirals, not Yuna's.

Barb

Record Breaker
its true, I don`t know why the problem with Sasha height:scratch:, she is a little short but very well proportionated, very elegant. yuna`s long legs don`t looks more elegant than sasha`s, please, just look at them, the position is the most important, not the long or short legs. the only good of yuna`s spiral is her speed, that`s it:)

janetfan

Match Penalty

Unless Yuna messes up like she has several times this year. Anything is possible. Mao, Miki, Joannie all could have the skate of their lives and beat a nervous subpar Yuna.

Yuna's spirals have great edges and are very fast. Enough to get her level 4 I believe. Very average position and not to be compared with Michelle or Sasha.

jan

On the Ice
I don't think we should be comparing Sasha cohen to the rest just yet. Lets see how she does at Nationals. I just thought she has some great elements. As well, she adds an interesting dynamic to this event. She's got guts to enter. Let's enjoy!

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't think we should be comparing Sasha cohen to the rest just yet. Lets see how she does at Nationals. I just thought she has some great elements. As well, she adds an interesting dynamic to this event. She's got guts to enter. Let's enjoy!

ITA. She may skate OK and wind up 3rd or 4th if the other girls skate their best.
I am happy she will be skating as she is one of my favorites. :love:

Yeah, that's more or less my position too. I don't want to jinx her! It's just wonderful that the little tiger is back. May she do all that she's capable of and let the chips fall where they may.

GO SASHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :love: :rock:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Score are so inconsistent, who knows how the US Ladies will be scored.
Maybe NBC has "ordered" inflated marks to try and create interest ;) :laugh:

I hardly consider that scores have tightened since '09 Worlds

I was referring to international events- Only Yuna is in the category of 76+ scores it seems. The US judges could Cohen that if they wanted to (like Plushenko in Russia- but I doubt they will do that)

And maybe not since 09 worlds, but certainly since 2003, and 2006.

ETA:

Laughable? Unlikely, perhaps - but RD, your predictive powers are a bit tarnished at the moment where Sasha is concerned. It might be wise to avoid sneers.

Yes, I made a mistake. Fine. But that should not directly translate to my statement being completely off base. See what I said above about scoring

and BTW, the competition has not concluded yet. She has not yet taken the ice for her SP. ;)

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
http://www.justin.tv/skate_skate/#r=mWiCzg0and BTW, the competition has not concluded yet. She has not yet taken the ice for her SP. ;)

I give RD that much. He did say when she took her pose on the ice to start her SP he would belive it.

That has not happened yet,,,,,,,,,but the clock is ticking :yes: :)

miki88

Medalist

I don't think she can beat any of them :cool:, maybe if they falter, but not at their best.

fairly4

Medalist
sasha did well in practice.
like john states she stands up she is in.
congratulations--just skate.
not a fan-but when she is on-you can't take your eyes off of her.
so goodluck