Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Caydee Denney

Caydee Denney

I'm thinking Cadyee Denny will skate Singles as well as Pairs next season. At what level would she compete in Singles? Novice or Senior? (I just don't know the Rules.)

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    If she skated singles next season, her skills are high enough that she could compete in the senior level, I'm sure

Custom Title
    Last time she skated singles, she skated Junior, I believe. I believe she made it to Sectionals and just missed out on Nationals. Or maybe it was Regionals? I can't remember exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post
    Last time she skated singles, she skated Junior, I believe. I believe she made it to Sectionals and just missed out on Nationals. Or maybe it was Regionals? I can't remember exactly.
    Interesting. I didn't know any of this. Juniors is an age thing for int'l comps, so will she qualify for Seniors?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Interesting. I didn't know any of this. Juniors is an age thing for int'l comps, so will she qualify for Seniors?
    Why do you want to break up such a promising looking Pairs team?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    In the U.S., there is no age limit for juniors or seniors. That's why a lot of times you'll have a US senior skater still competing junior internationally.

Paying the bills
    I'd be very surprised if she did both. Between her training pairs and competing pairs internationally, there's not a lot of time to squeeze in singles practice on top of that. It's fairly common at the lower levels, but by the time skaters get to senior, they usually settle on one discipline. It's pretty tough to do both through qualifying and at Nationals.

Down With It
    Something tells me she'd be better off sticking with her partner. At least for now.

Custom Title
    At this stage of the game, I think she's got to choose between training singles or training pairs. Kristi Yamaguchi had to make the same choice and went with singles, but relative to her times, she had already gotten a lot farther with her singles skating than Caydee has. IMO, Caydee should stick to pairs.

However, if Barrett is intending to retire relatively soon and she doesn't want to go through the search and re-training with a new partner, then maybe it's a different call. But unless she's already got an arsenal of 3-4 good triples, not sure how she will be competitive at upper singles levels, as learning new triples at age 16-17 is a tough row to hoe, though not impossible. Now that she's tasted achievement at the senior and international level in pairs, I'm not sure she'd settle for being a 2nd or 3rd tier skater in singles, stuck in a pack of US ladies with stronger overall skills.

I don't think Jeremy's looking at quitting anytime soon... I think they're looking at, at least, four more years.

n_halifax
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    At this stage of the game, I think she's got to choose between training singles or training pairs. Kristi Yamaguchi had to make the same choice and went with singles, but relative to her times, she had already gotten a lot farther with her singles skating than Caydee has. IMO, Caydee should stick to pairs.
    Kristi wasn't the only one to have had to have made that very difficult decision. In the early 90's, Jenni Meno was a top ranked senior level ladies skater before she had to choose to focus on her pairs career with Scott Wendland - then Todd Sand. 1995 (I believe) or maybe? 1996 was the last season Kyoko Ina competed as a singles skater. Shelby Lyons (of Lyons and Wells) also competed as a senior ladies skater for part of her career as part of one of the U.S.' top pairs teams at the time. But after some point - you pretty much do have to decide on a focus or you never quite reach the cusp. Perfect example come to think of it: two top 5ish singles skaters that finally left singles and pairs skating to focus entirely on pairs - Olympic Gold Medallists Jamie Sale and David Pelletier.

t

She skated Singles and Pairs on rollers and did quite well nationally. I don't think she will split up with Jeremy B. She seems to be a very dynamic skater and can handle both disciplines. It's not unusual in roller comp to skate in more than one discipline so she is used to it. But the cost ($$$) of it on ice is much more than on rollers

Good body, good line, fearless!!! She may change the equation in US Ladies. She skates at high speed and easily makes Triples.
    Last edited by Joesitz; 01-19-2010 at 08:12 AM.

She can't afford the time to do both, especially as the top rated US pair with requisite internationals (GP events). Also, when you do throw jumps, it changes the timing of the related solo jump and can cause problems (triple Sal and Kristi, anyone?).

Out of interest which triple jumps does she land as a single?

It would be a nice change to see SBS triple loops or lutzes.

Ant

Rinkside
    Caydee can do all the triples, including lutz.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast