View Poll Results: Who is your favourite ladies Olympic Gold Medallist?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shizuka Arakawa

15 26.32%
  • Sarah Hughes

1 1.75%
  • Tara Lipinski

2 3.51%
  • Oksana Baiul

7 12.28%
  • Kristi Yamaguchi

10 17.54%
  • Katarina Witt

15 26.32%
  • Annet Potszch

0 0%
  • Dorothy Hamill

2 3.51%
  • Peggy Fleming

3 5.26%
  • Other (Please Specify)

2 3.51%

Thread: Favourite Ladies Olympic Gold Medallist

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar

Favourite Ladies Olympic Gold Medallist

Who is your favourite ladies Olympic Gold Medallist?

Shizuka, Oksana, and Witt! I didn't vote at the men's poll because I couldn't really pick any. I couldn't vote here either, because I couldn't really decide between these three!

BTW, those skaters are many years apart that it is kind of difficult to make a comparison esp with changes in rules and trends in jumps.

I have faith in the swan futureidol's Avatar
    I was in 3rd grade when Kristi won and Paul got the silver, it's one of my fondest skating memories. Those two really made me fall in love with figure skating.

Kristi Yamaguchi - her legacy is something to behold, IMHO... love her love her love her!

Other -- Carol Heiss!

Custom Title
    Interesting...I thought I'd choose Peggy Fleming, whom I've always loved, but there's something so appealing and admirable about Kristi through the whole length of her career, from the days when she was skating both singles and pairs through her professional career, even to her stint on Dancing with the Stars. There's something straightforward and unfussy about her personality that really appeals to me. Her skating's that way, too, strong but light, intrepid but graceful. And after all these years, she's still one of just a few Olympic competitors who managed a triple-triple during the competition.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Dorothy...but I could have gone with Carol Heiss, too. I even loved her in the Celebrex ads.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Hmm. Interesting. This poll made me realize how few of my favorite skaters in the past two decades have actually won gold medals. I picked Oksana Baiul because when she won her Olympic gold medal she WAS my favorite skater of the event. The only reason I didn't pick Kristi Yamaguchi was because she fell in her Olympic performance ... It doesn't tarnish her legacy or anything since she had so many other amazing skates. But that particular moment just wasn't as brilliant as the skate-of-their-lives moments Tara Lipinski and Sarah Hughes had to win their gold medals. I love Tara Lipinski's Olympic FS more than her overall skating career. But Oksana - I just love her skating, period. I know her Olympic skate was flawed but it was so exquisite and unique. It's just too bad she didn't keep competing.
    My favorite skaters of the past decade are Michelle, Irina and Sasha. I guess that made the last two Olympics a bit of a disappointment for me.