7 Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN
8 Kevin VAN DER PERREN BEL
9 Chengjiang LI CHN
10 Stanick JEANNETTE FRA
11 Emanuel SANDHU CAN

mike79

On the Ice
shine said:
Sandhu was MAJORLY robbed in TCS, period.

ITA. I can't believe that Honda would get such high marks compared to Sandhu. Although Sandhu fell on the combo and flubbed a bit of the footwork (which BTW is the best of all the men, Plushenko included) his spins and footwork, line posture, carriage, and everything else are far beyond what Honda can do. I consider myself a Honda fan but a great combo should not make up for an otherwise lacklustre performance.

shine

Record Breaker
Forget Honda, Sandhu should have been really close to Plushenko and even above him in TCS if he didn't have that big splat. The program and his interpretation was simply PHENOMENAL.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Hmm, I find it rather difficult to believe that a Canadian skater would get robbed in Skate Canada competition...

Marjaana

rain

Record Breaker
mens sp

I'm really hoping someone can give detailed recaps - or CTV/TSN replays some of it. I watched the pairs SP, then went to bed, secure in the knowledge that I was taping.....only to find out this morning when I went to view my tape I had set it for the wrong channel. ARGGG!

Anyway, I caught Buttle, but that's it. How did the rest of the men do in comparasin? I saw the standings, but I'm looking for a little program analysis. Thought Buttle was pretty good, but I think it would be in his best interests to eliminate the quad from his short until he has it really securely, and do a triple/triple combo instead and get the marks. He can keep trying the quad in the long where a fall or miss has less impact overall.

mike79

On the Ice
Jaana said:
Hmm, I find it rather difficult to believe that a Canadian skater would get robbed in Skate Canada competition...

Marjaana

Wait until you see the programs so you can judge for yourself. It's not like Honda is the guy from out of town. He trains 45 minutes away from where the event is being held. His program is inferior to Sandhu's. Honda is using category 1 for almost everything in his program while Sandhu is using category 2 and category 3 for his.

What happened to Li? He must have messed up big time to get such a low score on the tech.

Mathman

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I'll have to wait until a week from Monday to see the actual programs on ESPN 2 -- if they are televised -- but while I felt that the PE scores in Skate America seemed a bit inflated, it is hard for me to believe that a relatively clean Jahnke, whose skating skills and interpretation are usually very, very good, received lower PE scores (low 5's) than a relatively clean Timchenko, whose presentation is relatively juniorish (high 5's). (I'm basing "relatively clean" on the technical elements, where Jahnke scored ~ 8.5 points higher in SC than SA, and Timchenko's improved by over 10 points in TE. Which is quite a lot in the short program, with only eight elements.)

Whether SC is being judged on reputation may be borne out by comparing Honda's and Sandhu's performances, which are more likely to be televised, especially if they do well in the LP.

dfj

On the Ice
Mathman said:
What happened to Li? He must have messed up big time to get such a low score on the tech.

Mathman

Li fell on the quad and had an "unsettled" landing on the 3A. Without the jumps, his program lacks (footwork, spins etc.).

mike79

On the Ice
I must say that Li's presentation has certainly gotten better this year. He still needs to work on his spins though.

shine

Record Breaker
I'm going to repost what I wrote on another board:

Here's the score breakdown for the top 3:

TSS TES TCS SS TR PE CH IN
1 Evgeni PLUSHENKO RUS
81.25 38.80 42.45 8.65 8.15 8.45 8.55 8.65 0.00 #6

2 Takeshi HONDA JPN
77.54 37.64 39.90 8.25 7.55 8.00 8.00 8.10 0.00 #4

3 Emanuel SANDHU CAN
72.14 34.24 37.90 7.50 7.00 7.75 7.65 8.00 0.00 #11

As seen in the marks, the judges thought Honda was better in all catagories of the TCS (total component score) than Sandhu, which I think, having seen the broadcast myself, is RIDICULOUS. IMO this is Sandhu's best SP of his career while Honda's Morozov SP was dull, incohesive, and has nothing special and a big let down after last year's wonderful Layenda. In SS, they should be about equal, as both have wonderful basics. But I always thought Sandhu had more purity of edges and looked more effortless in his stroking. In TR, Sandhu had far more connecting steps and they were well thoughtout. As for PE, where Sandhu should have won by a LANDSLIDE, beating both Plushenko and Honda instead of being marked far behind both, all I can say is BS. In CH, Plush earned a 8.55, Honda a 8.10 and Sandhu a 8.0. Yet Sandhu was definitely superior to Honda in terms of orginality, details, and difficulty (as I already said, it was the best program of all the men shown on TSN), and was on par with Plush here if not better. And in terms of IN, Sandhu should have been above Honda just like in PE, his dancing ability is simply sensational and has such originality, as opposed to to Honda in his Nina Rota R&J mixed with techno SP, in which all he did was occasional gestures to accentuate certain parts. How Sandhu could be 2 whole points below Honda in TCS is completely beyond me. If the judges decided to use CoP, then learn how to use it.

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
I sure hope ABC shows the SP's ... there seems to be alot of talk about this on several boards. I was at SA, and Takeshi had a horrible time in his SP there. I've always liked Sandhu ... this should be very interesting.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
nymkfan51 said:
I sure hope ABC shows the SP's
According to Heather's TV schedule, ESPN2 will show the short programs on Monday 11/10 at 8PM EST. That means we'll have to wait a little over 1 week :( They should show at least the top 3 or 4 in each discipline and all the US skaters.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

bleuchick

On the Ice
Honda's program is pretty conservative. The music is your usual movie soundtrack and he does everything as you would expect. No risk but safe skating but with great technique.

With time, he may become the new Alexei :D

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have not seen other men´s short programmes but that of Sandhu. WOW, I was very impressed by his passion and expressiveness. Always so enjoyable to watch when those come out of skater´s inside and not just out of choreography.

Marjaana

OT -- Why is Emanuel Sandhu's nickname "E-man" instead of the obvious "Sand-man?"

M-man