Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Cohen's practice sessions updates?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kandidy View Post
    From twitter

Sasha Cohen was the only no-show in the final 2 groups of the 20-minute warmup this morning. I assume she's conserving energy for later today.The other five skaters in the top 6 after the short prpgram all made the practice

Sasha Cohen skips final practice session Sat am. Scott Hamilton: "rest more important when you are a seasoned veteran than getting up very early when you are going to skate a long program at 7:30 pm" (10 hours after practice)
    I keep wondering if Sasha skipped the practice to discourage negative speculation. There were internet updates in 2006 but now with twitter there are constant updates and speculation. One bad practice and it seems that the whole world will know it and that has to mess with the mind. JMO

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    i keep fearing the worst. Somehow I cannot picture she skating clean enough to make the team, but I hate that thought.

Last minuite prediction:
    A clean Ashley wins the freeskate, a good Mirai wins the event.
    Olympic team : Mirai and Ashley.
    Racheal holds onto 3rd, Sasha drops to fourth.
    I seem to recall TAT thinking Sasha did too much on the mornings of her LP's and that hurt her stamina wise, she would be too tired to get through. So, maybe she has learned something, learned what is best for her body.

Your last minute predictions sound very plausible, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ashley wins LP, Sasha is second (1st overall) and many scream wuz robbed for whoever is in 3rd in the LP...

My last minute prediction is Sasha will skate clean enough, just enough, to make the team and many will think she was gifted...she'll get no "e" calls, no downgraded jumps...while Mirai is hammered ala SC. Rachael has almost a repeat of SA LP, and Ashley skates very well. Sasha and Rachael make the team.

I REALLY hope Alissa and Caroline have their best skates, hoping for "once in a lifetime skates," tonight after such a disappointing SP.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I can easily believe she's got all the tools, and I can strongly hope that over the past four years she's developed a new inner strength that will get her through the FP. The only thing I'm worried about is whether her body will do the job. She sure looks like a Bionic Woman, though!

I have to do something else for the next 6 hours. My nerves are jangling!
    Spun, take it easy!!! I feel like Sasha has already by being at nationals and then in 2nd place to boot. She doesn't need to win the LP...she is a winner.

I agree about her body and being able to take on the stress of skating. She does look wonderful though.

I remember when, I think it was Mao, who won over Irina & Michelle. When they interviewed Irina, she said....she's a little girl....let her do this at my age and then I'll talk about how great she is.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    I remember when, I think it was Mao, who won over Irina & Michelle. When they interviewed Irina, she said....she's a little girl....let her do this at my age and then I'll talk about how great she is.
    I remember that interview! Irina seemed really bummed about being defeated by a 15 yr old. Actually Mao skating at Irina's age is very possible. She just said in an interview that she will try to go for 10 national titles.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver
    Me, I'm just watching in amazement at this young lady's willpower, talent, and readiness to let everything she's already achieved be redefined in the light of 7 -- or 10, or 14 -- minutes on slippery ice.
    Hmm...That's an interesting perspective. I never thought Sasha's comeback would redefine everything she's already achieved. Personally, I view what she's achieved as just that, what she's achieved, and nothing is going to take away from that.

I think she's doing this for herself, which I think is the most important thing. I'd rather try to achieve my Olympic dream one more time and fail at it, than not try and live with regret the rest of my life because I was too worried about what other people thought. JMHO.

ETA: Oh, by the way, nice to cyber-meet everyone! I've been lurking for a while but Sasha's comeback finally drove me to join. I'm glad to be here and looking forward to lots of fun skating conversations this Olympic season
    Last edited by karenll; 01-23-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I'm not sure who said vertical Sasha was unbeatable other than Scott Hamilton and I"m not sure that's what he said. (I try to tune him out, frankly. )
    A vertical Sasha is unbeatable is what some Sasha fans has been saying for years.

Anyway, Nagasu is hardly some "little 16 year old" from nowhere. She's a past US champ who's, IMO, the biggest talent in US skating apart from Sasha. It's very possible she'll win the whole thing and if she skated up to her potential (and others messed up) she could even medal in Vancouver.
    I did not say Nagasu is a 16 y/o out of nowhere in my original post. I said a little 16 y/o girl. I totally disagree with you that Nagasu's talent is second to Sasha, she is IMO way ahead of Sasha.

I've been very cautious not to predict anything where Sasha is concerned. My only beef has been with all those who were so eager to predict that she would fail utterly or not even show up. Some of them are apparently too busy to "show up" here and eat their crow.
    I don't blame you for being cautious about predicting Sasha, afterall even after Torino heading into worlds she was supposed to win gold, then oh well,,,,

What she's done is so risky and amazing.
    What is the risk? ?? Amazing definitely disagree. Sasha has never impressed me as a skater who loves to compete, IMO she loves the glamor of skating, and oh yeah the gold medal. If she truly loves to compete she would have done so in the past couple of yrs. So what is so amazing about showing up at nats only because she wants to go to olys??
    Somehow I'm thinking she'll do just fine with Moonlight Sonata.
    Now that is risky, moonlight sonata was 2 times olys gold medalist G and G's program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rtureck View Post
    I did not say Nagasu is a 16 y/o out of nowhere in my original post. I said a little 16 y/o girl. I totally disagree with you that Nagasu's talent is second to Sasha, she is IMO way ahead of Sasha.
    Mirai isn't that little anymore, I read an article that said she was 5'4" and 110 pounds which is bigger than Sasha and about the same size as Yuna, Mao, and Miki. She isn't some little pre-pubescent pixie anymore and it annoys me when people say she can only jump and skate the way she does because she is so little. It's like undermining her accomplishments. She is a talented hard working skater who can skate like she does because she is talented and hard working, not because she is the size of a 12 year old, Sasha's the one that's the size of a 12 year old.

Custom Title
    OMG Mirai looked like a giant next to Sasha when you compared the 2 skaters when they were hugging after the competition. Sasha must be like 5' or something.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure88 View Post
    OMG Mirai looked like a giant next to Sasha when you compared the 2 skaters when they were hugging after the competition. Sasha must be like 5' or something.
    Yeah Sasha's like 5'1" and weighed 90 pounds in 2006, probably less now. Mirai is a normal height but looks taller because her legs are long, I also think if Mirai hadn't been a figure skater she should have done gymnastics, she has the shoulders for it.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rtureck View Post
    A vertical Sasha is unbeatable is what some Sasha fans has been saying for years.
    I said it and I'll admit I was wrong. Mirai had something to say about that.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10